Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!
1 

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am
Souls: 1,851.00
Posts: 263
Reputation: 4
#1
Just to save you a lot of searching, "git güd" isn't advice, it's an insult. A point down, "You suck noob, and we're not going to define what it takes to be 'Gud' at this game." I'm not one of those guys, so here's what you need to learn, starting at Character Generation.

FAQ: "What's the best starting class?"

Any of them. There is no useless class, don't let the Soulsbros tell you otherwise. Knight, Pyromancer, and Warrior make it Easier, but here's the actual answer:

You don't want easier, this isn't that game. Getting good first means learning how to Roll Dodge, instead of holding Block, and Spamming attacks until you run out of Stamina. Practice on the Beefgate Boss, that's what he's there for. So, that's step-1: Learn to dodge, that is your defense. With that in mind, until you get to Firelink Shrine, the best starting class is Deprived, because it doesn't give you a choice. Learn to dodge, or die. Over and over again until you do.

FAQ "What's the best starting weapon?"

Mace. Hands down, the Raw Mace does 2 less AR than the Raw Broadsword +2. Also, it uses the Strength Stat, which means you can 2H it for more Strength Scaling (If you don't Raw Infuse it) Also, it has the best Weapon Art, Perseverance which will hold both hands until you learn the Hyperarmor Frames. (Poise doesn't work unless you have it Timed right, this is a Poise Trainer.)

FAQ "What's the best starting Shield?"

The Rapier. Seriously, while all the 1337 Soulsbros were bitching that Poise didn't work they way They intended? I was learning to Parry with a Rapier. What? Well, that's the first thing I learned you could Parry with, other than a Shield, because I didn't have a quick thrust on the Broadsword. (Long before the Raw infusion patch that made the Mace Ungodly until you get to the Undead Settlement.) So, the real answer is pick up everything, and play around with it, in either hand until you get good with it, or realize why it's not going to work that way. You have to get to the Profaned Capital, or the Grand Archives to find the only 1 completely useless (Unless you build your whole character around their 1 niche) weapons, and they're both technically daggers.

Other than that, find out the best weapon for you, but the Caestus is the worst weapon to learn to parry with, because it holds your hand, and is the most forgiving one in the game. You don't want anything to hold your hand, until you learn the mechanic, so learn to parry with the Rapier, Main Gauche (AKA Mailbreaker, but the only one of those in the game is called a Morion Blade. A lot got lost in translation. The Luscerne Hammer is a Bec du Corbin, too.) I prefer the Rapier, because it's got the best Poke until you get past Vordt.

You will not learn how to play DS3 in the the Wikis, or on Reddit. You will learn it on the High Wall of Lothric, or die trying until you do. That's what Get Good means: Learn to Dodge, learn how far your Reach is, learn when to Roll, and when to Attack, then find everything you need to finalize your build. And finally, don't button mash. Never button mash, you'll be locked into a stack of spam until you die, or run out of spamina, then die. Don't do it, learn what to do when, but you won't even be able to do that if you've already got 5 Attacks piled up from spamming them.

If you don't know how to play it, no build will save your life. (Also, Blocking really doesn't work. As a tactic, yeah you can do it, but even with Great Magic Shield it's a waste of time, and without 100% Stability, it's also a waste of Stamina. Shields don't win fights, weapons do. At least in this game.) That's the game, working as intended, you'll get used to it eventually.
Skilled>Build

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am
Souls: 1,851.00
Posts: 263
Reputation: 4
#2
FAQ: "How do I get good at PvP?"

Once you have a decent starter build (Honestly, Raw Rapier, and Mace, or Lothric Knight Sword. Depending on your stats.) go to the highest throne in Firelink Shrine, and talk to the guy leaning up against the pedestal. Middle Finger Leonhard (Seriously, he's a total ****. nlm, that's what "Longfinger" means.) Go back to the High Wall, Ember if you have to, use those Cracked Red Eye Orbs, and die, 5 times. You learn from Dying, and paying attention to what kills you. Try, die, try again, only with what you learned from your mistakes.

After that, progress through the game to the Cathedral of the Deep, grab one of the 2 Pale Tongues, (One outside, and the other behind a Giant.) then go back to Leonhard. Spend all of your souls, fight the Darkwraith until you win, then return to the Cathedral, Embered, and use that Red Eye orb until you Win.

Here's some more pointers that give you some idea what "Good" means in PvP:

Whatever everyone else is doing? Don't do that. Everyone knows that, so the Good players know the timing, when to Dodge, when to Parry, when and where to Attack. That's it, that's PvP in this game: 1) Find 2 weapons you feel comfortable with, 2) Learn the Spacing and Timing of your opponents until you can predict them, and 3) Punish them for it.

