Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 273,720.49
Bank: 7,719.71
Wiki Edits: 20694
So I was browsing twitter and I see that ESPN2 has embraced eSports to the point of broadasting Street Fighter Tournaments live, with commentators and an audience.
This seems to have created some twitter commotion as people expecting to watch regular sports find videogames instead.

• What does everyone think?
  • Are video game sports?
  • Should they be broadcasted alongside physical sports?

Chess is a sport... :p

Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Carphil

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 2,702.00
Wiki Edits: 6
I guess it's just the future. We are the future! It's nice to be alive to see things changing.

When I was a kid videogames were still frowned upon by most people except kids, and I was bullied for playing games instead of going outside to play football/soccer, so I'm quite happy to see that gaming is now considered as a sport. Maybe it isn't, but no one can disagree that a loooot of people enjoy playing games nowadays and not only kids. It's amazing how the industry developed in these past 10 years and now it even rivals the movie industry in terms of money, and even more awesome to see those huge events like E3 and Esports, even if it is limited to competitive games.

Maybe it shouldn't be considered truly a sport, but 10 years ago did you imagine it would reach this point? I can understand why long time ESPN fans can be upset but they should also think about the younger generations. For ESPN is certainly a win, looking for a market perspective is only natural that they would target their content towards what people want to watch, twitch being a great example.
“We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another, and no sunrise finds us where left by sunset.”
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,557.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 25927
Sure it's sport. It's not Athletics but it has spectating merit and competitive structure, rules etc. It may have been out of its depth on ESPN2 at the moment, and would have likely had less negative backlash if it was on ESPN3.

But it's totally fair for ESPN to embrace it, people just need to get used to it. I mean no one batted an eye when the World Series of Poker was all over ESPN, and that's just a bunch of sweaty dudes calculating pot odds with sunglasses on.

Which brings me to my next point. The issue isn't whether it's any more a sport than poker, it's what dominant aggro society deems as a worthy demonstration of feats of strength and skill. Computers and everything associated with them just got a poor social stigma around them, and despite being much more mainstream now, the expectations of what the norms are just haven't caught up.

But it's starting to happen, with some high profile athletes and celebrities jumping on team sponsorships etc. I saw Bill Walton was around for EVO, and Terry Crews, Richard Sherman, Shaq, ARod and so on investing in it.

Personally I don't watch it because the types of games typically bore me to watch lol. The quality (or lack of) in the broadcast journalism has also put me off. But it's a fledling industry so I guess it's going to be a little cringey until professionalism sets in.
This site is a bonfire. Thank you all for kindling it. "No rest for the wikid."- the eldritch wisdom of Skarekrow13

Forum Guidelines / Wiki Hub / Fextralife Blog / Write for the Blog / Join VIP
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

FiveScissors475

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 1,211.70
Bank: 16,901.00
Wiki Edits: 221
What surprises me the most is that people watch it.
Sad doggo

Daos_Strange

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,127.00
Wiki Edits: 2
FiveScissors475 wrote:What surprises me the most is that people watch it.

What surprises me is that some people are surprised that others will watch things they enjoy watching... :rolling eyes:

On topic, I thought the SFV finals were pretty good. A particular standout fight for me was the 4th place battle. I'll probably track down the Tekken 7 final 8 matches throughout the week and give them a watch.

The reason EVO can play on ESPN2 is because people are starting to realize that they don't have to like just one thing in life. It's ok to like football AND video games. The more people start to leave behind the misguided notions of the older generations, the better off this world will be.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 44,334.50
Wiki Edits: 564
Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Common opinion is that e-sports are not physically exhausting, and so do not qualify as sports. This is far from the truth, and the people who play video games competitively will routinely train themselves to exhaustion practicing the very same things anyone in any competitive physical sport would: reaction time, hand-eye coordination, endurance and stamina, and psychological fortitude, along with the strategy and planning competitive video games are typically known for. They do this because if they don't, they'll be beaten by the people who do; and, additionally, as with any skill or exercise, you can only get better by always pushing further.

It is the one sport where strength isn't a factor, though. It's all speed, reflexes, rapid decision making, overall strategy and ability to adapt on the fly, and all to the point where anyone past the age of 25 is at a severe disadvantage due to the body slowing down with age. Keeping the body in peak physical condition gives a noticeable advantage in reaction times and your muscle's ability to resist fatigue, and it's a proven fact that people who work out have faster reaction times and healthier brains than the people who don't.

I guess a good comparison is major league baseball vs you and your dad playing catch in the backyard.

FiveScissors475

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 1,211.70
Bank: 16,901.00
Wiki Edits: 221
@TSMP , we both know which one's the exception and which one's the rule.
Sad doggo
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 273,720.49
Bank: 7,719.71
Wiki Edits: 20694
I would think people who play videogames professionally are far from athletes, at least in the connotation of physical fitness. If I was an olympics runner I'd be rather offended to be lumped with some dude that sits at a chair moving just his fingers all day, wouldn't you?

"a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina"
"A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise"
"A person who takes part in competitive track and field events (athletics)."

About sports, it's interesting. E mentioned poker - and that kinda made me laugh given the definitions mention physical exertion:

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment: team sports such as soccer and rugby"
"An occasion on which people compete in various athletic activities"

I think ESPN is right on covering these things as ultimately their objective is to make money. However, sports seems to imply there must be physical/athletic aspect and as tiresome as a long tournament can be, so is a day of acting, singing or the math olympics, and there are competitions for those as well that aren't called a sport.

So... why do you all think that it ended up being "eSports" instead of something else? Easy name?
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon