Anything without a home!
 351 
Reply  
Avatar

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:44 pm
Souls: 50.00
Bank: 4,558.00
Posts: 1004
Reputation: 28
Wiki Edits: 5
#3501
EldritchImagination wrote:Welp, I got bored and decided to quit the level 1 run. After Wolnir, I just wasn't feeling it. I just don't share the passion challenge runners have to play the game in such a way. Of course, the fact that I do find Dark Souls 3 kind of boring in general doesn't help either. Not that it wasn't fun at first, buuut that wore away quickly.

dark souls 3 is to linear for an interesting sl 1 run. i've done a sl 1 run for dark souls 1 and all the interest is in how far you can bend the order of the game to create a twink build as soon as possible.
Avatar

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,750.00
Bank: 0.00
Posts: 5445
Reputation: 262
Wiki Edits: 3
#3502
qeter wrote:
EldritchImagination wrote:Welp, I got bored and decided to quit the level 1 run. After Wolnir, I just wasn't feeling it. I just don't share the passion challenge runners have to play the game in such a way. Of course, the fact that I do find Dark Souls 3 kind of boring in general doesn't help either. Not that it wasn't fun at first, buuut that wore away quickly.

dark souls 3 is to linear for an interesting sl 1 run. i've done a sl 1 run for dark souls 1 and all the interest is in how far you can bend the order of the game to create a twink build as soon as possible.


At least I can have pride that I beat Bloodborne blood level 4. I might return to Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls. Getting tired of my PS4 games at the moment, and got a few PS3 and PS1 games I want to play.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.
Avatar

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: International waters
Souls: 22,906.50
Posts: 11906
Reputation: 387
Wiki Edits: 18
#3503
Blueberries.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
Avatar

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 pm
Location: USA, the Mitten
Souls: 9,898.50
Posts: 1940
Reputation: 40
#3504
That season was short here, think it's wrapping up now. I like to go out every year if I can, pick until I get tired then go home and make jam.

Spent today processing tomatoes from the garden into salsa and juice. Haven't canned anything in ages, so I was happy to hear the little "plink!" as the lids sealed themselves.
Avatar

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: International waters
Souls: 22,906.50
Posts: 11906
Reputation: 387
Wiki Edits: 18
#3505
I am discovering that I like the Shadowrun tabletop systems (convoluted as they can be) better than D&D. Rolling a whole pile of d6 (1 for each skillpoint you have) instead of 1d20 makes you way less likely to be screwed over by bad luck. The way it works is that there are 2 types of "critical fail," both of which can actually still result in a success that somehow goes wrong. They involve rolling a whole bunch of 1s, but because you need to roll a bunch of 1s, you're way less likely to run into it if you have a high skill, and because you can still beat the threshold or opponents rolls while getting those 1s you can succeed, but still mess it up. Like "you hit this person so hard...that your weapon breaks" type thing.

Also it tends to favor preperation and planning over raw power. In general, guns/melee weapons/ magic hit their softcaps in terms of damage and accuracy fairly quickly (accuracy being a limit on how much damage you can do, but I can't get into it without a much longer explaination) with only magical people can take them over that point, and even if they choose to do so it takes an unrealistic amount of "experience" after the first time or 2 unless you're using that same character across half a dozen campaigns or more, and while the player characters will generally be more powerful than the random guards, with so much of the characters strength being tied to having decent guns and armor they can still prove to be really dangerous, especially given that there are more of them than you, and if it comes to a fight you're likely on a time limit before SWAT shows up and ruins your day as they'll be 20 of them, and they'll all have high quality stuff.

I like it, and if you like pen and paper games and are the kind of person who can deal with D&D 3.5s complex ruleset, you should try it.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
Avatar

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am
Location: Nebraska
Souls: 26,331.00
Posts: 4436
Reputation: 270
Wiki Edits: 41
#3506
Anyone interested in absolver? I likely won't have access to it till next year since i'm on xbox. I like the concept. But from footage shown it seems like it's not even ready to launch yet it's dropping on the 29th. It sounds like an incredibly ambitious game which has me worried.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.
Avatar

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 pm
Location: USA, the Mitten
Souls: 9,898.50
Posts: 1940
Reputation: 40
#3507
Well I'm a little on the fence about it. It looks pretty interesting, almost every preview says good things (and it's sites I trust saying this) and the gameplay and fighting look pretty good. It's also an indie game from a bunch of veteran devs, who seem to know what they are doing.

Maybe the multiplayer won't work quite right, since it's P2P, but I trust it more than For Honor.
Avatar

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am
Location: Nebraska
Souls: 26,331.00
Posts: 4436
Reputation: 270
Wiki Edits: 41
#3508
Lich180 wrote:Well I'm a little on the fence about it. It looks pretty interesting, almost every preview says good things (and it's sites I trust saying this) and the gameplay and fighting look pretty good. It's also an indie game from a bunch of veteran devs, who seem to know what they are doing.

Maybe the multiplayer won't work quite right, since it's P2P, but I trust it more than For Honor.


My main issue is everything but the core gameplay. That in it's own seems solid enough (at least for launch purposes anyway) The story sounds very thin and practically not needed outside being a giant tutorial. The sounds for fighting make it seem boring as heck. Everything basically sounds the same regardless of what kind of hit you make. And visually it looks like things are lacking textures everywhere. Say what you want about for honor and it's balance or lack there of. At least the combat feels good and the world it's in is visually impressive.

I get that it's a small team and everything but still. At least they're not asking for triple A price when selling it. We don't need another no mans sky.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.
Avatar

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,750.00
Bank: 0.00
Posts: 5445
Reputation: 262
Wiki Edits: 3
#3509
Nope. Besides my lack of decent internet connection (which may change soon), while the fighting move customization sounds cool, knowing gamers, you can bet they'll have a meta within the week, and I don't trust the balance. There's a difference in approach when it comes to reviewers who just want to analyze the game to see if its aspects are fun, solid, and functional, and hordcore dedicated gamers who will reverse engineer the game trying to find the best ways to win.

Then, as you said, the visuals and sound don't really catch me, and I don't really care for the camera angle for a fighting game. I typically prefer my fighting games Smash bros style, or like War of the Monsters.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.
Avatar

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am
Location: Nebraska
Souls: 26,331.00
Posts: 4436
Reputation: 270
Wiki Edits: 41
#3510
EldritchImagination wrote:Nope. Besides my lack of decent internet connection (which may change soon), while the fighting move customization sounds cool, knowing gamers, you can bet they'll have a meta within the week, and I don't trust the balance. There's a difference in approach when it comes to reviewers who just want to analyze the game to see if its aspects are fun, solid, and functional, and hordcore dedicated gamers who will reverse engineer the game trying to find the best ways to win.

Then, as you said, the visuals and sound don't really catch me, and I don't really care for the camera angle for a fighting game. I typically prefer my fighting games Smash bros style, or like War of the Monsters.


Do you just live in an area with spotty connection? I know some people like that.
Well yeah. there is a meta to pretty much anything that involves player interaction with other players.

Yeah honestly that's what is hurting it the most for me. I love the concept. the idea behind the setting of the universe. I just can't really get into it because the sounds and visuals are too bare for me to care about anything.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.
 351