Anything without a home!

Walaboo_

Souls: 68.00
I think I should stop playing souls games. Or any souls-likes for that matter. Because every time I do, I always hear about how this one boss that was extremely difficult in the community (Twin Princes in III, Ebrietas in Bloodborne) And when I get to the area that they're in, & get closer & closer to facing off against them, I begin to legitimately feel unwell. I begin feeling a weight on my back that a person gets when they get stressed. And I don't know what to do about it. Whats worse is that it persists even when I beaten a game. I'm replaying Bloodborne right now & I'm incapable of stepping into Yahar'gul because I'm anxious about facing off against the One Reborn & the possibility of losing to it & being unable to progress. Despite the fact that a large amount of people regard it as an easy boss, AND the fact that I've beaten it on a playthrough where I had no clue what I was doing or how to make a functioning build. It feels really good to get that off my chest, has anybody else been experiencing this? Have you figured out a solution? I would really like to know. Thank you!

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,184.50
Hey, I get stuck on bosses myself, and barely complete any Souls games solo. I've been around since the later days of DkS1, too.

It happens to everyone. Take a break, play something else. Or read a book, watch a show, something. That's what helps me the most.

I'm currently playing through Horizon Zero Dawn and I find myself dreading going into the main story quests, mostly because fighting giant death robots that fire missiles and bullets, armed only with a bow and spear stresses me out. Even the minor robots like Sawtooth and Long legs get to me.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 119.00
Bank: 5,627.00
Wiki Edits: 5
is this running theme in non souls game activities? it could be a symptom of a broader anxiety.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 304,011.49
Bank: 8,113.71
Wiki Edits: 23592
It doesn't sound like you are enjoying yourself or having fun, so I recommend you don't play them anymore. You can watch other people play, and play yourself other more relaxing titles that you might enjoy more :)
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 45,569.50
Wiki Edits: 565
Alternative solution, stop reading up about things. Disregard other opinions, develop your own opinions. It's good to be courteous when in public, but what other people think should not impact your private life to this degree. There's a trick to stress, though: technically speaking, the "fear response" and the "courage response" are identical to each other. Literally identical, as in they're actually the same thing. Stress is crippling if, and only if, you hold it back and don't let it do things like it wants to. Stress and fear prime your body to act, react, and focus faster and better than you could without it. Part of why I know as much as I do about so much is because I abuse the hell out of that system; you memorize things better when under stress, you can recall faster (if you let it run on autopilot), all that stuff. You hear about too much stress causing heart attacks in people, but that only happens if you let it build up without venting it. That's part of why "super modes" are so popular in video games, because they mimic (and exaggerate) something our bodies do naturally. The best form of stress relief is to kick something's *** with stress.

But aside from that, Souls games are the sort where everything is easy once you learn the tricks to it. Boss X attacks like this and that, but leaves itself open during so-and-so or such-and-such. Boss Y is strong at range, but can't do much if you get up close. Boss Z is nigh-immune to magic but dies horribly to fire. Learn the drill, know the drill, use the drill.

Walaboo_

Souls: 68.00
Okay, I've done a lot of thinking. And I don't think it's restricted to just Souls. I think the issue is that I need to somehow validate myself as a 'good gamer' in my own eyes & feeling like a part of the community. Whenever I boot up Overwatch I always feel nervous. Because I'm afraid that if I lose multiple games in one session, that I'm no longer good at Overwatch & don't feel like I belong in the community because I'm not even good at the thing I like. Same with Souls. If I can't beat a boss, I feel like I'm no longer a good souls player, & that I shouldn't be a part of the souls community. Thank you all for reading my post. It feels amazing to get this out there & talk to people about this.

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,184.50
Well for what it matters, not many of us here are able to run those crazy SL1/BL4 no dodging no death club only no armor runs.

Define "good" for yourself, don't let someone else define good for you.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 304,011.49
Bank: 8,113.71
Wiki Edits: 23592
I've never understood the obsession with being a "pro" at videogames :P

I enjoy a challenge, to myself, but the real objective of gaming is to have fun and if you're stressed out and feeling competitive then you're not having fun. There are many games that are more relaxed and aren't fueling competition. ESO PVE is really great for this, as are things like Skyrim, Witcher, Fallout, etc. You can even play action games like Nier: Automata that don' revolve around a "git gud" mentality.
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Sidney_Losstarot

Souls: 19,703.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 2140
In my opinion, if you can beat any Souls game you can define yourself as a good player.....the Souls games are some of the hardest videogames ever created, so, if you are able to complete any of them you should be proud....
Anyway, the feeling you are describing is the same feeling that i have every time i DO not play a Souls Game for a long time and i decide to pick it up again.....
I have this feeling when i think "ok, i'll star a new run and i know for sure that this boss will kick my a** or I know that in a few minutes i'll be invaded by an over leveled player....."
BUT, despite these things, i keep playing until i beat the game again and again.....
Recently i've started a new run in Bloodborne but, sadly, i got bored soon.....so now i'm playing the Star Ocean Saga on PS4 (Sotet and TLH) and i can assure you that that feeling is still present because i know for sure that some Boss or some area in the game will drive me crazy and i'll have to grind a lot before having the chance to succed
I think that this feelings are normal in a videogamer's life playing difficult titles.....
If you don't want to feel like this than you should evaluate to play different types of games.....
When i want to relax, for example, i play Plant vs Zombies 2 on my mobile phone :00011:

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 45,569.50
Wiki Edits: 565
Walaboo_ wrote:Okay, I've done a lot of thinking. And I don't think it's restricted to just Souls. I think the issue is that I need to somehow validate myself as a 'good gamer' in my own eyes & feeling like a part of the community. Whenever I boot up Overwatch I always feel nervous. Because I'm afraid that if I lose multiple games in one session, that I'm no longer good at Overwatch & don't feel like I belong in the community because I'm not even good at the thing I like. Same with Souls. If I can't beat a boss, I feel like I'm no longer a good souls player, & that I shouldn't be a part of the souls community. Thank you all for reading my post. It feels amazing to get this out there & talk to people about this.

If it helps, I'm actually not that great at these games, which is something I freely admit if the question comes up. I play Souls games because I enjoy them, and I post here because I like the people here. And sometimes I make threads explaining some obscure mechanic people were confused over, because I take notes while playing and will usually figure it out by trial-and-error somewhere along the way.

IMO, video games aren't real and aren't worth getting worked up over. Consider it like this: if you were to throw away every single game system you own, right now, nothing in your life would change. Except that you aren't sitting around as much, that is. That's how I see it, at least.