Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Gladiator25

Souls: 87.00
Hi I'm sorry for "repost", I've already asked for this on DS1 forum, but it's not really active and I doubt anyone will ever answer me there... So is there anyone who knows how is it with DS/DS3 copyrights? I'm doing web application for my school project and since I like DS a lot I got inspired by it a bit. So... can I actually use pictures from the game for my project? Like screens of bosses, equipment and stuff like this? Since wiki has permissions for this, do everyone have it? Or is it exception made only for wiki? I'm not going to earn any money for this, if it helps with question.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 43,175.50
Wiki Edits: 561
I don't know that much about the specifics of copyright law, but I do know that whether or not you're using it for profit has nothing to do with the legality of it. I also know that giving credit or disclaimers that you don't own the rights to the images also has nothing to do with anything, either.

That said, if I've been keeping track correctly, there have been thirteen people before you who used Dark Souls for a school project on this site alone. Add in all the other gaming news outlets who regularly use screenshots for their articles...

Just a guess, but I don't think there'll be a problem here, regardless of how legal it is. That said, hopefully this website should answer your question a little better.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 43,175.50
Wiki Edits: 561
Ah, here we are.

The fair use doctrine says that otherwise copyrighted works may be used for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. To decide whether a use is "fair use" or not, courts consider:

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; (2) the nature of the copyrighted work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Parody is also fair use.

Teaching, scholarship, and research falls under Fair Use, so I think you'll be fine.

Gladiator25

Souls: 87.00
Ah, thanks :) This helps a lot.