So let me explain. RPGs are kind of my thing. So I blasted through all of the Origins Story and all the side quests and DLC and now I'm facing the arch demon. I don't have a healer in my party (usually Morrigan but she dipped out because I denied the ritual) which is my first mistake. I didn't take Wynne because she was horribly under level. I'm wearing the superior dragon bone Armor from Wade and dual wielding a dragon bone triple enchanted war axe and a dragon bone crow dagger. I have tried every strategy I can think of from face tanking to resting on range to relying on the ballista to avoiding direct contact with the demon to trying to play add control. I can stun lock him with the ballista but then he moves. I summon my armies and send one of my party members out of range. I can't dodge his attacks and they phase through objects so I can't use cover. If I get close to it it picks me up and uses its one hit machanic and ends me right there. If I rest on range he wipes my party then kills me with unavoidable range. If I rest on ballista he just ranges me to death or the adds kill me when he's low health. Am I doing something wrong? I see people consistently saying the fight is easy but I've been knocking my head against it for hours now and I've even lowered the difficulty to Casual and I'm still having trouble with this boss fight. I'm over level twenty. Am I just under levelled? Please help me. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

GoldenGail3

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 83.00
Use the Bastilla to kill that sucker so that he'll land and thus you'll kill him with what ever skill set you may possess.

Use the Bastilla to kill that sucker so that he'll land and thus you'll kill him with what ever skill set you may possess.

I can't get close to him and he kills me with melee so fast that I can't do anything. I don't have any potions and my only other save is from like... 6 quests ago and the dang game auto saved when I entered the boss arena.

This fight would be hard enough to do on Casual without Wynne (she has not only a heal, but a group heal and a resurrect) but without potions, it's sheer madness.  I don't doubt you're getting your hiney handed to you.  What armies are you using to fight the AD?  What is your party set up?  Why is Wynne "underleveled" since the party tends to level when the PC does, which means she should be comparable to your level.  Do you mean all your good mage stuff went to Morrigan and Wynne would be fighting in her BVD's?  

On the final boss I used the dwarven army (I had also recruited the Legion as well) and that was all I needed on casual. Damn Mages cast AOEs that hit the party as well.  Elves would work but I found them pretty squishy.  Get ready for heavy casualties if you use them.  Redcliffe army has no ranged (neither do dwarves) so getting the AD down will be up to your ranged party members, or someone on ballistas if you want to use those once he leaps into the 'ranged only' area.  I set Alistair to tank for me, keeping mobs off my PC while my Surana used ranged spells/staff to tackle the boss, tossing heals to group members as needed.  I focused my attacks on the dragon, using the party to pick off adds as much as they could as when the AD gets low in health those buggers all start exploding around you.  And potions, potions potions, I can't stress that enough to use when the heals are on cooldown.

I am not certain what kind of bonuses your armor has but spirit is what you need to resist the AD's breath weapon so that would help.  

On casual I never had to use the ballistas.  At all.

I suspect your health is so low, do you min-max your stats? If that is the case then once you make a mistake with your party member set up, then the whole thing will be messed up. Min-max players rely on party set up also, not just their character, so long as maintaining the party member they set up with the game will become easy, in your case you loose Morrigan where you already set her purpose being in your party, that's why.

Not all attacks can be avoided by your dexterity mind you, that's why i don't agree with most so called guides.....

But as a tip, Archdemon deal spirit damage with his breath, why not you increase spirit resistence...Ancient Elven armor have good spirit resistence, Topsider Family sword, and few others i don't remember anymore...use spirit resistence balms if you have them, or just create them if you can...be aware of yellow ranked darkspawns, others are one hit killed but these are not. If you really want to kill the Archdemon with ease, use ranged weapons/magic, and summon Dalish archers or upgraded Mages

Yeah, ancient elven armor.. forget about the low tier. You just need the resist. Or that darkspawn helmet you get before the main fight.

Shale also can be equipped for good spirit tanking.

As for Wynne and Potions... uh... yeah.. you need one or the other. Both would be nice. And get a bow with Arrows of Filth. That's even better than the ballista.

You may want to go back to last save before you choose your final team and include Wynne in your group for healing purposes.  If you're willing to go back even further, buy up the extra arcane skills from Bohdain and other merchants to power up Wynne a bit more if you have the sovereigns, though it's her ability as healer that's most important.  If you have Shale (and also get and enable the mod that corrects some of the glitches that keep some of her powers from working), some of her powers are equivalent to those of a powerful mage.  Also, accumulate a large number of health  and lyrium potions before the final fight.  Once you do most of this, the fight should be doable.  It shouldn't be much worse than the typical dragon fight.  You also have darkspawn to deal with, but you can counter them with the various armies you've collected. 

My compliments to you for not doing the Dark Ritual.  Unless your Warden is in a relationship with Morrigan, trusting a questionable "Witch of the Wilds" doesn't make sense.  Every time she gives advice, it's always bad (let Redcliffe burn; ruin the sacred ashes to win the favor of bloodthirsty cultists, etc.)!  And you're supposed to believe doing the Dark Ritual won't result in the Blight possibly resuming in the near future?  You're supposed to take Morrigan's word that this won't be bad at all?  Really?  It surprises me that the developers initially seemed to take it for granted that most people would do the Dark Ritual.  (I also can't believe Wardens who do the DR don't get into trouble with  Weishapt for mysteriously surviving what has killed all previous Warden heroes.)

dainbramage

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 50.00

It's an easy fight, but that generally assumes you have potions or a healing mage. With neither you're in for some fun. Can't really give any specific advice without knowing your builds though...

Did you kill the lieutenants? One of them should have a helmet with 75% spirit resistance, which should help your tank.

Stay away from its head, its dragon breath and grab hurt the most. Also call in the army so that it may hopefully go for them instead. Plus once you get about a third of its hp gone, eamon will also join the fight, and he makes a great distraction.

Use the ballistae when it flies to the inaccessible part.

GoldenGail3

Compulsory Poster
Champion

My Usual Party - Wynne, Alistair (cause he's a tank), and Leliana

PC's - Amell, Cousland

Finale Battle - Dies so much, not becuase of the Archdemon, but because of beforehand, is lucky she saves so much...

GoldenGail3

Compulsory Poster
Champion

My compliments to you for not doing the Dark Ritual.  Unless your Warden is in a relationship with Morrigan, trusting a questionable "Witch of the Wilds" doesn't make sense.  Every time she gives advice, it's always bad (let Redcliffe burn; ruin the sacred ashes to win the favor of bloodthirsty cultists, etc.)!  And you're supposed to believe doing the Dark Ritual won't result in the Blight possibly resuming in the near future?  You're supposed to take Morrigan's word that this won't be bad at all?  Really?  It surprises me that the developers initially seemed to take it for granted that most people would do the Dark Ritual.  (I also can't believe Wardens who do the DR don't get into trouble with  Weishapt for mysteriously surviving what has killed all previous Warden heroes.)

Becuase they're really afraid of the Warden, lol.