Discuss Team Ninja's action rpg Nioh
Wiki: Visit the Nioh Wiki
Visit the Nioh 2 Wiki

JohnnyJonJohn

Souls: 70.00
Hello Everyone,

I have just started NIOH and I'm really enjoying it but I'm a bit frustrated. I would like to play a "fast" axe build. This would be someone who could do big damage but also be able to move. Right now I am level 44 (Still in the first region and having fun grinding); I have a purple Bandit Axe that has a "high damage" special ability so it does great damage and I'm wearing the a full purple Legendary Strategist's Armor set. The set is light enough that I have an "A" agility.

Here's where I need help:
Is there a way to have huge damage without the corresponding heavy armor?
Is there such a thing as a "fast" axe?
I love hit and dodge tactics but is this concept just not supported by the game mechanic?
I'm sure I'm not using my skills properly: I have 35 unused skill points in samurai. What do you suggest? It seems nothing is available to meet this early game
My stats may not be optimal:
9 Spirit & Magic (For spirit bonus: Kato - close combat & Ki Recovery) & 9 Magic (I want the Sloth tree)
30 Strength (Axe)
10 (Body, Heart & Stamina).

I'll take any advice!! Thank you from a hardworking noob.

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 1,100.00
Bank: 75,467.50
Wiki Edits: 14560
has a "high damage" special ability

Do you mean "High Attack Damage"? That ability can only increase damage in High Stance.
Is there a way to have huge damage without the corresponding heavy armor?

The damage bonuses available on armor that are "axe specific" are close to trivial.

There're all kinds of ways that armor can increase your damage, but your weapon usually doesn't have much to do with it:

https://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Set+Bonuses
Is there such a thing as a "fast" axe?

Using an axe in Low Stance makes it almost as fast as any other weapon.
I love hit and dodge tactics but is this concept just not supported by the game mechanic?

Your dodges have invincibility frames, but usually it's more efficient to just have an enemy swing and miss while you circle him.
I'm sure I'm not using my skills properly: I have 35 unused skill points in samurai. What do you suggest? It seems nothing is available to meet this early game.

Check out this build I made for the axe: https://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Rakuyo's+Axe+Build
My stats may not be optimal:
9 Spirit & Magic (For spirit bonus: Kato - close combat & Ki Recovery) & 9 Magic (I want the Sloth tree)
30 Strength (Axe)
10 (Body, Heart & Stamina).

That is suboptimal in my opinion.

Strength isn't that useful a stat, unless you scale it all the way up + Change to Attack (Strength) for damage.
You're better of distributing your stats evenly across those that are required for various armor sets.
Light armor requires Body and Skill.
Medium Armor requires Body and Strength.
Heavy Armor requires Strength and Stamina.
If you don't meet these requirements, the attributes on those pieces will not activate.
I personally invested heavily in Magic for my first playthrough, and I've got a guide for that too:
https://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Rakuyo's+Onmyo+Magic+Build
Shop IconShop Icon
Thank you Rakuyo!

This is really helpful. I didn't realize "high attack damage" meant stance and not bonus. I'm reviewing your builds now... I think there's a lot I can borrow there.

I was curious about your comment on stats... I thought that my strength stat tied directly to my damage with my axe. My axe does have the Change attack to Strength trait.
I didn't realize the armor was tied to attributes I'll look at that.

Thank you!