Comments posted to our Dark Souls 2 Wiki
By Anonymous
Beat him first try, all you need to do is stack magic defense: Spell Quartz Ring +3, Dispelling Ring +1, and Black set had me at 612 magic resist. I equipped the Rebels greathshield not even upgraded but didnt need it too much, only thing to note is that he delays his attacks longer than the regular smelter, so hold your dodges a split second longer. He got melted by the roaring halberd w/ dark weapon.
By Anonymous
boss messed me up
By Anonymous
It is absolutely, 100%, undeniably, irrefutably NOT weak to poison
By Anonymous
he is poisened by like 2 or 3 throwing knifes
By Anonymous
The hitbox on that damn vertical slam cost me like 3 runs
By Anonymous
After burning through so many effigies, I got totally lucky: after killing the second NPC, and with about 50% of his life remaining, Blue just stood there and took my beating. I can't believe how long it took to kill him, even without him moving. Do I feel a little bad cheesing him like this? Maybe if it was the first or second time trying to beat him, but not on the tenth.
By Anonymous
Respawns: YES
By Anonymous
xbox 360/sotfs version- After defeat he dropped soul of red smelter demon.
By Anonymous
This boss is NOT weak to Dark - my Dark Arrows with +10 hunter's blackbow did no significant damage against him. He indeed takes poison significant damage, but takes 7+ arrows.
The Blue Version visual of this boss is quite beautiful, but unfortunately it's Dark Souls 2, hotboxes are broken and the melee combat may be complicated. I gave up after he killed me with 2 attacks and just cheesed him using the npc summons and poison/dark arrows. (I do not recommend Dark arrows, but I only had poison and dark ones).
By Anonymous
Maybe these games turned me into a masochist, but the runup really isn't that bad - takes like 30-40 seconds and you usually shouldn't get hit by anything - the boss itself is pretty fun and feels good to dodge, just stay away when he kneels after a jump and keep a life gem active for last phase, other than that, pretty doable in 1-5 tries solo
By Anonymous
Also, use the +3 spell def ring, obviously
By Anonymous
its true, summon the 2 phantoms and take the low path, its not bad. Banish them with black separation crystal before entering the boss fog.
By Anonymous
people downvote this because they suck and would rather blame DS2 than their own skill issue. git gud
By Anonymous
def not weak to poison.
By Anonymous
Or dark.
By Anonymous
he gets poisoned by 3 throwing knifes. wtf?