By Rhys Cordelle
I've been running around all over the place trying to trigger it as it's the only place I can buy a skill tome this early in the game. Is there a route to take between two points that has a high chance of encountering him?
By Surango
double post

Edited by Surango, 07 May 2010 - 01:12 AM.

By Surango
There's not really a way to trigger it. Sometimes he's almost the only encounter you see and sometimes you only see him once. Exit the program entirely. Sometimes you get lucky on a reload.
By Kacynski
I did never pay particular attention, but I have the feeling it has a quite low chance to trigger at the beginning of the game. I don't know if there is a flag, which has to be set before the encounter triggers or if the higher amount of available random encounters at the beginning of the game, lower the chance for this particular one. E.g. if the game checks first IF there is an encounter, and then with a second check determines which encounter it is.

Nevertheless I mostly find Tegrin travelling the route Denerim - Redcliffe (but again this may be incidental)
By BigBad
I tend to run into him a lot on the Orzammar side of Lake Calenhad, either travelling to or from the Frostback Mountain Pass, or making the trek from Redcliffe to Circle Tower. On occasion, I've run into him no less than three times in a row running back and forth between Denerim and Redcliffe.
By Elhanan
Posts Posts Avatar
It seems to help to be completely broke at the time, and cannot afford anything in his stock. At least it appears that way to me....
By DWSmiley

Elhanan wrote...

It seems to help to be completely broke at the time, and cannot afford anything in his stock. At least it appears that way to me....

LOL.  Oh, yes.Posted Image

I've had more than one playthrough where I didn't meet Tegrin until I was level 20+.  Obviously, the earlier in the game you are, the harder it is because there are so many other random encounters to be had.  But I'm guessing travelling in a circle around Lake Calenhad is your best bet.  Watch out for the wolves, though!
By Fish_Eye_McGee
Better question, "How do you NOT trigger Old Tegrin?"

At the last half of the game he's like the ONLY random encounter you get, and you get him all the time.

More on topic, I've gotten him all over the map. I guess it's (bad) luck.
By Sabariel
I usually get him when I'm traveling to/from Orzammar or to/from Honnleath Village.
By sassperella
yeah I see him mostly orzammar side.