By Anonymous
Does yokai shift has tenacity like lw in nioh1 or it can be spammed?
By Anonymous
that's action not tenacity
By Anonymous
What keyboard buttons is it to suck in Amrita while in Yokai Shift? Game supports keyboard+mouse but wiki (any website really) never explains what buttons those two are. What is R1 and R2 in actual in-game functions? Like "dodge+run" or "parry+hard hit" etc. That would make me understand what buttons to press on the keyboard. Cheers.
By Anonymous
Should be "Stance change+Yokai ability"
The ones you use for switching stances and activating Yokai abities/burst counter respectively.
By Anonymous
I tried getting into Nioh 2 a while back. No matter what I did something felt off and I quickly lost interest. The story is much less interesting to me then the first, and I know the game is more about the mechanics, but I wasn't meshing with those either, and without a semi-engaging story I didn't have a reason to press on. But I think I get it now. I was trying to play the game like Nioh 1, but the Yokai shift is so much different then LW, and the focus is on anima. I treated anima like it needed to be conserved for burst counters, so I rarely used yokai abilities. Even when I did it was more to throw out a big attack that burned a lot of anima. I was unaware of a lot of these abilities, like the ability usage in yokai shift. I think I'm ready to give this game another shot. Wish me luck!
By Anonymous
Good luck! :o)
By Anonymous
That was about my problem for most of the first area. Only figured it out against Yatsu-no-Kami when I realized I had to fight him fully on the offensive. I'm still not crazy about Yokai Shift though. It's only marginally more interesting than Living Weapon. It's just about spamming yokai skills instead of normal attacks.
By Anonymous
I understand that LW was very powerful mechanic in Nioh 1 and some player found it to be little too good, but Nioh 2 replacement just sucks. For one, Burst counter just feels like a parry. Whats worse about Yokai Shift is there is very little variety in using it. In nioh 1, there were a ton of guardian spirits to choose from with all different elements whose status effect could customize your preferred play style. Perhaps the most damaging part of Yokai Shift is how little skill it takes to use. LW weapon rewarded user for dodging consecutive hits in order to keep living weapon up for as long as possible and the mechanic could easily be lost/misused by taking hits in higher difficulties. Yokai shift just spams Yokai abilities that outright suck or completely murder your opponent with very little skill input. Not a huge fan on mechanic change and I doubt anyone would make a build revolving this mechanic.
By Anonymous
Waaaah, my video game isn't a tedious reaction fest, and is actually fun for everyone else, waaah.

Too bad both mechanics are designed to make the game easier for a few seconds, so pick your poison.
By Anonymous
im pissing myself laughing reading this as a user of critical health Yokai build
By Anonymous
Have you considered the fact that you might be using it wrong? It's either that or you're just triggered because you died failing a burst counter.
By Anonymous
The fact that you're getting downvoted this much shows just how bad the community has gotten since Nioh 1; hell, what drew me into the series, partially, was how friendly the community was back then - even if someone said something unpopular, there was at least some form of civil discussion overall. Now look; someone dares to say they found Nioh 2 to be bad compared to the first game, they get downvoted and mocked. Seriously, these replies are the definition of childish; someone says they don't like something compared to the first game, and they're treated like a mentally dumb child? Seriously guys?

I honestly agree with you, OP; Nioh 2's Yokai Shift honest-to-God feels near-useless compared to the Living Weapon. In 1, LW was a versatile and admittedly cheap, but still really fun super mode that could be used effectively for just about any build. Meanwhile, YS is pretty much useless from my experience; you can't really use it for melee, as it honestly feels really awkward to use, and every YS boils down to "use the same ability on every build, over and over, until the boss falls". Yes, you can make some unique builds for it - March 15 anon made a Critical Health build - but every usage basically translates to the same thing in the end.
By Anonymous
For all Living Weapon's faults, at least it made you feel special. Yokai Shift feels flimsy as hell, and with anima gain being so quick, being able to spam yokai skills doesn't really feel that special. Burst Counters seem like they're intended to be this big momentum shift, but in practice they feel more like anima checks to punish you for overusing yokai skills. Great ideas, lackluster execution.
By ForsakenFruit
Posts Avatar
It's possible to perfom a yokai grapple without using a yokai shift if you drain the ki of an enemy with a burst counter and quickly press the grapple button. It's much easier to do this on non-boss yokais when they are low/out of ki.
By ForsakenFruit
Posts Avatar
I should mention that it's easy to do with a brute guardian spirit (from experience) and probably possible with a phantom but may require some positioning and precision with a feral to pull off, although I can't say I've used phantom and feral guardians much.
By Anonymous
Ive done it with phantom a few times. Purely by accident though!
By Anonymous
Two large spirit stonea seem to be more than enough to fully charge an amirita gauge. It doesn't seem like you can carry over a full amirita gauge from mission to mission anymore though.