Discuss the Forums, the blog and Wikis
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,414.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
With the new forum and systems in place we have unprecedented transparency in the reputation system. As such, the moderator team is able to review reputation given on an individual basis with relative ease. As everyone is likely aware, part of the new system asks for an explanation to accompany the rating given by each user.

The above information does not represent any new information regarding the reputation system. However, what is new, is the fact that there have been several suspicious uses of the reputation system already. Boosting and rep trolling are not allowed.

Examples of suspicious reputation gifts include, but are not limited to the following:
-Users who have been inactive for extended periods of time logging in for what appears the sole reason of giving reputation points
-Reputation given in now unused threads by members who were present for the discussion in these threads as it occurred
-In some circumstances, reputation given without a supporting reason
-Negative reputation given to "get back" at someone who legitimately gave you negative reputation
-Negative reputation given to those stating ideas that support our forums guidelines - for example negative notes on moderator responses when a thread is getting heated or locked

The information at the top of this was reiterated to further increase the notion of transparency with this new process, specifically as it pertains to the moderator team. In essence, it ain't no thang for us to peruse the latest reputation gifts to see if boosting or other misuses are being performed.

The expectation is that these, and other, misuses will not continue. As always, feel free to ask questions to myself or other members of the moderator team, and report any instances you believe need moderator consideration.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Serious_Much

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 2,231.00
Bank: 9,035.66
Wiki Edits: 22
Nice one skare.

TL:DR- be responsible with your rep folks, only give it to those deserving and for things deserving.

Don't make us nuke rep, it's not good :twistedevil:
"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"
Forum Guidelines- Have a peek
Shop IconShop Icon

Hart

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 4,165.30
Bank: 14,387.00
Wiki Edits: 118
Is this going to mean the mod-squad's cracking down on rep given for witty retorts and satire?

Whether it undermines the system or not (IMO not seeing as the people who make the best jokes are usually also quite smart and worth hearing out when being srs) a good portion of my rep given on the last forum was based on the idea that "I laugh, I rep."

Just thought I'd ask and avoid the need for another one of these threads as it appears you guiz are taking the rep moderation more seriously than I thought.
Make a list of the things that make you happy.
Make a list of the things you do every day.
Compare.
Adjust accordingly.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,414.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
As the newest member of the mod squad I'll just give an answer and assume I speak for everyone.

My stance is that those posts have added to the culture of the forum and are fine to give rep to
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
Yes, Yes I totally Agree.

I see people getting Rep for doing nothing new, in old threads. I've found it very annoying that people would try to abuse this system and was even considering bringing it up with the admin staff.

It's most obvious when the very old members who aren't even contributing all that much now, just seem to be climbing and climbing.

Edit... I think a big mistake happened with Encore though.
He had repped a post of mine one day, thinking I had asked him to, when all I was doing was ranting to him about how it's being abused. He.. must have had some sort of intention for doing it, (and clearly misunderstood me) but he even said that he was doing it "because you asked me to."

Well... I feel embaressed now....
Last edited by Soul_of_Stray_Demon on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cronotis

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 64.00
Bank: 338.00
I never liked rep systems on any message board that had one. Trying to create a system that assigns a numerical value to how "reputable" members are always seemed rather arbitrary to me, and susceptible to abuse. Good luck to the mods in trying to keep this one honest. I think I'll just continue to ignore it though. :no see:

Shag said Twizzle

Serious_Much

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 2,231.00
Bank: 9,035.66
Wiki Edits: 22
It's more abuse of the system we are looking for. I personally think a well timed joke is valuable as a well thought point in a discussion to the forum. Both contribute to the atmosphere, and some, if meriting, do deserve a rep or two thrown their way.

Obviously it's not totally set in stone, but we'd just like to ensure there's no misuse of rep for now.
"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"
Forum Guidelines- Have a peek
Shop IconShop Icon

Soris_Ice_Goldwing

Lordvessel
Honorary Rhogar

Souls: 111.00
Bank: 208.00
I will not lie from day one I hated the most popular member thing based on rep. It hit me as a "who can show off more" then...whatever the intent was, I think it was added far too early. I hate to say this as well but I have a lingering feeling that there is a race to get everyone's rep back to what they were on the old forum (which only makes sense to me for the members who had 100+ rep, no offense I just have to make this point) and that is where I think the issues lie.

reim0027

Lordvessel
Honorary Rhogar

Souls: 2,234.49
I know there are a variety of feelings about the rep system. In the past, it was abused at times (both positive rep and negative rep), and we could do very little about it. It is only for the rare inappropriate repping that we will need to get involved. The new rep system is very transparent and we are trying to help the rep system to have meaning and to eliminate the abuse of it.

PSN: reim0027_2,  reim0027_3, reim0027_5.  Skype: reim0027  
Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  /  Official Wiki Fight Club / Forest Invasion Soul Levels /
Low Level Invasion Rules
While transparent there are a few big problems I would like to point out.

Some posts made in here dealing with the forums, can get repped, even by a huge amount.

For example, and I am only pointing this out because of how glaring it is. Tolvo's making of the what this forums means to you thread is at 8 rep already. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24922

While it is a good post, I don't think one would be able to argue that it is good enough to deserve 8 rep, (5 of which all come from the same person,) when there are a few other threads out there, that not only directly improve the forums, but involve an equally incredible amount of time and effort.

(Sorry Tolvo, not picking on you, you're just a glaring example)

Also I would like to ask that mods not be able to directly rate a user. While I do they know they can favor some users over others (for they are humans), to directly rep a user up, while not doing it to others, is pointing out a favorite member, something of which I'm sure a lot of us, would agree should be not done by the moderation and adminstration staff.
Last edited by Soul_of_Stray_Demon on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.