Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

I think the only advice I'd have for anyone is to two-hand your way through the first phase, then bring out your shield for the second so that you can block his repeating crossbow (make sure your shield has 100% physical absorption, of course), then go back to two-handing in the third phase. If Gael breaks your guard in phase 1 or 3, you're pretty much screwed.

TittieMcFuckFace

Souls: 50.00
or git gud and dodge the attacks? your tactic isn't bad but just that on NG7 that won't do*****
lol I was on NG+9 when I wrote this. Obviously you're going to do a*****-ton of dodging in this fight, even in Phase 2. It's just plain stupid NOT to use a shield when he uses his crossbow, otherwise you're risking a significant amount of HP for every time he starts firing at you. Virtually nothing else can be blocked, which is specifically why I said only in Phase 2 should you risk using a shield, if you're going to use one at all (mind you I was using Shield of Want for them extra $ouls). I think you might want to heed your own advice and git gud, TittyMcNoGirlfriend
You can just walk (not even run) to your right instead of blocking the arrows.
Not a bad boss, but rather boring, has cool moveset, is complete tank and has interesting background, but he's atacks are easy to dodge or block with good shield, and at the end of the day, this boss is all about tiring you out, until you make a mistake on which he will capitalize. So be patient, and remember Orphan of Kos aka one mistake and you're dead on ng+.
I mean is no one gonna mention that this arena is straight-up the landscape we're shown in the intro? You can even see Lothric Castle off in the distance...
Bandit Knife utterly wrecks Gael, especially when Blood infused (even better with a Luck build) and with fast roll (sub 30% weight). He'll usually bleed every four or so hits, and with the Bandit Knife that's happens pretty fast. As long as you don't mash R1, you can easily roll after every attack, which means even during his combos you can poke him, roll, poke and roll until he bleeds or gets staggered. Of course, you'll still need to learn his attack timings and what not, but with the speed of the Bandit Knife and the extra distance on the "fast" roll for emergencies, you can catch yourself even if you make a mistake. Quickstep also comes in handy for when you want to make a quick reaction dodge while remaining in range to punish. As cheesy as it sounds, it's pretty damn fun and hectic to off him this way. Another thing is that he seems to enter Phase 2 much earlier with this style, probably due to the number of hits/staggers he takes.
Ah quickstep, the one-size-fits-all solution to ds3.
My criteria for a boss fight to be considered "good" is that dying to the boss increases the enjoyment, knowing that you'll have more time to fight them before the next NG.

Gael... doesn't quite meet this requirement. He gets a little boring after like the third attempt, mainly because you know all his moves and how to counter them, but it's easy to get impatient in this long-ass fight and get yourself killed. I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but out of the two "hardest bosses" in Soulsborne, I'd say Orphan of Kos was way more fun. OoK demanded aggressive play (mainly in Phase 2), whereas Gael just requires you to be observant and know how to dodge and when to punish, but with the added irritation of his stupidly high HP.

If it wasn't for the cool arena, I honestly wouldn't care one bit for this boss fight.
go ***** yourself
I've killed Orphan in one try with Rakuyo, dodging one way and using same attacks (aka know when to dodge and when to punish), it wasn't all too exciting.
Anyone who thinks Gael was too easy is lying. I mean, you have to have died at least once. Every boss is easy once you've mastered them.
I did die but he was kind of easy, but despite being easy, he was *****ing awesome to fight XD
well, after dozens of time against the Nameless King, I honestly didn't die against Gael, I used Farron GreatSword, and kept hitting only once at a time unless he staggers, managed to get actually hit only two times, and several times by his cape in 2nd and 3rd phase, but with 12 Estus, and a Chloranty ring +3, he was manageable
Fear not the Frost, my friend, and let the feast begin.
The way I think of it, we're not meeting up with Gael in the future, per se, but we're awakening from the delirious vision of the past, manufactured by Gwyn himself, to the truthful world at present. Gael hasn't been fighting for eons--quite the opposite, in fact. Knowing he was no champion, Gael was fated to die time and time again to countless foes, Hollowing himself beyond return. It's just the same as any Undead, even the player.

Despite this curse, Gael kept true to his duty, to collect the pigment colored like the dark soul of man for his Lady's painting, to restore the home of the forlorn before the close of the Age of Fire. Even when his sword shattered, and his crossbow splintered, Gael continued to fight until finally he got it right, gaining his way to the Pygmy Lords, at which point he discovered their blood had dried long ago, and so consumed the Dark Soul in order to alter his own blood.
each of his attacks barely take 1/10th of my stamina with a +5 black knight shield.....
Try doing it on NG+5 or higher and tell me how easily you can block him
Everyone here is complaining about Gael being the last boss or him being too "easy" for a last boss, yet everyone fails to see the true significance of this fight.

Gael wasn't an ancient godly lord or king like Gwyn and the Pygmy lords, he wasn't a respected and sung knight of legend like Ornstein and Artorias, he wasn't a gifted scholar like Vendrick's brother or Seath the scaleless. Hell, he wasn't even a free man.

He was just another slave used for wars, just a random hollow that managed to make it all the way to the end of the world out of sheer perseverance and luck. Gael is literally the same as us, the players. Someone that's decided to destroy the fake world of the gods and give the world of man a chance to truly begin.

What makes this fight truly so meaningful is that we aren't fighting a full-scale war against a "Super ultra mega dragon overlord god of the abyssmal hell" with volcanoes exploding all around the planet and fire raining from the skies as armies kill the **** out of each other (Okay, maybe a bit too exaggerated, but you get the idea) or any of that over the top action movie bull****, we are fighting someone who is like us. It's a battle between two hollows, which are probably two of the very few remaining living beings out there, that managed to outlive and defeat everything and everyone else and reach the end of the god's fake world. Both of them waging a battle that would be seen by none, and would probably be never spoken of.

The final fight isn't one meant to blow your mind with pure baddassery or to leave you in total awe, it's a fight to show you that despite the god's mighty powers, despite the scholar's unrivaled intelect, despite the neverending ability and fame of all the gifted knights and warriors out there, the ones that truly made it to the end, the ones that truly surpassed all the hardships and enemies that stood in their way, were none other than two random hollows, both unknown and nameless to the rest of the world, who didn't count with might, intellect or fame. Instead, they had the perseverance to never give up and keep getting back up to fight, no matter how many times or how hard they got kicked back down to the ground.

Gael suffered through endless harships and battles, constantly losing in the same way we did, yet jumped right back up and kept fighting until he won, just like us the players, before finally reaching the end of the line. Some may see him as anticlimatic, but I find it very meaningful that the last boss of the franchise, and the one to bring closure to the endless cycle of the firelinking curse, is none other than Gael.
''who didn't count with might, intellect or fame''

BRO, IM A 60 INTELLIGENCE PRO
IF THERE'S ANYTHING I COUNT WITH
IS MY POWERFUL INTELLECT
GIT GUD

great text, btw, loved it.