Comments from our Elden Ring Wiki
By theheromachine
Posts Avatar
What's the point of using Shanaynay's Woe? Why would you want to build up madness, if it causes detrimental effects when the bar is filled? Is there some kind of mechanic that makes it beneficial like beasthood in Bloodborne?
By Anonymous
The incantation Flame of Frenzy inflicts madness build-up on hit, so I assume it's a talisman that increases the madness build-up of your own attacks.
By Anonymous
It could just be weirdly worded. It may be trying to say that it increases your MAXIMUM madness buildup, meaning you can take more madness before it harms you. That, or it could be what the others said and it means if lets you cause additional madness on others.
By Anonymous
the wiki definitely worded it strangely, i cant tell if it makes your weapon deal madness, if it increases madness for attacks that already deal madness, if its a throwable, or if its a defensive consumable that increases your madness resistance.
By Anonymous
could just be what it says it is. Fromsoftware loves to do things like this, after all this is a souls like.
By Anonymous
Shanaynay's Woe LMAO
By Anonymous
it does none of the things that people have speculated here, it's used for holding aggro
By Anonymous
There is a helmet that lets you deal bonus damage if you or a nearby enemy has madness.
By Anonymous
Golden seed is going to be a pretty powerful pick. It's not permanent since eventually you will reach the cap and get excess seeds but the benefit will last longer than most other gifts. But you also have the key which will be very important for getting key items early for some builds. Of course this is build specific and requires knowledge of the items ahead of time. I expect this won't be a popular choice day one but later on it'll be valuable. As for the rest it depends. Cracked pot also seems permanent since thrown items are supposed to return but I'm not sure how the mechanic works yet. The rune is very limited in use. A couple levels that are evened out by natural rune gain. Eh. Either way Elden ring really stepped up it's gift game and they'll actually matter now compared to DS1 which had one good item (probably by accident) and DS3 which barely mattered.
By Anonymous
You use Throwing Pots to craft Throwing Pot-type throwables. Then when you use one, it returns the empty pot so you can craft with it again.
By Anonymous
choosing the pot removes two of them from the game that you would otherwise be able to get later. Much like the seed you are choosing for an early benefit over getting it later but unlike the seed the pots are harder to get as much use out of early on because you also have to have the crafting cookbooks to get the recipes and the materials to craft the pots, of which you are going to have very little of early game unless you're going out of your way to collect butterflies
By Anonymous
Assuming that there is another Vanguard-type boss in the tutorial area with only one chance to kill it, the Fanged Imp Ashes look tempting for an easier kill. Same goes for the cracked pot if the tutorial area offers the items necessary to craft black firebombs with them.
By Anonymous
Update: I was wrong. There is a one-time tutorial boss but you can't summon spirit ashes during the fight. Also, you cannot craft items until after the tutorial.
By Anonymous
Actually, you can return to that boss later; go to the Four Belfries in Liurnia NW from the Academy and try... I think it was the second waygate? It's unlocked with an Imbued Key, but one is sitting at the top of that location in a chest, so you'll have one regardless.
By Anonymous
I have a question about the Stonesword key do u think it’s a good idea to grab it cause I know there’s gargoyle lock in the beginning
By Anonymous
yes I do think it's a good idea to grab the Stonesword key cause I know there's gargoyle lock in the beginning
By Anonymous
I also agree that it's a good idea to grab the Stonesword key cause I know there's gargoyle lock in the beginning
By Anonymous
Probably couldn't hurt, but it's a gamble. You don't know if what it unlocks is something you'll want. For subsequent playthroughs, it'll probably be the keepsake of choice.
By Anonymous
I feel like the key will be the best in like NG+ or future runs when we know where everything is. Going in blind day 1, I'll be picking the seed. I think it's more helpful on a first playthrough.
By Anonymous
If i knew that there was a gargoyle lock in the beginning I might pick it, otherwise it's hard to say.
By Anonymous
I don't know if it's a good idea to grab the Stonesword key cause I don't know if there's a gargoyle lock in the beginning
By Anonymous
In the beginning there was a gargoyle lock, and it was pickable.
By Anonymous
Well, also depends on what's behind the gargoyle lock. If it's a prawn, then maybe I'd take the keepsake one, since then at least I knew where it's been before.
By Anonymous
The Stonesword dungeon at the beginning is hella hard. Doubtful you'll even make it to the other side once you drop down.
By Anonymous
These people are trolling you. That lock at the start requires two keys. And it leads to something you will *not* be able to kill at the start, and if you go there from the beginning you will have an awful time.

Stonesword keys are really easy to find, and you can also buy them from several vendors. Honestly I'd go with something else. The Fanged Imp summons or the Shabiri's Woe talisman if you're playing co-op/using summons.
By Anonymous
It���s right at the start so just save your toon to favorites and you can reroll if you don���t like the Imp statue drop.
By Anonymous
takes you into a troll (as in trolling not full of troll enemies) dungeon that you have to cross a room full of poison to get into. The amount of time you'll spend dying in there as a new character is greater than the time it would take you to go get the runes to buy keys and coming back better prepared
By Anonymous
The branch has old witch ring vibes
By Anonymous
I am going to choose the prawn because that's what I would use in real life
By Anonymous
Nah man irl I would pick the pot and smash it into my own skull, instant death.
By Anonymous
can't! allergic to shellfish
By Anonymous
Can’t wait to pick the prawn and never eat it.
By Anonymous
Epic
By Anonymous
prawn friend all the way
By Anonymous
On the one hand an extra flask would be nice starting out but on the other hand, he prawn.
By Anonymous
HE PRAWN BABY