Discussions from our smallest wikis are found here! Check the Wiki Hub for details
By Anonymous
i cannnnnnt finish the fricking path of paiiiiin i cant im gonna cry aaaaah
By GrimmkinWisp
Posts Avatar
For the insane challenge that this area (though meaningful and beautiful) is to traverse, you would expect a really nice reward at completion, wouldn’t you? It would be awesome if the scene with the young Hollow Knight and the Pale King standing together, seemingly bonding as a father and son, was an actual cutscene - much longer and including some crucial dialogue that gave the game more depth story-wise. Nope... They just turn their heads to look each other and... that’s it... There’s your “reward”... TC probably didn’t know what to write. Their frequent excuse for poor writing: “We don’t know.”
Did Team Cherry even write the bare-bones concept of Hallownest, or develop any of the characters aside from the mute protagonist Knight? How do they “not know” if they’re the guys who developed the game???

The current “story/lore” of HK, if you can call it anything like that, is stagnant and needs more clarity. Such an incredible game deserves an actual story. All endings are extremely dissatisfying and nihilistic as well. Hire a writer, TC... Heck, I’d love to give this incredible world of Hallownest some colour and life and meaning, while including actual entomology-based points as well, considering it’s a unique world of medieval insects.
But what I got from playing through the entire game is that TC are either complete nihilists, or they couldn’t think of a story, so they sacrificed it to the toxic fandom to simply “interpret” - which means absolute chaos and death... Very tragic for a game with so much potential and memorable, lovable characters.
By Anonymous
How to tell people you missed the point of the game without saying you missed the point of the game.
By GrimmkinWisp
Posts Avatar
Oh, all right, then. I’ll say it: I missed the “point of the game”. (Aw, this fandom is just so nice! Such kind folks! Not toxic at all! (^_^) So, do tell me, wise and all-knowing one, if you know the “point”, what was it? Seriously, I‘m asking because I am truly curious to know if I missed anything. The game is incredibly enigmatic, and there is no denying that. What was your interpretation of it? Instead of shooting off a snarky comment like that and just leaving without telling me what you supposedly know regarding the “point of the game”, I would very much enjoy discussing it with you. Heck, why else would I be here? (Note: I do know the basic storyline - I’m not that much of an idiot - I was merely disappointed by the brutal *nihilism* that permeates the “lore”, and the fact that there wasn’t much rich interaction with all of the wonderful characters that had incredible potential for further development. Is that the point? Nihilism is truth? Life is meaningless?
By GrimmkinWisp
Posts Avatar
Go on. Enlighten me. What’s the point of the game? I’m all ears. I mean, wow - it’s actually really impressive that *you* know the point when even Team Cherry themselves admit frequently that they “don’t know”! :)
By Anonymous
redditor lol
By GrimmkinWisp
Posts Avatar
@Above: I’m not sure who you’re calling a “redditor”. If you’re referring to me, just for the record: I wouldn’t make an account on the toxic waste pit known as Reddit if you paid me. But whoever snarked at me up there was indeed a textbook redditor, no doubt.
By Anonymous
I'm sure you got most of the story already. There's not much to it but it's not that complex once you put the pieces together.

This is the story of a once great insect kingdom.
For some reason the place grant sentience to the nearby bugs.
But a corruption turning the inhabitants into mindless, hostile husk start to infiltrate the place.
To contain it the king engendered a massive amount of spawn with the white lady trying to fill them with void until the perfect vessel, one surviving its birth and able to contain the corruption emerge, the Hollow Knight.
The hollow knight voluntary chained himself in the black egg temple to fill his role.
To protect the vessel, three loyal subject turned themselves into seal, keeping the temple shut from the dream world.
Time pass, the king die, the kingdom start crumbling away and the perfect vessel start to show crack, leaking the radiance into the kingdom once again.
From the refuse of the hollow knight creation then rise the protagonist.
You then saw the rest, depending of the ending you either takes the knight place, sealing the corruption again for a while or destroy the radiance.
By Anonymous
Nerd emoji
By Anonymous
You need to go outside more
By Anonymous
Someone's salty. Not every big challenge has to have some fantastic reward. The true prize is supposed to be the satisfaction of overcoming the challenge.

As for the lore gripes, withholding information is just as powerful as giving god information. The game is put together in a way that makes you want to think about and ponder the history of Hallownest, even if you don't find the answers. Because it's not important. Lore junkies might salivate over knowing all the details, the kind of people that read every book in Skyrim for example, but we don't need to know anything for the experience of the game to be complete. The story of the game is found in your experiences, you carve it out. The knight doesn't need to delve into why things are the way they are or figure out what happened to them. They need to go get an item to get through this next door. You view the world through the eyes of the childlike knight with no emotion, so why should we see it any other way? All of these are valid reasons for the way the game's story is constructed. To force us to ponder and think about TC's creation, the player's experience being based on current events, or because it just isn't necessary. The game withholds answers because that IS good writing.

Besides, if you care about story so much I think you just want to play Silksong instead. That one seems like the kind of game that would actually appreciate an overarching narrative that the player interacts with meaningfully.
By Anonymous
It's called the path of pain for a reason: . . .
By Anonymous
It's quite curious that the Trivia section says the Dashmaster charm wouldn't be useful for Path of Pain but I just cleared it while using it, lol.
By Anonymous
they patched the charm so it's viable now. the article is outdated i guess.
By Anonymous
Why do people like this? I'm genuinely wondering because everyone o talked to though this is fun but it's not it's just torture