If you have a build nobody else has ever seen before, they don't know how to beat it. So, change it up. Every fight, every Invasion, mix and match until you find out what YOU are good with, because everyone else knows what everyone else is good with.

Another good tip is find the Mob, NPC, or Boss that uses that weapon, and learn the timing from them. The perfect example: The Farron Greatsword. Once you do the Gank that is the Watchdog of Farron moshpit, and then learn the timing on the Blood of the Wolf's moveset, you shouldn't have any problem rolling the 1 attack (The left attack, it's a pertty good Rollcatch, and that's about it) they seem to know how to spam.

Which reminds me, learn to Rollcatch. Here's where you finally want to fire up Youtube, and see if they have any PvP videos for your particular weapons. The Mace? Yeah, it can rollcatch. You have to chase them, but once you know the timing, as soon as they come out of Invulnerability frames, your mace is already coming down, with Hyperarmor, to mash them flat. If they Panic Roll (Remember not to Spam anything? Yeah, that includes Roll Dodge) you can do it again, and again, until they stop rolling, run out of Health, or you run out of Stamina. (Also, buy the Warpick ASAP. Trust me on this, once you learn the Timing, Galvanize>Perseverance.)

Don't spam parry. This is SUICIDE in PvP. As soon as someone sees that, they have a selection of ways to destroy you. From Unparriable Attacks (Mostly 2Handed Heavy Weapons like Ultra Greatswords, Great Axes, and Great Maces) To reverse-backstep pivot backstabs with a spicy ravioli, because they can. You don't need ANY of that, once you learn how to move, spacing, and timing. Honestly, the rest of them (Including Parry) is a gimmick, but you'll learn what can be parried when, in the game.

Or die until you do, that's the only way to Get Good.
Skilled>Build

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am
Souls: 1,851.00
Posts: 263
Reputation: 4
#3
FAQ: "How do I beat the Meta?/What is the best Meta Build?"

Don't. Don't go there, there's too many Soulsbros already there, and all you'll learn from them is bad habits with delusions of "Honor." All the skills you just spent half the game aquiring will be dulled by pretending this is For Honor, don't do it. Everything from how to Bow, and give them a chance to triple buff to how to be Triggered by someone using an Estus Flask. Clear the map, kill Aldritch, go on with your game, and don't look back. This is why the Aldritch Faithful suck: They don't fight anything but Meta Soulsbros. If you happen to be around Upper Irythil, and see someone Bowing, or drinking all their Estus to make it a Fair Fight, punish them for it. Kill them, and then Point Down to show them what Get Good means:

The afterlife isn't fair. Get used to it.
Last edited by Psiberzerker on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skilled>Build
VIP
Avatar

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:42 am
Souls: 45,471.50
Posts: 6960
Reputation: 700
Wiki Edits: 565
#4
A long, long time ago, the go-to advice was to disregard all guides and walkthroughs, and simply play the game blind. There were no guides, walkthroughs, or even wikis back then; That's how we all started, and that's how we all learned to love it. The idea was, that was simply the way the game was meant to be played. After you played it on your own a few times, you'd look around on the internet for any nifty secrets you might've missed, find out about (and **** about) world tendency, locate the hidden spell merchants or blacksmith you didn't get the first time around, that sort of thing. Generally speaking, the existence of NG+ and no effective level cap made any early mistakes irrelevant in the long run, and even then making a new character was easier than beating the game once more.

Things changed a bit when people got the idea to stick with one level range instead of just leveling endlessly, which made the multiplayer explode and actually feel lively instead of like a ghost town. And with a standardized level came character builds, followed by the best builds, followed by a competitive scene, followed by elitism. Ironically, it's generally the scrubs who tend to be the elitist and exclusionary ones, but that's another topic entirely.

So, that's the environment Dark Souls 1 opened on, when Fromsoft decided to make a multiplatform version of Demon's Souls. Then they ported it to PC, and that's when "git gud" really became popular.

Anyways, the short version: "git gud" is a... corruption, so to speak, of the original "play it blind and come back when you're done" advice. The latter was given as an honest idea of it being the best way to enjoy the game, and the people so told were fully expected to return with their own playthrough stories to share, and a willingness to engage in multiplayer themselves. The former is only ever used to tell people to **** off, with nobody wanting you to return unless you're "the best of the best" in their opinion.

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am
Souls: 1,851.00
Posts: 263
Reputation: 4
#5
TSMP wrote:So, that's the environment Dark Souls 1 opened on, when Fromsoft decided to make a multiplatform version of Demon's Souls.

