Comments from our Elden Ring Wiki
By Anonymous
Honestly I dont care about any of parry skills additional effect. I just use this one cause I like the color more.
By Anonymous
War Thop
By Anonymous
Considering the effect of the spell version, the ash of war is considerably inferior. I wish this was used as a block skill, instead of a parry skill.
By Anonymous
you don't have to do Thop's quest to get this, you just have to kill him (Though I recommend killing him in NG+ if you did not know about it)
By Anonymous
Sure, you can always just DODGE the spell, but you gotta admit using this to negate the spell is a hell of a lot cooler.
By Anonymous
Is it effective against Star of Ruin spell like?
By Anonymous
No
By Anonymous
The ash of war isn't since it lasts so little, but the spell version can be held as a continous wall so that one is effective
By Anonymous
So if carian retaliation exists, and both AoW can be obtained at roughly the same point in the game... what's the point of this?
By Anonymous
Carian Retaliation will only absorb one projectile, which is a problem given how many projectiles some spells shoot out. This skill should be able to deflect multiple projectiles at once.
By Anonymous
Also, you technically block damage taken and then create projectiles so it still does chip thru shield and stamina damage. Im not sure if this consumes stamina, but it nullifies the projectile so instead of a measly 40% damage reduction on a buckler you can take 0% damage at the cost of not getting the 300 damage retaliation for 8FP
By Anonymous
Retaliation costs 8 FP this costs 0
By Anonymous
Style
By Anonymous
In-lore, Carian Retaliation is the secret weapon of the Carians, to deal with Raya Lucaria in case it rebels.

This approaches its power, while having been created by an outcast of Raya Lucaria. It is a testament of Thops' genius.
By Anonymous
The one time I tried using this was against the guy spamming Loretta's Greatbow in Carian Study Hall, so I assumed this AoW just had an insanely small window making it useless. I'll have to try it again after reading this page.
By Anonymous
Today I found out something extremely weird. When parrying with Thops's Barrier, it consumed stamina twice in rapid succession, but not when I had zero FP (and therefore spell parrying was disabled). Does this happen with the other three magic parry skills as well?
By Anonymous
Did you get a partial parry? Pretty sure that consumes a stamina hit for the blocked damage
By Anonymous
i just noticed something about this ash of war i haven't seen mentioned. Although the skill doesn't consume any FP to use, it doesn't activate if you have 0 FP.