Comments from our Elden Ring Wiki
By Anonymous
"Intelligence enhances many aspects of magic and sorceries, not only increases the maximum capacity of FP, but it also increases the quality of Spells" (stated below the first paragraph on last update: 25 Nov 2021)

So unlike sorcery builds, faith builds need to invest into mind and faith if they are willing to improve the FP pool (I'm guessing you get more FP from the mind stat than Intelligence stat to balance faith builds with sorcery builds, I could be wrong though).
By Anonymous
that seems to be what its spelling out. I was gonna go for a str/fai hybrid but i may switch that up learning this. it may just be wrong tho. hard telling
By Anonymous
nope int doesn���t increasd FP, only mind does
By Anonymous
Yeah I think other anon is right. I don't think INT increases FP. I have like 40 INT and I'm 99% sure my FP hasn't budged.
By Anonymous
No INT doesn't increase FP.
By Anonymous
Intelligence 16-38 you get 1 point MagicAtttack per level. 38-?? only 0,5 so you need 2 points for onr mage attack
By Anonymous
Soft cap seems to be 80, and I didn't notice any significant curve on the progression. But after 80, it gives next to nothing.
By Anonymous
Not to be **** (genuinely mean that) but if it gives near nothing after 80 that would be the hard cap, right? Soft cap is where you start to get diminished returns which if its anything like DS3 should be around 40..... Again not trying to be a **** its just Im here to find out when I should start distributing points elsewhere in the midgame to balance between damage output, defense and supporting stats (my sorcery builds in souls are normally half n half faith int after a certain point to make use of all spells.... Arcane is REALLY messing me up with my normal routine.
By Anonymous
I think hard cap is ehn you can't level up anymore. Soft cap is when you can, but it won't matter much
By Anonymous
First reply is correct; EVERYBODY seems to be misusing the term "soft cap". When the diminishing returns start to set in, that's the soft cap (around 50), then once it gets to a point where you barely see any return at all, that's a hard cap (around 80). 99 is the max, not a cap. I don't know why people keep using "soft cap" to mean hard cap. When did this change in the lexicon? It's been this way for 13 years since Demon's Souls!
By ApexLiberty
Posts Avatar
You're right third guy. Since the first Dark Souls, players has always refer to the point of greatest diminishing returns of stats as hard caps. Elden Ring is the best selling souls game, so I guess all the new players are trying to change the vocabulary for some reason.
By Anonymous
The terminology "change" is just because "hard cap" in the context of discussion in the Souls community is incorrect as in all other circumstances it has always referred to a limit which can not be surpassed. "Hard cap" as it is used in the Souls community is really a soft cap, just one that is a little "firmer" than the point of diminishing returns the Souls community refers to as the "soft cap"
By Anonymous
Third guy still has it right. That is not terminology exclusive to soulsborne games. Most, if not all RPGs (Especially MMORPGs) use the same concept. There is always a "soft cap" which is a maximized potential before diminishing returns set in, thereby lowering the amount gained up to a "hard cap". A "hard cap" is a point at which spending points past that are basically wasteful and better spent elsewhere to maximize potential. Then lastly, there is a "max" which means you literally can't go higher than said threshold and thereby past that is dead points. Been this way for like the last 20-30 years of gaming, if not longer.
By Anonymous
i found the soft cap at 80. has 352-353 spell buff with boss staff it can be raised further but like 1 point at a level.
By Anonymous
its actually soft+hardcap its raises straight up to 80 and almost zero return after 80.
By Anonymous
80??? HOLY ****, What are these "soft caps" Fromsoft.
By Anonymous
Are the softcaps for int and fth different? Does int continue to scale well past fth to make up for the lack of sorcery variety?
By Anonymous
Soft Cap for INT and FTH for specifcally weapons seems to be around 50. You can obviously put more points into it, but only every 3rd or 4th is actually going to get you more than +1 increase in attack rating. Tested it with the Darkmoon Greatsword and Royal Greatsword for INT, as well as the Inseperable Greatsword and the Ciper Pata & and Coded Sword for FTH.
By Anonymous
That's judging around the scaling of the weapons which inherently is built for hybrids. 80 is the actual soft cap when using the spells to measure the increase
By Anonymous
Yes, that's literally what the OP said. No mention of casting tools, just weapons.
By Anonymous
soft cap seams to be 70 or 80 for every stat
By Anonymous
Imp Head (cat) increases intelligence by 2 points when worn.
By Anonymous
Twinsage Crown does it by like 7 or so, with a minor decrease to HP
By Anonymous
I hate that some holy incantations require investment in intelligence like seriously why from soft they've never done that before in their games.
By Anonymous
What? There was an entire school of spells in previous game called ���Hexes��� that required both intelligence and faith. They���ve just folded that idea into sorceries and miracles
By Anonymous
If you're upset about the golden order stuff specifically that requires a perfect 50/50 split between int and faith, yeah it's kinda dumb, but not a big deal since the incants involved are all undead-centric anyway and not really practical for most of the game. It's just for the people who want to roleplay as a golden order adherent, going around killing zombies with their weird t-pose ring and hanging out with vampire hunter D. It's a whole class of magic that's more or less new to the game anyway, it's not like lightning spear requires 10 int to use.
By Anonymous
Those are the Fundamentalist incantations. There are several schools of magic each in sorceries and incantations
By Anonymous
Pyromancies and Hexes? Just because there's only 2 categories of spells in this game doesn't mean they can't mix things up. The int/fth spells are great, it gives you a reason to make an int/fth build.