Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

CariadocThorne

Souls: 65.00
Hi there,

I played DS1 years ago, but never really got into DS2. I started playing DS3 a couple of years ago, but I tried to recreate my playstyle/build from DS1, and it just wasn't as fun in DS3, so I lost interest by the time I reached the undead settlement.

I'm now coming back and about to start a new playthrough with a whole new character build and play style, but I'm not sure how to best build the character in terms of stats and infusions. I'm planning to get settled early on with a bandit knife and off-hand caestus, switching to a hand axe and lothric knight shield.

My first instinct was to go for a bit of Strength and Dex early on, then switch to focusing on Luck once I start getting the coals and gems for infusion. I would infuse the Bandit knife with poison (to combo with the bleed), and the hand axe with Hollow, then I was thinking I could infuse the Caestus with blessed for some HP regen and to let me finish skeletons without them getting back up, and the shield with Simple to give me some FP regen.

Is this a viable approach? Should I put Simple on the Caestus instead to give me FP for quick step, and put blessed on the shield? Should I ditch poison and hollow on the bandit knife and hand axe for sharp and go with a dex build? Something else entirely?

Any advice you can give is much appreciated.

Edit: oh, I'm mainly focused on PvE, so that's the priority, but I'd like to at least have a chance of fighting off invaders, so PvP is secondary, but not completely unimportant to me.

Wayward_Night

Souls: 72.00
Honestly, I'd say either choose the Caestus or choose the shield with simple infusion. Later on you can just use the Sun Princess' ring for HP regen and keep simple infusion for FP regen. I don't think you should use Caestus and shield in offhand since switching between them for the different regen types is ineffective and tedious. As for the poison weapon you talked about, I don't think it's worth even leveling luck since status ailments won't do much unless it's like a bleed build, but even then I'm sure a quality, strength, or dex build can do more DPS. I'd say early on go for at least 30 vigor for a good health pool and level everything else as needed.

If it helps my build is just 66 strength, 60 dex, 50 vigor, 55 endurance, and 30 vitality. My offhand is a simple lothric shield and my main weapons are mostly two handed weapons that are refined to take advantage of the strength and dex equality (weapons such as Exile Curved GS, Harald Curved GS, Spiked Mace, and even some other fun weapons like Profaned GS and Black Knight weapons) My rings are Havel's Ring +3, Life Ring +3, Ring of Favor +3, and Prisoner's chain.

I hope this all helped!
Gonna get this out of the way now. LEVEL UP YOUR VIGOR. After that get a weapon you really like and look at the required stats. Level that up then level your strength, upgrade weapons when possible and for the situation. Ex. Undead settlement is weak to fire. Fight dragons with lightning yada yada. Periodically level health and strength and you should be good. At least in my experience.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 24,321.50
Wiki Edits: 42
CariadocThorne wrote:My first instinct was to go for a bit of Strength and Dex early on, then switch to focusing on Luck once I start getting the coals and gems for infusion. I would infuse the Bandit knife with poison (to combo with the bleed), and the hand axe with Hollow, then I was thinking I could infuse the Caestus with blessed for some HP regen and to let me finish skeletons without them getting back up, and the shield with Simple to give me some FP regen.

Is this a viable approach? Should I put Simple on the Caestus instead to give me FP for quick step, and put blessed on the shield? Should I ditch poison and hollow on the bandit knife and hand axe for sharp and go with a dex build? Something else entirely?

Dear Cariadoc, welcome to the forum.

the sad reality is that although viable, the luck builds is one of the worst in terms of efficacy:

the bleed is the real weapon in the arsena of luck buildsl but you get the same bleeding capability on a bandit knife by keeping the normal / sharp / heavy /refined / raw / hollow infusion + carthus rouge than you get by infusing with bleed.
I know it sounds cool and smart to infuse it in poison but it just is not efficient at all: poison is essentially useless both in Pve and Pvp and by doing this you lose the bleeding ability almost completely.

So if you want to stick to luck investment, here is what I suggest:
take luck up to 40ish
use the bandit knife infused with bleed if you plan on switching often your weapon (if you do this, reapplying carthus rouge becomes a real drag so it is better to infuse in bleed) or hollow + carthus if this is your main weapon.
use the sword of Anri as your physical damage dealer (you need to get it early though which is spoiling a lot for you)
use other weapons infused either raw / hollow or bleed like the carthus curved swords (those proc bleed super fast both infused in bleed or buffed with carthus), carthus greatsword for some poise, etc...

the truth is that getting points in luck is viable but not nearly as powerful as in dex/strength or more classical stats. At higher level, once you capped str/dex, luck is the perfect way to go further by infusing your weapon in hollow then they scale on str, dex AND luck...then you get more AR from you weapons that you would using just normal physical scaling.

If you want a challenge, try sticking to soul level 30 ish, use your bandit knife upgraded to maximum +3-+4 and finish the game like this: bandit knife is the ultimate weapon for this: in the grand scheme of things, even when pumping lots of stats in it, it never does big damage....but the real strength comes from the bleeding capability when buffed with carthus coupled to the evasive insanatity of quickstep (totally broken cheat imo but perfectly efficient). versus bosses that resist bleed, buff with element of weakness.

good luck (if I may say so)
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!