Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

*Chaos Dagger*
Mmmm yeah boi
In PVE, this ring is absolute garbage. Don't expect a 30% increase like in DS1. From what I see, it only boosted my crits by 10-15%. But it's funny how in PVP, it one-shots people.
Well, without the ring i was doing 1000 riposte damage on hollows on the high wall of lothric, now with the ring I'm doing 1309. I'm not getting the fancy animation like in PvP but I'm still getting a good 30% increase. (Also using Sharp Rapier + 9, leo ring,40 dex, and 10 str)
In PvE, this ring does pretty much nothing, unless you kill Gundyr and Pontiff for a living.

Vortexy

Souls: 65.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Nah man. It's so you can riposte all the really weak hollows throughout the game and absolutely make sure that they're dead in one shot.
You can one shot them either way.
It's quite useful against Lothric Knights, Cathedral Knights and Ringed Knights.
PvE and PvParry
That's really oddly specific how the Abyss Watchers must be defeated prior to getting this ring. Perhaps it has something to do with this being hawkwoods grave but A, the hornet ring had nothing to do with any of them (unless as ciarens ring it is near the successors to Astorias, but whatever) and B, that's just going a little bit too far on the specifics, like anyone not in ng+ will get to this point before abyss watchers. What do I know, though.

liliane_of_londor

Souls: 75.00
Wiki Edits: 5
The Abyss Watchers were inspired by Knight Artorias. That's why you can transpose their soul into his weapon. At Untended Graves, you can buy Artorias' armor. The grave is a reference to Artorias' grave that Ciaran can be found praying to in Dark Souls. The grave is almost identical, including the bouquet of flowers laid upon it by Ciaran after you defeat Artorias, but features the addition of a Farron Greatsword. Ciaran is the NPC in Dark Souls that you acquire Hornet Ring from.

I'm not smart enough to understand how all these pieces of lore combine to make the Hornet Ring only appear after defeating Abyss Watchers, but the reasons are there. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the Abyss Watchers weapon has a built-in parry mechanic so they are using the Hornet Ring and you must defeat them for them to drop it. Hopefully someone else can come through and connect these dots.
theres also the fact that Hawkwoods shield is a parry shield, and that shields were frowned upon in the leigon: "The unique swordsmanship of the Watchers would no allow such a shield, and Hawkwood's very possession of it was telltale of his defeat." so it goes to believe that this ring might have been his and he used it with that parry shield.
FromSoftware honestly doesn't know how to follow basic logic.
With 40 STR, 40 DEX, 10 INT, 10 FTH,
the Bandit's Knife +10 and Blessed LKS +10 have 249 AR and 260 AR respectively.
They both have a LISTED 110 critical number. So theoretically, the Blessed LKS should deal more damage on backstabs and ripostes.
I tested on the Drakeblood Knight on NG+6. With no Hornet Ring, a parry and riposte dealt 516 damage with the Bandit's Knife; 367 damage with the Blessed LKS.
Thank you, Miyazaki.
I tried to control damage types and elements, having both the Bandit's Knife and Blessed LKS deal only physical damage, but I am unsure what type of physical damage criticals deal. Even then I'm sure the Bandit's Knife would still deal more damage.
Daggers deal more damage with critical hits. Thats their special effect.
I understand that's their special effect, but From could of just put the dagger numbers as 180 or at least a lot closer to what they actually deal.

Vortexy

It's working as intended, it's just that the way it's intended to work isn't the way we are told it works.
Actually, it's because daggers in the hornet ring riposte do most of their damage in a single hit, which means more damage gets through resistances and absorption. The more spread out the damage is between hits in the riposte animation, the less damage gets through armour.

Vortexy

Sometimes I feel sorry for people who get Hornet Ring riposted. I remember one time I had one equipped just so I could cheese an NPC invasion and then a bit after that I got invaded by someone dressed as Solaire. Poor guy hit me once before he got insta-killed with a hornet ring riposte. I'd forgot I still had it equipped and I was just amazed at the fact that I just erased that poor man off the face of the Earth.
The location, and the fact that you can buy artorias armor in dark shrine, suggess that Ciaran founded the Undead Legion after we kill Artorias in DS1 (its also implied that she was "in love" with artorias)
We already know for a fact that she was in love with him, she did ask for his soul after all
The % of critical damage increased now depends on infusion
What is meaning?
Same Weapon(+10), same AR but unlike infusion → unlike hornet ripostes damage?
ex) sharp dagger +10 AR 200 hornet ripostes vs Hollow dagger +10 AR 200 hornet ripostes → unlike damage?
Yeah, I looked it up because I saw weird results. Raw astora ss +3 gets 20% but chaos astora as +3 gets 24% bonus
Raw rapier +3 gets 9% but chaos rapier +3 gets 30%. Still doing testing to figure out the pattern. Why it is no longer a flat gain rate makes no sense to me.
Dark hand gets over 50% gain? What the neck is going on?
All ma niggas in da house say yeah!
meh