Discuss Capcom's Monster Hunter World
Visit the Monster Hunter World Wiki

FextraBot

Town Crier
Souls: 0.00
These are cross-posted comments on a wiki page. You can visit the page here.  Read Wiki Page

What tf EXACTLY does defense do for me in this game, 400 def and I get one-shot or halved way too easily.
I have 550 and nothing does damg to me
At 450 def, very few things can one shot you aside from a few tempered strikes. At 500 def, you won't get one shotted in this game.

Oxeye

Souls: 1,550.00
Wiki Edits: 289
I have added calculation information to this page. Keep in mind that numbers are reached through community testing and extrapolation from previous titles.
Little side note, elemental resistance might play a role in how much damage you take defense wise, after reducing my defense in favor of elemental resistance, I took pretty much the same amount of damage, so defense appears to be increased meekly and affected in some way by elemental resistance, so defense is important but is weakened if you don't have enough elemental resistance, it might not even play a role unless it's at 10 or 20 to boot, but that's just me and my experiments, anybody else have some other crazy idea about defense and elemental resistance?
My hypotheses is that Elemental Resistance gives percentile resistances against their respective damage types, while Defence gives flat damage reduction. High defence but low fire res gets me one-shotted during AT Lunastra/Teostra. Medium defence but vairly high fire res (15+) lets me survive one of their ults.