Anything related to Dark Souls!

Bcc17

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 0.00
I haven't seen ANYTHING about this, but what the hell is that giant skull from in Ash Lake?

Maybe the pendant mystery has been solved... /sarcasm

Gazman0169

Caffeinated
Guardian

I always assumed it was a weathered dragon skull.

Carphil

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 2,702.00
Wiki Edits: 6
I think thats not a dragon shape. In my opinion, it was a giant that escaped Tomb of Giants but not lived to tell the tale
“We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another, and no sunrise finds us where left by sunset.”
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Gazman0169

Caffeinated
Guardian

Nah, I'm telling you it's a dragon's skull.

It clearly has a long snout, pointy teeth, and two horn-like protrusions towards the back of the head, much like a dragon.

One thing's for sure, it is definitely not a giants skull.

User

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

We debated about this in the Archives... there is a lot of information there if you look.

But the general conclusion is that they are Dragons.

Curious, the Skulls found in the Tomb of Giants have the same teeth, and their body is shaped to be humanoid, yet beastly also.

Of course, you must understand that Dragons are giants, they are not small critters... Basilisks and Drakes are not Dragons... think of them as the Dragon equivalent of a Chicken (Basilisk) and a Rat (Drake).

There are Dragons such as the Gaping and Seath that show difference than that of the Everlasting... of course that difference is probably the reason why the Great Lord Gwyn did not kill them, and instead killed the Everlasting Dragons towards extinction.

PlasticandRage

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 4,545.00
Wiki Edits: 88
Sorry to necro this thread, but the skull just caught my attention also, and I couldn't find the thread Acidic was talking about where it was discussed.

Here's my take:

I don't think it is a dragon skull. it doesn't look anything like any of the other dragon's we've seen, like nothing at all. I don't really think it looks the same as the giant skulls in the Tomb either. Granted it has more similarity to the giant's skulls than the dragons, but I think it's the skull of an ancient chaos demon. We see a few different demons throughout the game, and they all vary pretty significantly biologically, just most have horns, and big eyes, and gnarly teeth. This thing has all 3. So that got me thinking/speculating also. You can't debate that Ash Lake is an area populated by the dragons. There's 2 living ones there when you get there, and there are dragon scales all over the place. I've also heard theories that Ash Lake exists outside of Lordran, and that the great trees actually hold Lordran up off of some other plane of existence somehow, which oddly I accept to make sense. So taking those things into consideration, you could theorize that the dragons are actually guarding an area where Lordran can be escaped from, into what I would assume is the larger world. It would explain why you're attacked by a dragon as soon as you enter, and why the Everlasting Dragon is essentially forever holding a vigil at the other end, and attempts to recruit you to the cause when you approach it. If it is guarding something, recruiting a powerful being like the chosen undead would certainly be a great boon. The whole theory would also call into consideration that there was a time that the chaos demon's attempted to leave Lordran, To spread chaos? I don't know. To do whatever Demons do I guess. But that also calls into consideration that Gwyn and the other lords, killed the dragons. Maybe also trying to leave Lordran? I don't know that either, and I'm sure some of you have theorized the whole man/dragon war thing a lot more than I will now. At any rate you'd have to consider, if the dragons really are down here guarding a way out, and man killed the dragons, what the possible connotations of that would be. Maybe the end of the age of fire in general? Maybe the downfall of the race?

Okay, now that I'm done theorizing, you can come tell me why I'm wrong.
PSN: PlasticandRage

All Great Men Have Mustaches

XKnightArtoriasX

Despite from being a Dragon or anything else's Skull. There is only ONE of it's kind in the game, right? If so then there is, no let me say it correctly. THERE F***ING IS something with it. Go over there hit it with everything at least 500 times then maybe the Everlast Dragon will leave or die which will cause the bonfire to extinguished which will lead to the true Dark Lord ending which is the same as kindling all bonfires and going for fire ending which will lead to no changes at all which will mean it's absolutely a waste of time.

