Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 12,270.00
Bank: 16,634.00
Wiki Edits: 82
Amazing find. The helmet says it is believed that it belonged to an ancient royal line, but only Vamos would know for sure. A royal line of what? Occultists?
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

DoughGuy

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 0.00
Is there any link to the helmet in the PW?

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

But it seems those wearing the helmet were some kind of beasts. Is Vamos one of them?
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Not that I could think of, maybe the occult ember or the dried finger....

Eolan

Obsessed
Commander

That looks more like a Giger inspired dragon to me...

The royal helms pretty different. Image

Eolan

Obsessed
Commander

Hmmm on second thoughts maybe yur right.... It all feeds into the no bonfire run theories about the game subtly pushing you towards wiping the gods out and the flames once and for all...

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Souls: 1,009.00
Bank: 582.03
Wiki Edits: 189
The Effigy Shield is one of the contest winners for player made shields isn't it, before the game was finished? Like Tarkus' shield, and the Bloodshield. So I'm not sure if that was intentional on From's behalf. Also in regards to the Server that Cook mentioned long back, I made a slight not myself. The Caduceus Shields.

Tolvo wrote:So two minor things, the round shields. The Warriors', and the Caduceus. Both of these shields carry a symbol on them, one the Caduceus, the other a Labryss. Now the Caduceus is currently used for the purpose of medicine and knowledge. However it's origin is believed to be in relation to messengers of gods. Note, the Caduceus is normally two serpents twisting around a staff but in game it resembles a sword more so, at the cross guard. As well the serpents have an appendage coming from their faces, yet they are thick and bulbous unlike a serpent's tongue. More so like the fleshy mustaches that the primordial serpents have. This version is on the Kite shield however, while on the round shield their features are different. It is a single serpent with two heads on the round shield.

Now then the normal round shield carries a Labrys, a two headed axe. In more modern contexts it represents power, however there are a few other earlier symbols. One, it represents the power and lightning of gods, specifically Zeus. Two, it represents femininity in a butterfly. Three, it represents femininity in a waning and waxing moon. The axes were often carried by female priests, though there were larger versions for sacrifices as well. These sacrifices were typically of animals, especially bulls. As well the word originates with the term Labyrinth, so the two are related. The Labyrinth guarded by the Minotaur, it is sometimes associated with the slaying of them. It is associated as such with slaying bipedal bull creatures that are abominations. This shield can be bought from the Undead Merchan in the burg, a bit before the taurus demon.

Just thought I'd mention these minor things.

From the linking Internal and External Lore thread.
"Be well then, neither of us wants to see you go hollow."-Andre of Astora
If you are having problems on the forum feel free to send me a PM.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife

JohnnyHarpoon

Revived
Savior

Bank: 19,773.50
Wiki Edits: 22
I thought Sanctus was the contest-winner designed shield? And either way, I really don't think that has any affect on From's ability to tie it into lore.

I mean, maybe its unrelated and just some random dragon, but I really doubt that. Also, I think it kind of silly to write this off (or anything with the slightest inkling of a possibility) when there's been so much speculation based off of even further stretches in terms of what we're actually given of the lore.

It's like, yeah, it could be some dragon, but that doesn't make any sense. Context is everything, and the 'heretical energy' of a Fire Server seems to relate more with overthrowing Gods than a dragon. No matter what, Vamos is involved with some sort of heretical power given the change of the Server's description, which makes it a pretty easy link to the Effigy Shield. The only thing missing is a direct link...which the picture on the front could potentially be.

So...what's more logical, you know? The shield depicting Vamos/the Royal Helm, or a dragon otherwise completely unrelated to the game?
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total. Reason: grammar
"We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future."

User

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

I believe the content winner shield was actually the Sanctus, not the Effigy.

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Souls: 1,009.00
Bank: 582.03
Wiki Edits: 189
There were regional contests for different areas.
"Be well then, neither of us wants to see you go hollow."-Andre of Astora
If you are having problems on the forum feel free to send me a PM.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife