Adventure through the Wasteland together
Wiki: Visit the Fallout 4 Wiki
Wiki: Visit the Fallout 76 Wiki
1 
Reply  
Avatar

ThePreacher

Regular
Battle Tested

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:14 am
Souls: 660.00
Posts: 92
Reputation: 2
#1
I'm thinking of getting back into Fallout 4 now that all but one has released, with the last supposedly coming out in August, I was wondering about people's thoughts/opinions on the DLC so far?

Far Harbour looks like Point Lookout 2.0, which, considering it was pretty much the only part of FO3 I liked, is only a good thing. Is there more to Automatron than what it looks like? It seems to be a pretty short mission pack, rather than a distinct area like the other DLCs.

With the new content in mind, I was also mulling over a S.P.E.C.I.A.L. allotment. I was thinking:
S 3/P 3/E 5/C 5/I 6/A 4/L 1

I'm aware this will be a very Jack of all Trades, Master of None style build, but it is designed to see all the content, rather than be a great combatant. Although, with stat boosting clothes, bobbleheads and delicious, delicious chems I can easily reach 11 in a desired stat (apart from Luck, most likely). Any recommendations for changes?
Avatar

Ryzaki

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:51 pm
Souls: 76.50
Posts: 27509
Reputation: 3
#2
My main issue with F4 dlc is too much of it is settlement based. I'm hoping Nuka World will fix that. Far Harbor was good but not 25 dollars good.

And Automatron is pretty much exactly what you think it is. A short mission. It's real value comes from the robot companions/settlers you can make if you're into the settlement aspect (which I am).

That said don't worry about needing a certain amount of special. For the most part your special doesn't matter and you can boost it on lvl up. The only thing CHA really does is allow you to get (mostly more money) speech checks. I don't think anything else comes into play except a intelligence quest that allows you to skip a side quest in another sidequest. XD
Avatar

Archon

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Souls: 2,329.00
Posts: 4322
Reputation: 35
Wiki Edits: 1
#3
I would have to agree with Ryzaki. As someone who loves being able to create, the large focus on the settlement system in Fallout 4 is ridiculous. The Wasteland and Contraption Workshop DLCs are awful and should honestly have been included as part of the main game.
The Automatron DLC introduces some pretty enjoyable content in terms of being able to create your own robots, but there's a huge lack of quests and the main quest is both disappointing and short.
As for Far Harbor, the DLC is actually somewhat decent considering all the other content they've been spewing out. While it is understandable that it would seem like a Point Lookout 2.0, it does a well enough job of creating its' own identity.
Lastly the Vault-Tec DLC is yet another joke to me. The quests are dull, the workshop is somewhat buggy and considering what some of the vaults in the game look like, I feel that there is a lack of pieces. The one thing that I did enjoy in the DLC was exploring the caverns. Besides that, I don't see myself ever touching that DLC nor finishing my vault at any point.
We can only hope that the Nuka World DLC produces some quality content compared to everything else.
Overall, I would recommend Far Harbor. Any other DLC I suggest staying away from, at least until they are on sale.
The Archons were the ancient rulers of the Old Kingdom and were said to be immortal. Although the Archons are long gone, their bloodline lives on.

Dean_the_Young

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:23 am
Souls: 141.00
Posts: 18196
Reputation: 4
#4
Ryzaki wrote:My main issue with F4 dlc is too much of it is settlement based. I'm hoping Nuka World will fix that. Far Harbor was good but not 25 dollars good.

And Automatron is pretty much exactly what you think it is. A short mission. It's real value comes from the robot companions/settlers you can make if you're into the settlement aspect (which I am).

That said don't worry about needing a certain amount of special. For the most part your special doesn't matter and you can boost it on lvl up. The only thing CHA really does is allow you to get (mostly more money) speech checks. I don't think anything else comes into play except a intelligence quest that allows you to skip a side quest in another sidequest. XD


Money value is debatable- I've gotten 10+ hours of enjoyment out of it alone, which at 2.50 an hour is a lot cheaper than most other things- but this is mostly right.

Fallout 4's settlement system isn't really worth the price of the settlement DLC. There's not really enough point to justify the investment. If you love spending dozens of hours building, sure, but for gameplay? Pass. The Vaulttech DLC at least tried to give you some new things to play with, in quest and useful building things and a whole new mega-settlement that comes with tons and tons of resources, but there's just not much reason to bother. (Though, seriously, if you just want resources, Vault 81 has loads ripe for the taking.)


Far Harbor is definitely the best part of the game, though, and heads and tails above the rest. Probably the closest 'real' RPG experience you'll get from it, with factions and exploration and divergent outcomes oh my.


As far as starting a game goes, though, don't worry too much about SPECIAL. In fact, I'd honestly suggest cheating. Just look up the item duplication trick and how to max your specials, and the rest of the game will be a lot more simple.
Avatar

TheAtomicSurvivor

Casual
Convict

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:06 pm
Souls: 320.00
Posts: 47
Reputation: 7
#5
I concur. Far Harbor, was better than the main questline in F4. Far Harbor was the story we should have gotten from F4. But I also agree all the DLC is too much focused on Settlement.

Bethseda marketed the settlement side as being optional. Yet, its used in one of the questlines, all of their DLC is geared towards settlement building, despite the fact that its snapping is horrendous and doesn't work very well.

They gave us a barebones, watered down main storyline, with 1 actually decently written DLC, and just gave us a bunch of toys for a settlement system that works when it wants to.
VIP
Avatar

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Japan
Souls: 452,748.49
Bank: 11,840.71
Posts: 13871
Reputation: 773
Wiki Edits: 41548
#6
To be honest I looked at the settlement stuff and went "I don't want to play the sims" - it sounded so pointless... I hate when games waste money giving you "lego pieces" to play when what you want is a deep crafted story or interactions from the story.
Fextralife: Gaming News ⚔️ Elden Ring Wiki ⚔️ Monster Hunter Rise Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
Avatar

TheAtomicSurvivor

Casual
Convict

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:06 pm
Souls: 320.00
Posts: 47
Reputation: 7
#7
Fexelea wrote:To be honest I looked at the settlement stuff and went "I don't want to play the sims" - it sounded so pointless... I hate when games waste money giving you "lego pieces" to play when what you want is a deep crafted story or interactions from the story.


Thank you. I concur.
Avatar

Archon

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Souls: 2,329.00
Posts: 4322
Reputation: 35
Wiki Edits: 1
#8
Fexelea wrote:To be honest I looked at the settlement stuff and went "I don't want to play the sims" - it sounded so pointless... I hate when games waste money giving you "lego pieces" to play when what you want is a deep crafted story or interactions from the story.

I honestly don't mind the concept of the settlement system. The problem with it I find, is the fact that there are so many of them taking up the map. I would have to assume that around 30% of the map consists of potential settlements. And Bethesda has made it very clear that the settlement system is the selling point of the game with all the DLCs. Rather than focusing on any RPG aspects of which Fallout used to be known, or even action filled content we have received several terrible settlement focused DLCs, of which some content should have been part of the base game.

Pretty much repeating my previous post below.
Automatron is an utter joke consisting of one single questline that is utterly short, assuming you don't count the repeat quests afterwards. Rather than actually focusing on the questline and making the Mechanist seem even slightly interesting, they tried to sell the idea of building your own robots which is great to be honest with you. It just doesn't isn't justifiable for the price. The questline should have been longer, the characters more interesting, etc.

The Wasteland Workshop is especially bad. Content that is almost as bad as the horse armour, and that same a whole lot. First and foremost, there is plenty of content in that DLC that should honestly have been part of the main game and secondly, why would they think that any fan would be pleased with having spent money on the season pass only to get a joke of an arena builder. It seems even more ridiculous when you take into account the settlement limitations in the base game.

Far Harbor was genuínely good, but it could also have been so much better. The only companion that even had any dialogue on the DLC was Nick which is beyond lazy. I would have loved to have Piper with me, commenting on the events in her newspaper, or Hancock trying to inhale the fog commenting on how much the Trappers deserve being put out of their misery. Instead I am stuck with Nick (which mind you, is not a bad character). The DLC made it clear that they could still make good content and that they just don't want to.

The Contraptions Workshops is as much a joke as the previous Workshop DLC. It does include some interesting content admittedly, but also a lot of pointless content which really isn't worth the money I spent of the season pass.

Vault-Tec Workshop wasn't a bad DLC per se. What makes it so bad is that we've received plenty enough Workshop DLC as is and that as usually, it is lacking in story. Clear the vault, do the tests. It doesn't even take more than 10 minutes. Building the vault itself isn't fun because it is buggy compared to the rest of the settlement mechanics and it lacks a lot of materials that we can see in ordinary vaults. The redeem factor I would say is the exploration of the caverns, which even they were lacking. Would have loved more story behind them.


The way I would have liked to see the Settlement system is by decreasing the amount of them to maybe 3-5, hell 1-2 if you could actually delete everything for once. Increase the build limit which seeing as the overall settlement limit would be decreased, could be justified. Actually making content that is in the base game buildable, instead of ignoring them or introducing them as a DLC.

Yet instead of receiving a proper RPG Fallout game, we received a game that isn't sure if it is action-RPG or a survivor simulation game (i.e. Sims-esque). We can only hope that Bethesda does something right with Nuka World, but I doubt it.
The Archons were the ancient rulers of the Old Kingdom and were said to be immortal. Although the Archons are long gone, their bloodline lives on.
VIP
Avatar

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Jupiter
Souls: 145,557.00
Bank: 0.00
Posts: 7373
Reputation: 167
Wiki Edits: 25927
#9
Far Harbor is really the crown jewel of the content and something you could purchase exclusively. In my opinion, it's story was better crafted and more interesting than the main story and the choices had real consequences. Each faction presented had a very compelling justification for their perspective and there was no villain. Just a collection of people thrust into a grey area looking to survive. I made so many saves just to experience every path because I was that invested in the outcome.

I liked Far Harbor so much that I'm going to shamelessly plug my review for it here: https://fextralife.com/fallout-4-far-harbor-review/
This site is a bonfire. Thank you all for kindling it. "No rest for the wikid."- the eldritch wisdom of Skarekrow13

Gaming News, Guides & Reviews / Gaming Wikis / Join VIP
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
Avatar

Ryzaki

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:51 pm
Souls: 76.50
Posts: 27509
Reputation: 3
#10
Dean_the_Young wrote:Money value is debatable- I've gotten 10+ hours of enjoyment out of it alone, which at 2.50 an hour is a lot cheaper than most other things- but this is mostly right.

Fallout 4's settlement system isn't really worth the price of the settlement DLC. There's not really enough point to justify the investment. If you love spending dozens of hours building, sure, but for gameplay? Pass. The Vaulttech DLC at least tried to give you some new things to play with, in quest and useful building things and a whole new mega-settlement that comes with tons and tons of resources, but there's just not much reason to bother. (Though, seriously, if you just want resources, Vault 81 has loads ripe for the taking.)

Far Harbor is definitely the best part of the game, though, and heads and tails above the rest. Probably the closest 'real' RPG experience you'll get from it, with factions and exploration and divergent outcomes oh my.

As far as starting a game goes, though, don't worry too much about SPECIAL. In fact, I'd honestly suggest cheating. Just look up the item duplication trick and how to max your specials, and the rest of the game will be a lot more simple.


Yeah Far Harbor was good. I just thought the price was a bit meh (that said I also got the season pass when it was 30 so (No shrug emote? awwww)

Eww don't cheat. The game's too easy as it is! Survival mode early inthe game when it's actually a struggle and not a rolfstomp is the most enjoyable bit :P
1