User

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

... The Undead Asylum is not in Lordran?

I don't think the dragon, the everlasting, is guarding anything.

I don't think the mushrooms are guarding for the dragons either. Mushrooms are not exactly a sign of a healthy tree.

The place has been broken, and not much else is accessible.

The skull is similar to the ones in the Tomb of Giants.

The Giants that you see in Lordran have a similar face as those of the titanite Demons (with exception of Gough, but that is because he wears a helmet. You never actually see a giant's face. Ever. And their heads are too small.

The Dragons seem to be all different in a way. Black Dragon does not equal Everlasting. Nor Seath. Nor Gaping. Nor the Stone Dragon. They are, with the exception of the Black Dragon and Seath, are descendents of the Ancient Dragons. The Black Dragon is of the Ancients, however is NOT noted as Everlasting. Intro shows that the only one close is Stone Dragon, and the description of the sword notes this. The Stone Dragon is the only one that allows Dragon Abilities for the player, with this case becoming a Dragon Humanoid. Which, if seen, looks very similar between Everlasting/Stone Dragons

The Undead Dragons that are seen, are known to be undead, yes. However, there are a few qualities to question about such dragons. I need to see it or find my analysis again, as my memory betrays me, but the Undead Dragon had something "off".

The Skull is not of the Giants... in fact, there is nothing seen in the game at all that matches its head, except for the Ceaseless Discharge...

Remember, that the Chaos Demons and the Everlasting Dragons have a very hard structure to all of them, with the exception of the Tree Demons (Stray/Asylum). The Tree Demons, however, have ties to the Stone Archtrees (given the Demon Catalyst and Demon Great Hammer's features, as well as their bodies having sticks and growth... and a giant tree sticking out of Izalith, with statues of replication for them surrounding Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins.

Given, perhaps the Black Hydra is guarding the Dragon. However, it only goes so far, until it stops following the player. I am sure it is not guarding for the Stone Dragon either. The Basilisks... I already talked about them, but I am searching still.

Anyways, I still say the Dragon is to that of the Everlasting. The Black Dragon is said as it is, the Black Dragon. Kalameet is never mentioned as Everlasting... just Ancient. When you watch the Intro, the Dragons that are focused upon (with the exception of Seath) are seen as all Everlasting Dragons. Their targets were also the Archtrees as well.

Defend?

PlasticandRage

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 4,545.00
Wiki Edits: 88
Acidic_Cook wrote:The Giants that you see in Lordran have a similar face as those of the titanite Demons (with exception of Gough, but that is because he wears a helmet. You never actually see a giant's face. Ever. And their heads are too small.

But the titanite Demons don't have heads? They're just flat severed necks.

Just because there are other enemies in the area, doesn't necessarily mean they're connected to the lore of the area. I'd argue that the mushrooms and basilisks have nothing to do with any of it. That they're just the wildlife that naturally lives in the area, inhabiting the hollow arch trees, or the clam type enemies that are just hanging out in the surf.

The dragons are trying to destroy the arch trees? Where does it say that?

I agree with you that all the dragons are drastically different from each other also, but one thing they do all seem to have in common, is that they all, or at least all the ones we're shown, have similar shaped heads. They all have heads much smaller in proportion to their bodies, and all their heads are roughly diamond shaped, kind of like snakes. Some reflect it more than others, like the Gaping Dragon, but all of them share a similar shape. Which is a shape that's nothing like the skull. The skull is much more rounded and humanoid.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: PlasticandRage

All Great Men Have Mustaches

User

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Dragons trying to destroy archtrees? No, no, no. The Lords! They target the Everlasting Dragons, And the Trees. I'm making a connection between the Demons and Everlasting, since both clearly have tree roots. (get it?). Anyways...

The titanite Demons are Flat, Yes. The Giants have similar surface cover, however. (Look at both their heads).

I would argue that many of the enemies are placed in an area for a reason. Name one other enemy that does not fit in an area, and I will say otherwise. We can play this game, if you like.