- Tue May 10, 2022 5:20 pm
YES! FINALLY! DIE YOU STUPID OVERGROWN SNAKE, DIE!
Melee, SL 140, 31 VIG, 36 END, 35 VIT, 75 STR, 12 DEX, 9 Int, 10 FTH (and 14 ATT because I died a lot and didn't want to swap 3-4 rings to have Tears for every attempt)
Oh and 7 luck, lol.
Yhorm's Great Machete and Black Knight Shield, along with a blessed Caestus and blessed broken SSword in MH and OH.
There's plenty of moments where you can't hit him, no matter how aggro you are, and you need all the HP you can get. So switching to a healing-stick can give you a fair bit of easy recovery.
Yhorm's Machete is actually better than the "Dragonslayer" Greataxe for this fight. Yhorm's deals about 620 damage to his face, while DSGA deal 550ish. Yhorm's has a better WA too,
Estus Ring, Steel Protection+3, Chloranty+3, FAP+3. Chewed on grass constantly. Started the fight unembered, because embering at low HP works as a massive heal.
A FEW TIPS:
1) Unless you have a lot of FTH, Yhorm's Great Machete will outdamage Dragonslayer GA. 1H R1's did about 600ish to his face while DSGA did 550ish. YGM also has a better WA for the fight, DSGA's is just too slow. Also I think Yhorm's has a bit more range.
2) If you're using a greatweapon, enable manual aiming in the options menu. If you're not used to using it, practice.
3) With Greataxes specifically, I'd reccomend mainly using them 1-handed. Most of the time when you get a window, you can safely smack him twice with 1H R1s, but getting in 2 2-handed attacks seems unfeasible. This also lets you use a shield.
4) BOOP THE SNOOT. Not only does it deal 2x damage, anything else will make him use his ranged/jank attacks. I tried a 40/40 str/fth build with DSGA and Sage Ring, but every time I healed he'd firebomb or laser me and I'd keep get pushed back until death.
5) Lightning Bundles/Resin only. He's just too resistant to any other element. Even Resin is kind of risky, when trying with buffable weapons using it would often result in getting hit.
6) Very important- He only has 75% HP. Learning that he falls for an easy finisher at about 25% makes the fight psychologically much easier. You can be much more liberal with Estus with this in mind.
7) When it comes to armor- the Black Knights knew what they were doing. You need to protect mainly from Strike damage, Fire, and lastly Dark. Black Knight Shield, with 85% fire absorb, is perfect. Havel's gives a tiny bit extra stability and fire absorb at a massive weight cost. Midir has so many fast/jank moves that being able to quickly L1 them for chip damage (most of his physical attacks have some shield pierce; or they might deal extra dark damage or something) is invaluable. Dodging is still better.
8) STR also gives you strong flat defense against Physical and Fire damage compared to other stats. It doesn't make you invincible, but it helps.
9) Have Divine/Hidden Blessing and Siegbrau in an item slot. There's no better time to use them, and opening the item menu and scrolling to them might get you killed.
When I finally killed him, the fight only took about 5 minutes.