Comments from our Elden Ring Wiki
By Anonymous
Offer rump
By Anonymous
First off, try finger, but hole!
By Anonymous
i like the ashes of war system. but this makes it worse then it could have been.
By Anonymous
I wish I could equip and unequip the ashes freely
By Anonymous
You can, have you not played the game yet? You can move ashes all you want. This simply gives you two so you can have it on two different weapons simultaneously, but you can move them between weapons all you want, at any grace site at no cost.
By Anonymous
One can be looted near a small chapel at the bottom of rotating elevator in Raya Lucaria Academy, closest grace is SCHOOLHOUSE CLASSROOM SITE, go all the way down on lift then jump up the ledge near abductor fight area
By Anonymous
Just got it, can confirm there's one there. You jump up some crystals to get it, there's also a smithing stone (5) and some talisman in the lower area before you jump up.
By Anonymous
So does this give you the skill without the stat changes once you've copied it?
By Anonymous
You can do that when you put an ability on a weapon, you can choose not to enhance the weapon stats and just have the ability only. This simply duplicates an Ash of War so you could put it on two different weapons at the same time (you can swap an Ash of War between weapons for free, all you want as long as they're compatible).
By Anonymous
Can you re-use this item or you need to choose carefully?
By Anonymous
I like that you have to really make your choices carefully. Not like other games when you get to freely swap out special abilities like you're changing clothing. I guess you can backup your save in case you really mess up and go for an ability you end up disliking.
By Anonymous
"Lost Ashes of War can be used to duplicate Ashes of War"

You can swap out your abilities all you want. It is free and you can move it between weapons. But if you want to put the same ability on two different weapons and you only have one of it, you have to duplicate it. That's where this comes in
By Anonymous
wow. what a terrible thing to like in a game.
By Anonymous
So you can only get a finite amount of these things from each playthrough?
By gdubrocks
Yes, but there are many more than you would reasonably use in a playthrough.
By gdubrocks
By gdubrocks
By Anonymous
pickle...
By Anonymous
It seems people either have not played the game yet, or don't understand how Ashes work.
You can move ashes between weapons freely, they don't use up and they don't get soulbound to a weapon.
You can do this at any Grace site as well as the smith.
You use this item to give yourself TWO of a specific Ash of War so you could have it on two weapons at the same time, without having to move it between them.
You can equip Ashes of War on the weapon without enhancing the weapon stats by selecting the correct option after equipping an Ash of War
You can unequip or move an Ash of War to another weapon at any time. Simply go to a weapon you want to unequip from.
You don't need to unequip Ashes of War to move them to another weapon, you can simply go to weapon you want them on, select them, and select yes when prompted "it's equipped on X weapon, do you want to unequip and move to this weapon".

By Anonymous
The confusion is because Whetstone, the item required to shift ashes, is not an item you start with and I'm pretty sure the blacksmith, when he describes placing ashes, words itin such a way that implies the previous is destroyed,
By Anonymous
Thank you I have been hesitant to use the ashes because I wasn't sure if I would use it up.
By Anonymous
Addition - it seems you have to have that weapon with that Ashes, and not in your storage to be able to swap without having to unequip. I couldn't find the Bloody Slash Ashes, but remembered it was in my storage on a weapon i didn't use anymore.
By Anonymous
YOOO
That helps. I'm most of the way through the game, and I was hesitant to use them because I have a hard time committing.