Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,660.00
Okay I've got a Str/faith build going I'm doing a co-op stream run with a friend, and toying with a Dex/int build as a way ot shake things up. An old fan of DS3 from the ps4 but never done an int build

Wanting to do something new and mess with the dex weapons more, so thinking of doing a hybrid build. I know Frayed Blade is late game and can't be buffed but I love the sword, so was curious any advice for getting to that point?

Rangrok

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,940.00
Full disclosure, I find hybrid Int builds to be my least favorite hybrid magic build. My main issue is that a lot of Sorceries (compared to Miracles and even Pyromancies) are either just damage or gimmicky. If you just want ranged damage, often a pure dex build with a bow/crossbow will do comparable damage. Shifting through gimmicks and small niches you get...

Great Magic Shield - This is arguably one of the most broken spells in the game. Seriously, I've used Great Magic Shield on a +6 Twin Dragon Greatshield to block the Angels in the Dreg Heap, losing neither stamina nor health. You can also throw on a Leo Ring and a thrusting weapon for some nice counter-hit damages. Stabbing people from behind an unbreakable shield is one of the most annoyingly broken strategies in Dark Souls.

Weapon Buffs - Int builds get access to more/earlier weapon buffs than the other magic schools. So weapon buff builds can work incredibly well. Usually, this is best with fast or twin-weapons, like the Sellsword Twinblades. In general, weapon buffs add a fixed amount of damage per swing. As a result, weapons that swing fast get the most benefit out of weapon buffs.

I would recommend one of those two builds if you really want to do a Dex/Int build.

Or you can just go pure dex, because that 40 dex requirement is really steep, unless you're in NG+.

EDIT**
Oh and I forgot Friede's Scythe and the Aquamarine Dagger. Friede's Scythe can carry an entire loadout, but note that Int only affects the magic blue off-hand scythe that is used for the weapon art. Aquamarine Dagger is just fun. I can't really tell how practical it is, but it sure is fun to use.
Last edited by Rangrok on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Addicted
First Warden

Yeah was just wanting to toy with Sorceries a bit, I'm working on a Dark/Pyro/melee build on my ps4, I have a str/faith going on my main run here, never messed with sorceries before.

Got a dex/int build in ds1 with Velka's rapier, and working on the MLGS,

Got a sorcery build in ds2 with magic mace, MLGS Staff of wisdom, and such.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 23,977.50
Wiki Edits: 26
OK OK....hear me out:

I am actually playing a intelligence/dex build and have been toying with it for a while so here are my thoughts:

1) do not cast spells...at all ever...this is not your place. you will not deal enough damage even with 40 intelligence because you will not have the rings etc...and if you do, you will not have the setup to use your weapons (not enough stamina, not enough poise, damage absorption etc). You use intelligence only as an extra source of damage for your weapons...not to cast spells (although you can for PvE for invisibility, frozen mist, pestilent mercury etc...) but not in Pvp

2) use the greatsword of judgment, the aquamarine dagger, the Friede greatscythe primarily. Moon crescent sword and sage rapier are fun as well...matter of preference. of course you can use all other weapons than scale off dexterity like katanas sellsword etc...buff them with magic weapons if you want to use a spell buff or just resin...this is a hybrid build...I switch to any weapon my opponent uses generally just for fun as they are pretty much all +9 anyways...with 26/40 you can use any weapon apart from some pure strength ones....so use it!
Frayed blade require 40 dex...the rest (strength and int and faith) scaling are totally irrelevant. it is pretty much a prure dex weapon that will not benefit from your intelligence. but it is still the top katana for ease of use (chaos blade and other stance katanas are still top tier in proper hands).

3) here is the build at 125
https://soulsplanner.com/darksouls3/27574
or 120
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/263548

it is a hybrid build meaning it is stats hungry therefore needs the prisoner to optimize stats.
you need strength for the jusdgment sword, not the rest so you can save on strength if you do not wish to use this beautiful sword but you will miss out on the big big damage dealer of int hybrid builds. do not let the damage split fool you: with those stats, you out damage any GS and most UGS actually (buffed of course)

I use primarily the GSoJ for massive damage, laser mind **** (must use unlocked) and dealing with people that can be poise broken and little pesky weapons like SS and katanas
Friede is for the dagger quick step spammers and the backstab fishers that roll towards your buttocks all the time: weapon art has little poise but enough to guarantee trade win for these
aquamarine dagger is for the roll away spammers / kitters thanks to the combo r1 ==> L2 ==> R2 ==> R2
manikin claws I use to chase casters and pressure them to death... I use it mostly as a spear really but this is just me because they are my favorite weapons but this is my unique playstyle mixing reverse back steps with everything so...can use a small shield intead whatever....and armor etc is also up to preferences obviously.

now if you want a sorcerer build, look not at this but use crystal longsword, 60 intelligence and fast roll OR MLGS medium roll andsome armor for more tankiness. then 24 attunement and you decide about spells but I go :
great farron dart, soul greatsword, and a big hitter of choice (soul spear or greatsoul drge etc) and an extra spell to annoy the hell of others: soul mass is the best but you can also use deep soul etc to force people rolling while you cast something else or recover...
totally different playstyle to the hybrid build though...mostly using spells from afar and dealing with danger when it comes close.
the hybrid aims at closing the gap and meleing while retaining some surprise midrange attacks...
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Addicted
First Warden

Well another pair of weapons I wouldn't mind messing with on a dex/int build

Gotthard's twin swords I've always wanted to use them in a build, but they keep getting overshadowed by other weapons perhaps them on a high dex build wiht Crystal Magic Weapon on them would help.