Discuss FromSoftware's Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Visit the Sekiro Shadows Die Twice Wiki

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 26,905.00
Wiki Edits: 41
So a small bit of backround. When Shadows die twice finally got some details after the E3 showing I really was turned off. It ditched any kind of coop/pvp, there is no stats so no builds. I was basically looking for another souls like title and this wasn't it. But over the past few months my gaming desires have switched. I've been getting into more single player stuff. And rpgs. Still occasionally mp but it's not my main squeeze these days. Anyway, i've done a bit looking into the game again since the E3 reveal and i'm probably picking it up. (along side DMC 5 and metro exodus.) That being said I have some questions that would really help me commit to getting it should people have answers. So lets get into those.

1) What is the replay factor? I had heard multiple endings and NG+. I really played the hell out of Neir automata and these two mechanics helped with that in that game.

2) Are there other weapons? I know Ninja tools are a big aspect of the combat. I can't imagine any 2 handed weapons/tools coming just due to how the game seems to play.

3) Can someone further elaborate on combat? I know about parrying, posture and the like. I know you can do specific "combo" attacks with your tools (ex throwing star into dash attack.) but is there anything else that is a big portion of combat? Like maybe weapon/ability upgrades? weapon ultimates?

4) I had heard there was some kind of upgrade system but not in the traditional souls way. Do we have any more info on that or is that all we know?

5) I guess final question for now is can anyone direct me to some gameplay that really shows off the combat well? I'm talking like full use of ninja tool combos, areal combat, the special dodges i've heard mentioned a few times etc. Basically I wana see some footage of this games potential when you're in your prime.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.
VIP

Castielle

Webmistress
Webmistress

Masochist

Souls: 4,695.00
Wiki Edits: 45444
1) The replay factor is in the NG+ and different endings from what I can tell. I don't know how different these will be, so at present I would say there isn't a huge replayability to the game.
2) There are not other weapons. There will be a variety of tools that you use to overcome certain obstacles and enemies.
3) Combat is mostly reading your enemies and timing your parries and dodges perfectly and then counter-attacking. There are weapon techniques that you can acquire that do special moves, but I have only seen one, so I don't know how varied there are or how many there are.
4) There is currently not much known about the upgrade system.
5) This is probably the most skilled player I have seen in a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHQq97X9XGI . I think it really showcases some of the potential that can be had from mastering combat.

Cas
Check out our Sekiro Wiki and the awesome Bosses
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Fair enough. Are these weapon techniques comparable to like ESO's weapon ultimates?
and oh I know max! thanks for the reply.

elohim

Souls: 163.00
We don't know about NG+. Marketing will more information when closer to release in 2019.

What I've seen, Fromsoftware is taking changes to souls formula while still creating unique experience.

Heavy and large weapons like greatswords, hammers, greatscythes and dual wielding ones are not confirmed but they could come out as prostetic extension.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

True. I'm kinda torn on the potential of only one weapon. I'm still interested either way.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 373,732.49
Bank: 8,873.71
Wiki Edits: 31206
There's something called Sword Arts that is used much like ESO ultimates (press both bumpers) and seems to refill slowly and perform a very unique action.
Fextralife: Gaming News ⚔️ Sekiro Wiki ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Cool! I like ESO ultimates.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 42.00
Bank: 6,724.00
Wiki Edits: 5
if it's a thirty dollar AA game i think it could be very successful.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Fam this game imho is worth 60$ USD even if the replayability is low.

brakkaf

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,060.50
If you´re into lore and finding everything yourself, for me the other games had around 2-4 singleplayer playthroughs in them. I hope they go overboard with hidden areas and kaathe style stuff where the game plays out differently depending on your actions.
Also even though there´s only the sword, the tool things probably still take some time to get good with, it wont be as much work and as deep as creating new builds but getting good with a single tool/playstlye will most likely take some time. If it´s worth the hassle without pvp is a different question.

This is the only Video i saw where the player seems at least somewhat capable of playing the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHQq97X9XGI
Only the first part up to the chained ogre
I guess if you´re good you could go really fast and all over the place. Could be a lot of fun. Way more modern but with actual skill involved is my guess.

Dont know about the killing animations with a camerazoom on every little enemy though. Seems like if you´re going superfast that would break your rhythm alot. Dont know but that´s one of the things i really loved about bloodborne, that you could go superfast and play yourself into a nice flow/frenzy dancing through enemies and thinking on your toes, and since this game seems even more fluid and fast killing animations feel kind of out of place and slow judging from that perspective. But at least you keep control over the camera´s direction.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Yeah I watched Max's video. Was kinda hoping to see more arieal combat or these special dodges I kept hearing about. Still good footage though.
I'd be fine with only the sword. So long as upgrading your tools and whatever their upgrade system for the character is gives way to some variety in combat i'll be okay.

I don't need pvp or coop tbh. Nier Automata is a game I see similar to this one for various reasons. That game had a lot of replayability for me. So if it's anything like Nier i'm sure i'll have my hands full.