Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

bukharajones

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,396.00
Wiki Edits: 9
I'm just not sure if this game was truly "finished" until the last patch... I've had a ton of fun in pve and pvp lately since I've ignored what I thought I knew when the game launched....
I've even got 27 ears without farming in less than 50 hours and hadn't even tried to make that my main deal.

When they nerfed the Fume, it got endless grief and continues to get shat on to this day, but it's an amazing weapon for pvp invasions and I just killed Midir yesterday on NG+ and it seemed just fine.

He had 1/5 of his health bar left, I hit him three times and it went through the dark burst animation to the critical and it finished him off immediately like a health bar was nothing...

You can use it as a good enough shield, and since you have mad armor on, you shouldn't be hurt too much, and when they screw up, just smack smack smack.

Manage the stamina, though.

Anyway, it's a great weapon good for everything but dueling and doesn't deserve as much smack as it has received over the past two years.

The only thing I regret is not taking out Gael with it on NG+ - I used the heavy greatsword for that - but I would have had an easy time of it with the one hand move set, I think...

But I'm not quite sharp enough to do the third phase with that vertical slam and always missed the rolling stab...

I totally love my fume ultra great sword.

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,191.50
The Fume was only nerfed from "op as hell" to "on par with other great weapons".

It's my favorite weapon, played through multiple times using almost nothing but the FUGS.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 22,952.50
Wiki Edits: 21
@bukharajones
you should give Ledo's Greattoy a go if you like big toys. It does not have the stupid reach of the fume but is also very very satisfying to use (preparing a video to showcase a build).
those big ultras make the end game so much easier (those innocent little ringed knights get butchered by the hammer it is almost too easy lol)
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!

bukharajones

Addicted
First Warden

Perhaps. I just second tried the nameless king on ng+ with it all by my lonesome... an ugly fight because I had just got to him after a break but still knew it well enough to put him down.

I'm sort of just basking in the awesomeness of the fume.

I killed friede ng+ with the Greatsword proper... that was awesome.

bukharajones

Addicted
First Warden

Now nailed the Soul of Cinder with it. Wasn't even close. Damn I love getting better. :D

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,191.50
The Fume has such a nice moveset as well. Roll attack thrust, slams, wide attacks, acts as a shield in a pinch.

bukharajones

Addicted
First Warden

This thing wrecked and is an ng+ dream Weapon...

bukharajones

Addicted
First Warden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4oOfYtJwvY

I'm pretty pleased with this fight. I know I ran out of estus by the end, but since I hadn't fought him this week, I had to be painfully reminded of the moveset.

It's quite an improvement from my first solo with the lothric knight shield.

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,851.00
Yeah it is! There's other similar weapons in the game, but here's what I find makes it special:

Strike Damage. All the other ones with this Moveset are Slash. (It has a Slash with the sharpened end) So, it hits like a Greathammer. It also has Greathammer Poise, so it Guardbreaks like nobody's business. (Also, the massive weight is offset by not needing as much Armor Poise.)

Halfwaydecentshield. It's not a Greatshield, but you don't need that Black Knight Shield. (Did I mention Weight?) So, you can 2H it, which is nice, because it's a Strength Weapon. (I think it's like 12 more AR you get from 10 Dex to 40)

It's not Infusable (Doesn't really have to be) but it can be Buffed. So, I like to slap it with Blessed Weapon, because it only need 15 Faith, and it scales with AR. Basically anything over 500 (Physical) is worth it, because it's not Split damage. However if you want to invest in Faith up to 40 (Not with much Armor at 120-125) and 14 Attunement, you can have 2 Buff spells. (Lightning Blade if there's Water, DMB if not, I re-attune my spellbook at the Bonfire before I Ember/Redeye)

"Stomp and Thwomp" I use this with all 4 Vertical/Stomp UGS (Greatsword UGS, Black, and Cathedral Knight's.) This surprises some players either Backstab Fishing, or in Turn and Burns. Instead of Power Attacking, for the "Splatula" don't turn. A regular attack swings back, and "THWOMP!" Smashes whoever's behind you. Stomp skips the first downward attack, so if you get good with the timing, you can get 2 players trying to Tank&Spank you. With Poise! So you'll win that trade, for 1 hit, almost regardless of what you're wearing. Only really works in PvP because the Players don't expect it. (And backstab Fish as soon as they see an Ultra if they're a Critical build)

And finally, it's fun. Great Reach, nigh-on irresistible if you know when to use Stomp (Not against the Astora UGS, you don't know if they have the Leo Ring.) and stikes genuine fear in the hearts of anyone who's seen what it can do in the wrong hands.
Skilled>Build