Yes, but this is about Dark Souls 3. Not Demon Souls, not Darksouls, nor Bloodborne, this game. With this Estus Flask (And undead Hunter Charms.) The one that didn't come with a Safe Place for Duelers at the end of the DLC, where they don't have to relearn how to counter the 1 Healing Mechanic that was always there. Before we had Password Summons, that's exactly what I'm saying: Learn to play the game, this game, in the game. Regardless of Platform (I'm on PC, I don't even own a console, and the last one was a PS2 to play Silent Line: Armored Core on.)

Anyways, the short version: "git gud" is a... corruption, so to speak, of the original "play it blind and come back when you're done" advice. The latter was given as an honest idea of it being the best way to enjoy the game, and the people so told were fully expected to return with their own playthrough stories to share, and a willingness to engage in multiplayer themselves. The former is only ever used to tell people to **** off, with nobody wanting you to return unless you're "the best of the best" in their opinion.


Right, that's "Git Gud," as opposed to how to Get Good at this game. For the ones who've been around since Demon Souls, that means learning how this one is different from every previous incarnation, it's part of the Lore. (You know, the cycle of Rebirth, linking of the Fire, and how the new Firelink Shrine isn't the old Firelink Shrine? Yeah, because this isn't Dark Souls.)

Unfortunately, the Soulsbros ruined it for everyone, including me for over a year, because they insisted that Poise didn't work, instead of learning the new mechanic. You want 3 threads, in 3 different forums, including this one? Because I can get those links for you. I'm sorry, if this is antagonistic, and condescending, but you know what else is?

"Git Gud."

{\|/ Points \|/ Down.}
Skilled>Build
VIP
Avatar

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:42 am
Souls: 45,471.50
Posts: 6960
Reputation: 700
Wiki Edits: 565
#6
The correct response to condescension is not more condescension. To be honest, this entire FAQ is nigh-indistinguishable from any of the "git gud" posts you claim to hate. It comes from the same premise, offers much of the same advice, has the same intent of "educating" the playerbase and "improving" them with "knowledge", and ultimately reaches the same conclusion: that the problem lies with the player rather than the community, even while you recognize that the community itself has become toxic over time.

I can tell you about the many, many times people insisted some core mechanic was bugged or intentionally disabled in previous games, only to find out a year later that they were just doing it wrong. Is that all it took to make you into one of them? It's actually not healthy to be as invested in any one game (or series) to the extent we are, and you can't reasonably expect the average person to do more than believe what they're told. The best you can do, and indeed the only thing it's right to do, is gently correct them when they're wrong, or to produce helpful threads that explain major mechanics that don't also call them idiots every two or three sentences. Any helpful information you could give remains precisely as helpful once it's separated from the utterly useless and counterproductive condescension you packaged it with, and people would be more willing to listen, to boot.

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am
Souls: 1,851.00
Posts: 263
Reputation: 4
#7
TSMP wrote:To be honest, this entire FAQ is nigh-indistinguishable from any of the "git gud" posts you claim to hate. It comes from the same premise, offers much of the same advice, has the same intent of "educating" the playerbase and "improving" them with "knowledge", and ultimately reaches the same conclusion: that the problem lies with the player rather than the community, even while you recognize that the community itself has become toxic over time.


Yes, exactly the intent. Which is why the title of the FAQ was, and I quote: "What 'GG' Means." For new players from the Holiday Sales Rush, that may not have found it out already on their own. Because it doesn't say that (Or Honor for that matter) anywhere in the game, and they come here -to Fextralife- for answers.

Also, parody.
Last edited by Psiberzerker on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skilled>Build
VIP
Avatar

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:42 am
Souls: 45,471.50
Posts: 6960
Reputation: 700
Wiki Edits: 565
#8
... It's like you aren't even reading what you're saying. Or understanding what I'm saying.

Maybe tomorrow, you'll look back on this and cringe. But right now, I don't think anything I say can get through to you.

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am
Souls: 1,851.00
Posts: 263
Reputation: 4
#10
TSMP wrote:... It's like you aren't even reading what you're saying. Or understanding what I'm saying.


Or, it's like you don't understand what I'm saying, and therefore think somehow that translates to me not reading what I wrote to myself? That's not how logic works. I know what I'm saying. What you're saying? I'm not going to hazard a guess. The assumption is that it's soley my problem, just like nobody ever Lags in Dark Souls, it's always the other guy's connection. (Because you can't see your lag from your side of the connection. See how that works?)

TSMP wrote:
Psiberzerker wrote:Also, parody.

No, no. Don't give me that horseshit. You know better than that.


I know what I know. Stop trying to tell me what I know, and don't know. If anyone knows that, it's probably me, the one who knows it.

Look up Logic. You know how Wikis work? Yeah, there's this other one out there. Find it, and look up how Logic works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
Skilled>Build