Discuss Team Ninja's action rpg Nioh
Wiki: Visit the Nioh Wiki
Visit the Nioh 2 Wiki
Reply  

IvoryNK

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:14 pm
Souls: 80.00
Posts: 3
Reputation: 0
#1
now i completed bloodborne and i loved the challenge, loved the combat and love the atmosphere of the game. i feel disappointed with myself though because i solo'd the entire game up until the final boss where after about a million attempts at killing him i invited another player in and just walked it easily. so in my mind i cheated.

i also love the combat in nioh, even though i havent even got past the first boss because i decided not to bother playing for this reason;

get to the point. i dont like how basically, the only way to play this game is to run, farm, run, farm, run, farm.

meaning you kill everything in a level then retreat to safety to upgrade. then when you wanna kill the boss you run past every single enemy and just do the boss.

i assume its exactly the same with nioh....

am i right in this or am i playing wrong?

IvoryNK

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:14 pm
Souls: 80.00
Posts: 3
Reputation: 0
#2
bump i wana play but not in that way

advice needed !
Avatar

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:35 am
Souls: 235.00
Bank: 67,308.50
Posts: 1137
Reputation: 31
Wiki Edits: 13770
#3
A lot of people play it that way, I don't play it that way at all.

I went through this whole several times and never farmed until maybe near the very end of it.

You can either commit to learning the mechanics and mastering your playstyle, or farm, which is like putting it on easy mode.
Shop IconShop Icon
Avatar

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am
Location: Nebraska
Souls: 26,905.00
Posts: 4572
Reputation: 276
Wiki Edits: 41
#4
I'm no really that far in (second boss not counting the tutorial one) and I haven't had to purposefully farm. So you can if you wish to over level the area just like any other souls like. but it's entirely unneeded.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.
Avatar

Back_Lot_Basher

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Canada
Souls: 22,820.00
Posts: 4100
Reputation: 107
Wiki Edits: 15
#5
BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:I'm no really that far in (second boss not counting the tutorial one) and I haven't had to purposefully farm. So you can if you wish to over level the area just like any other souls like. but it's entirely unneeded.


In the tower of London section the game was dropping "medicine" left and right. But when it shifts to Japan I noticed that you start with three healing items at the shrine. I'm assuming it's like estus. Can you raise the number you carry, or find more along the way? I've died in the first section a couple of dozen times, mostly because I run out of health and keep getting chipped to death. And what's with that uber-mob at the top of the first incline? I keep getting swarmed by some tough hombres.
"Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument"
Avatar

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am
Location: Nebraska
Souls: 26,905.00
Posts: 4572
Reputation: 276
Wiki Edits: 41
#6
Back_Lot_Basher wrote:
BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:I'm no really that far in (second boss not counting the tutorial one) and I haven't had to purposefully farm. So you can if you wish to over level the area just like any other souls like. but it's entirely unneeded.


In the tower of London section the game was dropping "medicine" left and right. But when it shifts to Japan I noticed that you start with three healing items at the shrine. I'm assuming it's like estus. Can you raise the number you carry, or find more along the way? I've died in the first section a couple of dozen times, mostly because I run out of health and keep getting chipped to death. And what's with that uber-mob at the top of the first incline? I keep getting swarmed by some tough hombres.


Yes those heals are this games estus. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think there is a way to naturally increase how many you carry. I know that you can respawn at a shrine and be carrying 8. But this is because I have it set up to re stock me with heal items and what not everytime I am back at the shrine. Any over stock of any items you pick off of the ground are automatically sent to the shrine when you pick them up. The option to restock you for items is off by default. at least it was for me on pc.

I originally thought that guiding the little green guys back to the shrine was causing me to do that. but then after blowing through a lot of heals i noticed I started respawning with only 3. The point of guiding those guys back to the shrine is to get access to all of the blessings. and then improving those blessings by finding more of the little guys associated with said blessings. (there is a blessing which increases the chance of finding the heal items. it's the blessing I run with most of the time.)

