Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

YeOldSoulseBuddy

Souls: 92.00
Ever wondered why Havel wielded a literal dragon tooth? Well, he must have been around since the beginning of the age of Gods, and that makes sense. But what about his armor? As we all know (probably), his armor appears to be, and I quote, carved from solid rock. In fact, his entire theme is stone. So, I connected the dots. He wields the Dragon Tooth, a legendary great hammer. He must have been alive since the age of Dragons, and he must have been a soldier in Gwyn's military. He also wears armor that seems to be carved of stone, and it has low lightning resistance compared to the other stats his set boasts. My conclusion?

Havel was a dragonslayer, much like Ornstein. But Ornstein was esteemed; He was a knight of Gwyn, famous. Havel was a soldier, who, during the age of Dragons, helped Gwyn by serving in his army and striking down the dragons. His armor is carved from the dragon's stone scales, which would explain the low lightning resistance. On top of that, Havel has a burning hatred for Seath, which would be understandable for a soldier who must hate dragons. This is simply a theory, though. So tell me what you think, and let the speculation begin!

P.S. 30 days left until Dark Souls Remastered!

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 44,757.50
Wiki Edits: 116
The Actually Quote From The Armor Says It Is Carved From Solid Rock.

Armor worn by Havel the Rock's warriors. Carved from solid rock, its tremendous weight is matched only by the defense it provides. Havel's warriors never flinched nor retreated from battle. Those unfortunate enough to face them were inevitably beaten to a pulp.

Given How The Path Of Dragon Uses A Stone Imbued With Power To Become Dragons, It Seems Redundant For Havel To Have Done The Same.

Stone imbued with the power of the dragons. Rite of apostles of the ancient dragons. Gain head of dragon. Emit dragon breath. The dragon apostles seek transcendence of life itself, attainable by transformation into an ancient dragon. This rite is only one step, but it cannot be reversed until death

I'm Of The Opinion That Havel's Armor Was Mere A Stone/Boulder That Was Carved Into Armor.

In DS3 We Get Havel's Ring From The Soul Of A Stray Demon, I Find This Significant Because The Soul Also Transforms Into The Pyromancy Boulder Toss. I Find This Significant Because Of The Description Of BOulder Toss Being,

“Art of a stray demon of a stifled flame.
Spews a boulder from one's mouth.
The boulder is heavy, but shatters easily

I Find This Significant Because An Easily Shattered Boulder Could Be Havel's Armor Set Being Chewed And Spit Out At Someone. Further Giving Me The Impression That A lot Of Havel's Knights Might Have Been Eaten By Demons.

I Mention This Because We Know That Havel Wasn't The Only ONe Who Wore The Rock Armor He Had At Least A Troop Of Men Who Did.

This ring was named after Havel the Rock, Lord Gwyn's old battlefield compatriot. Havel's men wore the ring to express faith in their leader and to carry a heavier load.

Now Why I Mention That A Lot Of Havel's Knights Could Have Been Eaten By Demons, Is Because We Know That Gwyn Led His Knights To Fight Demons. I Know The Item Description Only Mentions The Silver Knights Who Became Black Knights, But It Is Still Possible For Havel's Men To Have Also Travelled With Gwyn Since We Know They Fought Together Against The Dragons.

Shield of the Black Knights that wander Lordran. A flowing canal is chiseled deeply into its face. Long ago, the black knights faced the chaos demons, and were charred black, but their shields became highly resistant to fire.

That Is At Lease My Speculation For Now.

Shop Icon

DivineFlask

Souls: 123.00
One thing I now find interesting given the Ringed City DLC is that Havel and his knights may have been as lowly as the pygmy originally. The fact they carved their amour from solid rock suggests Gwyn wasn't willing to provide them with armor as he was with his silver knights. Or it was just a necessity of war I suppose.

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 44,757.50
Wiki Edits: 116
That's Something Of Interest, If Havel's Knights Were So Lowly That They Had To Carve Their Own Armor, Then Havel Must Have Truly Been Impressive To Become Considered A Friend Of Gwyn.

That's As Long As Havel's Legend Isn't Lies Or An Exaggeration.

Shop Icon
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,509.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
There'd have to be a lot of lies to make Havel a "scrub" character.

Most items are spoken of glowingly. His shield is an "heirloom." The tooth is "legendary." The ring is named in his honor. His two miracles explicitly refer to him as a bishop. All that's in addition to dn1nd's points.

I always felt the armor creation was more symbolic of their resolve and their place outside the lords. There's some of the old world of "gray" in Havel and his men. I'd also point out that carving armor out of rock is probably not something that would come about from being "lowly." Leather and wood are hallmarks of "making do." Carving an entire group of soldiers' armor out of rock is something that would take an unheard of amount of time and effort. Especially if you look at the real world practice of creating armor. There's no such thing (or rarely anyway) of taking someone else's suit of armor. It needs to be custom fit.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

JohnnyHarpoon

Revived
Savior

Souls: 263.00
Bank: 17,445.50
Wiki Edits: 22
due to the Lordvessel warp identifying its bonfire as "Stone Dragon," i think the theory that Havel's armor is made from dragons makes sense.
"We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future."