So one of the final runs I want to do is a human noble archer who marries Anora. But I have a few questions. I am not really all that sure what an archer should be leveling up. I hear strength and cunning are required to make a good archer build? Can anyone clarify how to build up a good archer?

Also, I am interested in marrying Anora, but I do not want to let Loghain live. Is it still possible to have Loghain killed by still marry Anora? I'm guessing make Alistair kill Loghain and not harden Alistair? Any input would be appreciated. 

capn233

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 88.00

For rogue, people would either go dex, or a mix of dex and cunning probably.

Pure dex is better when you get to Awakening since the Accuracy talent gives you huge bonuses based on dex.

In Origins, there is the "auto-crit" build that is essentially a cunning rogue that takes Duelist and Bard as specs.  I used that and it was decent.  I did not use Shale though, so I wasn't running 100% crit chance at any stage of the game, but it was still fine.

-This evidence is irrefutable.

It really depends what type of archer you wanna be. If you're gonna go whole-hog on the sneaky thief max crit rogue archer, you'll want to pump Cunning as much as possible. You need 36 Dexterity to use the best bows, otherwise max that Cun, your stealth/bard songs/etc use it, and with Lethality, you can use it to equip armor.

Bard and Duelist are the better specializations - Assassin does nothing for archers. Ranger only summons animal buddies, which is useful at lower levels to keep the heat off you and fitting for a Dalish, but doesn't directly help your archery.

If you just want to shot arrow gud and not worry about min-maxing, lockpicking, stealth or such, try a warrior archer and pump Dexterity (and Strength until you can wear the armor you want).

Stay away from crossbows unless you have a mod, and get the Repeater Gloves from Return to Ostagar.

For me the problem for an archer is hitting stuff or a low to hit rate.  This means you should get alot of dexterity.  I go 2 dex. to 1 cunning.  I don't like the repeater gloves since they didn't really work better than not using them for me you get better critical without them.  Hate the Aim talent as too slow and recomend just getting a rapid aim bow.

capn233

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

otherwise max that Cun, your stealth/bard songs/etc use it, and with Lethality, you can use it to equip armor.

Lethality only replaces strength for damage calculation, still have to use strength for armor.

Warrior will make a good archer, but somewhat not as popular with Rogue Archer

As a warrior, you don't really need high Dexterity to hit, because you have Precise Striking and Perfect Striking to help you in low to mid level. They work, but only for the hit rate, not the critical bonus.

Use Rapid Shot, it is more useful than Aim, multiple hits with normal damage by Rapid Shot is worth it than one shot from Aim, unless you have gears to counter the slow rate of fire from Aim.

Bravery will add critical depends on how many enemies you face, so you can tank while being archer, if you can't handle it just Disengage. Defensive Shot is good for tanking

As a Warrior you don't need Cunning other than the bonuses you get, armor penetration doesn't matter, you deal decent damage in the end.

Just increase Dexterity and Strength to the max, or Dexterity to the max and Strength for armor you want to wear, it doesn't really matter.

Don't worry about critical, because your companions buff and magic can cover it, also some gears.

Only Champion and Templar specialization work for Warrior Archer, Berserker and Reaver do not. Templar Righteous Strike don't work sadly, but others do.

Warrior Archer is easy playing, the only downside is cannot lock pick and disarm traps. As HN it is fine because HN origin don't have traps early on, but you can't unlock chests in the castle. Other origins have traps early on, Dalish especially and Tamlen is not a Rogue.

Enjoy!

Cunning builds are vastly over-rated.

Archers tend to miss a fair bit, and Cunning based build will miss a lot.

Dex gives points to hit and damage, Cunning only to damage.

IMO Cunning is mainly useful in a bard based build to support the rest of the team with Song of Courage. I would prefer to leave that to Leliana, rather than my main character.

Other than a support Bard with Song of Courage, I would never do a Cunning based Build.

capn233

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Cunning is always useful to a rogue, especially if you care to use rogue talents.

I don't see why a Cunning archer wouldn't take Bard.  And given that Song of Courage stacks, you don't have to pick a single party member to be the only character giving that buff.

Cunning rogue of whatever weapon talent should have decent hit rate if built properly.

Cunning is always useful to a rogue, especially if you care to use rogue talents.

I don't see why a Cunning archer wouldn't take Bard.  And given that Song of Courage stacks, you don't have to pick a single party member to be the only character giving that buff.

Cunning rogue of whatever weapon talent should have decent hit rate if built properly.

Cunning is useful. Maxing it out is a waste, and vastly overrated.

My Rogue that I finished with was actually a Strength Rogue, but I respec'd him as a Dex vs Cunning Archer.

Dex Archer:

Defense: 166

Attack: 127 (SoC 131)

Damage: 57.8 (SoC 60.6)

Cunning Archer:

Defense: 95

Attack: 91 (SoC 103)

Damage: 57.8 (SoC 64.2)

Defense and Attack are MASSIVELY better on a Dex Archer, even with SoC activated.

Even my Strength Rogue had 124 Attack with a Bow (secondary weapon).

Think about duel between these two archers.

Sure the Cunning archer does more damage (extra 11 from armor penetration as well).

But it has ZERO percent chance of hitting the Dex Archer, even with SoC active. It doesn't matter what your damage is, if you can't hit.

The Dex Archer OTOH has over 80% chance of hitting the cunning archer, so it would be a total slaughter.

capn233

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Sure the defense is going to be better, nobody would debate that.  What they might debate is the value of defense on an archer.

Some breakdowns of the actual attributes might be helpful, and listing the specializations.  Looks like cunning archer had 100 cun, but not everybody wants to back-calculate.  Also missing AP and crit chance which are the two big reasons to go Cunning.  You are showing 3.6 more damage per shot on the Cunning build, which is before accounting for crits or armor penetration.

Cunning rogue will get another 10 attack if they take Dueling, and further still if they take Leliana in party.