And you'll have to be a bit more specific about the area you're talking about. are you referring to a guy with an odochi (big katana) who sits on the platform that's between the first ramp up and the second one that goes up farther to a house?
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.
Avatar

Back_Lot_Basher

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Canada
Souls: 22,820.00
Posts: 4100
Reputation: 107
Wiki Edits: 15
#7
BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:And you'll have to be a bit more specific about the area you're talking about. are you referring to a guy with an odochi (big katana) who sits on the platform that's between the first ramp up and the second one that goes up farther to a house?


I died so many times, I can probably describe it. Basically from the first shrine you work your way up to a spot where one easy enemy comes out of a house on your right, and there are two standing by a house just ahead. You can hug a low cliff on your left, which veers up to a point where you can either keep going straight, or turn right and face a single warrior with a katana. This guy on the right is a lot tougher, and as you follow the path he was blocking, up and to the right, there's a small house with even more of these tough dudes. I can't get close to the inner part of the structure because I get mobbed and can't come close to beating them. I just run away. I was thinking maybe I'm not supposed to go up there (by comparison, the difficulty reminded me of running into a Black Knight in the Undead Burg while still at level 1).

The combat in this game is a ton of fun, but it seems a lot harder than any of the Souls' games.
"Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument"
Avatar

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am
Location: Nebraska
Souls: 26,905.00
Posts: 4572
Reputation: 276
Wiki Edits: 41
#8
Back_Lot_Basher wrote:
BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:And you'll have to be a bit more specific about the area you're talking about. are you referring to a guy with an odochi (big katana) who sits on the platform that's between the first ramp up and the second one that goes up farther to a house?


I died so many times, I can probably describe it. Basically from the first shrine you work your way up to a spot where one easy enemy comes out of a house on your right, and there are two standing by a house just ahead. You can hug a low cliff on your left, which veers up to a point where you can either keep going straight, or turn right and face a single warrior with a katana. This guy on the right is a lot tougher, and as you follow the path he was blocking, up and to the right, there's a small house with even more of these tough dudes. I can't get close to the inner part of the structure because I get mobbed and can't come close to beating them. I just run away. I was thinking maybe I'm not supposed to go up there (by comparison, the difficulty reminded me of running into a Black Knight in the Undead Burg while still at level 1).

The combat in this game is a ton of fun, but it seems a lot harder than any of the Souls' games.


Yeah I think I understand the first part you're talking about. but then you lose me with the rest of the post aha. Just to be clear we're talking about the level right after the tutorial right? where the first shrine is on a beach by some rocks?
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.
Avatar

Back_Lot_Basher

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Canada
Souls: 22,820.00
Posts: 4100
Reputation: 107
Wiki Edits: 15
#9
BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:
Back_Lot_Basher wrote:
BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:And you'll have to be a bit more specific about the area you're talking about. are you referring to a guy with an odochi (big katana) who sits on the platform that's between the first ramp up and the second one that goes up farther to a house?


I died so many times, I can probably describe it. Basically from the first shrine you work your way up to a spot where one easy enemy comes out of a house on your right, and there are two standing by a house just ahead. You can hug a low cliff on your left, which veers up to a point where you can either keep going straight, or turn right and face a single warrior with a katana. This guy on the right is a lot tougher, and as you follow the path he was blocking, up and to the right, there's a small house with even more of these tough dudes. I can't get close to the inner part of the structure because I get mobbed and can't come close to beating them. I just run away. I was thinking maybe I'm not supposed to go up there (by comparison, the difficulty reminded me of running into a Black Knight in the Undead Burg while still at level 1).

The combat in this game is a ton of fun, but it seems a lot harder than any of the Souls' games.


Yeah I think I understand the first part you're talking about. but then you lose me with the rest of the post aha. Just to be clear we're talking about the level right after the tutorial right? where the first shrine is on a beach by some rocks?


That's the one. But it turns out I was able to find a better approach using another path, one that took me past some cliffs with an archer, then dropping down into a shallow chasm on the other side of the structure. I still got mobbed, but they were all lower level. Inside that structure was the first of those cloud-spawing ******* you meet. I thought it was a boss and might have pooped a little.
"Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument"
Avatar

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am
Location: Nebraska
Souls: 26,905.00
Posts: 4572
Reputation: 276
Wiki Edits: 41
#10
OHHH okay you were going a completely different route than I did.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.