KIMGOOLD3

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 98.00

Misdirection hex by enemy mage pick any battle still infuriating. 

The thing that bothers me about things like overwhelm, is these are 100% guaranteed to hit no matter what.

Why can a lowly spider that can't even hit me, overwhelm be automatically and chew off my face.

Then beyond that, unlike most other attacks with effects, here there is ZERO chance to resist.

So again, I can resist a Dragon knocking me down, but not a spider?

100% hit chance, with ZERO%  resist chance = annoying cheese attack.

I think scattershot is another of these cheese attacks. Auto hit, auto stun. No defense, no resist.

I will add that I don't think this really applies to Revenant attacks, as someone above indicated.

Once my Rogue got defense ~150 and Physical Resistance to 100, I would hold my party back and the Rogue would usually solo the Revenant without getting hit.

It would be Resist, Missed, Resist, Missed from Revenant attacks while I sliced him apart.

It is because special attacks can't be blocked, they are actually "actions" that bypassed dice rolls and turns, auto attacks are actually following turns

Round 1 - your attack score vs enemy defense score

Round 2 - enemy attack score vs your defense score

Actions such as overwhelm, shield bash, ect bypassed the turn

Heimerdinger

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 50.00

The thing is this battle of Redcliffe is all about preparing for an attack you know is coming.  They bother to give you this massive variety of traps you can make and then deny you the ability to use them in the episode that seems best designed for trap use.  Traps are good defensive weapons and this episode is one of the few times you are on the defensive.  Not being able to use the traps doesn't make sense.

Yes, it would have been hilarious to rig the entire village with traps. But they don't deny you this ability on purpose, it's a technical level design limitation. I don't think the old Eclipse engine can morph a level from day to night, it has to load a different level with all the lighting changed and various assets moved around and replaced. Any traps you put on the day-map remain there, the engine can't transition them to the night-map. If this was a modern game engine like Frostbite then what you say could be done easily but in this case it isn't.

Yes, it would have been hilarious to rig the entire village with traps. But they don't deny you this ability on purpose, it's a technical level design limitation. I don't think the old Eclipse engine can morph a level from day to night, it has to load a different level with all the lighting changed and various assets moved around and replaced. Any traps you put on the day-map remain there, the engine can't transition them to the night-map. If this was a modern game engine like Frostbite then what you say could be done easily but in this case it isn't.

I understand the technical limitations.  Give the developers credit for pushing the envelope and getting the most complex game they could out of a limited game engine.  (And further credit to the modders who have pushed Origins even further!)  By contrast, DAI has a more powerful engine which they don't fully exploit.  They don't do much with traps at all -- it's two commands in Varic's rogue specialization.  Oh well... 

The Crushing Prison spell wipes out most to all of my team's hit points before releasing them, but barely does any damage to the enemy before releasing them.

The Curse of Mortality spell also does wicked damage to my team since it takes out lots of hit points and we can't heal until the curse lifts, but it never seems to do more than 1/4 damage to enemies before releasing them.

The Crushing Prison spell wipes out most to all of my team's hit points before releasing them, but barely does any damage to the enemy before releasing them.

The Curse of Mortality spell also does wicked damage to my team since it takes out lots of hit points and we can't heal until the curse lifts, but it never seems to do more than 1/4 damage to enemies before releasing them.

I can’t help but notice that most enemy mages have both these spells, and like to cheat-cast both of them in quick succession. Funny, that.

It is because special attacks can't be blocked, they are actually "actions" that bypassed dice rolls and turns, auto attacks are actually following turns

Round 1 - your attack score vs enemy defense score

Round 2 - enemy attack score vs your defense score

Actions such as overwhelm, shield bash, ect bypassed the turn

That's a bad developer choice, not a good reason.

Many of the other special attacks, still need to hit, or need to pass a resistance check or both.

Having no check of any kind is cheesy and annoying.  Bioware didn't really spend much effort making their new RPG system, and it's a mess.

Even if they fixed the actual bugs, it is poorly designed without much thought behind it and negligible play testing.

Bioware's previous Fasntasy RPGs(BG/BG2/NWN), used D&D rulesets. They weren't perfect but some actual effort went into design/testing them.

Heimerdinger

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 50.00

I can’t help but notice that most enemy mages have both these spells, and like to cheat-cast both of them in quick succession. Funny, that.

And you can do the same. Or set up custom tactics so the AI does it for you.

Ultimate rage moment in this game: that one bridge in the Deep Roads where two groups of shrieks spawn on either side of you and ambush you. Even when I know it’s coming, it’s virtually impossible for me to complete this part without someone falling in battle. Hate, hate, hate it!

Also: the bit in the circle tower with the desire demon and the charmed templar. She summons a whole crap-load of undead, and that battle always goes on for an eternity.

In my later games I started using traps (big style), on the shriek bridge pile a load of traps behind you just before you get to the middle and then you'll only have to fight the ones that come at you from the other side. 

My personal 'unfair moment' was when I was battling the gatekeeper and his pals in the ruins and for some reason all of the werewolves and shadow wolves from the side alcoves also decided to join in (i think there's about 15 of them in total including the gatekeeper's gang), this has happened to me only once but I was very lucky to survive.

That's a bad developer choice, not a good reason.

Many of the other special attacks, still need to hit, or need to pass a resistance check or both.

Having no check of any kind is cheesy and annoying.  Bioware didn't really spend much effort making their new RPG system, and it's a mess.

Even if they fixed the actual bugs, it is poorly designed without much thought behind it and negligible play testing.

Bioware's previous Fasntasy RPGs(BG/BG2/NWN), used D&D rulesets. They weren't perfect but some actual effort went into design/testing them.

The only resistance is physical and mental, but i do agree that overwhelm cannot be resisted is laziness. At least in KotOR there are 3 save check, and if saved will result with different effect