Comments made to our Dark Souls Wiki
By pelida77
Ok first of all you need to understand that there are different weapons with different types of attacks.
The Thrust weapons are the ones that attack with like a pierce or a forward thrust (opposite to Slash Weapons: Horizontal or sort of vertical slash). Thrust weapons are kind of clumsy so FromSoft in their infinite wisdom designed for them a unique combat mechanic: Counter Damage.
If your opponent throws an attack, hit or miss (doesn't matter), you have a brief window of opportunity, usually same time or immediately after, to throw back at him a hit with a Thrust weapon and get an extra damage output, that's a counter. Now, the Leo Ring boost a +40% of that Counter Damage (do not confused with Stagger Damage: a different mechanic). That's why its a good idea to pair Thrust Weapons with a Leo Ring.
Now the problem is, and here comes the confusion, that there are some weapons that are not Thrust weapons (some are even listed exclusively as Slash), but still have 1 type of thrusty attack (or even just the shape), and if you execute a counter with them (using that very specific "thrusty" attack) and the Leo Ring you still get the bonus. Take a look at this page of the wiki to see what weapons (and attacks) benefit from the ring.

By Anonymous
This ring confuses me. I tried using this with my crystal halberd, and im pretty sure it worked?
By Anonymous
hey what does this ring mean by "counter" damage? like does every thrust attack get a 40% boost or is there a parameter?
By Anonymous
Read the article then
By Anonymous
I killed smough then Ornstein and it didn’t drop for me I giss it becuse the summon im sure i got it before whene i killed him solo
By Anonymous
It drops on the ground, I just encountered a bug where super orstein grabbed me with the spear thrust with one hit to go and then fell out of the level kinda like centipede demon. It wasn’t in the treasure chest behind Frampt either.
By King_Havel
Sorry, my bad. I made a small confusion while writing my sentence 😅 Yap, in know. Spearboi should be killed last. And that's why I did. But the ring didn't drop at all. I have a feeling that DSfix is causing some issues, because I've installed it just recently and have never had this issue before that. I also noticed another issue, after DSfix: when I first got to Elizabeth (the mushroom girl in the DLC), she was already killed o.O The only thing I saw was her drop.
By King_Havel
Wtf are these downvotes, really. Was simply sharing an issue.
By Anonymous
I just had him fall out of the level after grabbing and throwing me. Resting at the bonfire and reloading did nothing.