Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

PyroMage

Souls: 115.00
I'm far from an expert but I've played through most of the main game, defeating all bosses apart from two so far I think. Also beat all bosses in DS1 (inc DLC) and Bloodborne (not the DLC). The most I've taken to beat any boss up to now is maybe 100 attempts.

But Sister Friede is different. It's probably about two months now since I first encountered her. Beating her has now kind of become an obsession. I will not perform any other action in a video game until I've defeated her.

But it seems impossible. The best bosses should of course seem impossible on the first couple of tries, but I'm starting to think this one may actually be, at least for my skill level.

Phase 1 and 2 are annoying, but I've got them down. I still die there when I make mistakes, but I can get to Blackflame Friede with reasonable regularity. It's just annoying to have to get past those two phases. Every. Single. Time..!

But Blackflame just destroys me. I'm thinking I may have spread my points too thinly. I tend to over-level, so already at 100+. Playing as a mage, only using GH soul arrow and Moonlight Greatsword against Friede. I have 40-something Intelligence, enough Vigor to give me around 1000 HP (one or two rings helping there), some strength, some dexterity. Sword doing about 300 damage per hit. Soul arrows slightly less I think. Stats high enough to use a very high stability shield - can't remember which one but stability is 80+.

I keep switching between trying ranged and melee. For a while I think ranged is best - keep an eye on her attacks from a distance. But then I'll fire off an arrow (which she often dodges) using most of my stamina, she'll sweep across the room and start attacking, I block, the attacks keep coming, there goes my stamina, I'm dead.

Melee uses less stamina, but again, in close, the attacks just keep coming. And less time to react and dodge.

Sometimes I get a few hits in. Then I glance at her health and it's hardly dropped! I can't keep this up! Then I'm dead. I may have got her down to about 70%. Maybe once.

I've read up on strategies. They're not working for me - or I've not got the right equipment. Some say to dodge - I dodge a couple, then she hits me. Some say to keep away from her. See above.

And that neck-slice attack, or whatever it is. If she gets me with that and I have full health, I'm left with a sliver. She just has to get in one more hit before I manage to drink, which she nearly always does.

This isn't quite how I imagine hell to be, but maybe purgatory...

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 45,569.50
Wiki Edits: 565
A bit heavy on the drama, don't you think?

Raise Vigor to 40 (1,000 HP is not enough, dude), then go watch some Youtube videos of people beating her. Next - and this is the most important step - go do something else for a while. You're stuck in a loop, and obviously doing the same thing over and over again isn't going to net a different result. Come back later, try something new, etc. Maybe change your build around entirely.

There's no magic answer, you're just stressed and making mistakes.

Achtpuntzes

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 9,768.01
u should dodge instead of block. i never used a sheild at Friede.
sl59 faith guy +8
sl42 luck guy +6
sl38 dex guy +5
sl20 +3
sl1 +2
no meta build

PyroMage

Souls: 115.00
Thanks both for the advice. I know I was being overly dramatic - but the game can do that to you!

I tend to block Blackfame when she launches into her slash/spin attacks that go on forever. I guess you're saying keep dodging these instead, which presumably takes two or three rolls, backwards?

Yeah maybe 1000hp is not enough. Sounds like a respec may be in order...

Rangrok

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,968.00
Yeah it's better to roll backwards than to block Friede's combos. Furthermore, if you get the timing down, this combo can become her weakness. When she does a little jump at the end of her combo, roll into her and you can get a backstab. The timing can be a bit tricky to get down, so sometimes it may be best to just go for the two hit combo.

The second opening I look for is when she engulf's her melee attacks with black flame. In general I find she leaves herself open when she uses these black flame melee attacks. Be careful because sometimes she does a two-hit black flame combo, and sometimes she does just one. However, I don't think she ever does more than two black flame hits, and she stands still for a little while after the second hit. These combos usually start when she tries to pull you in with her scythe, with the black flame strie as a follow-up.

The third opening is during her charging grab attack. She'll sorta coil her body and you'll see/hear a glint on her scythe before charges towards you. Roll through it, and she leaves herself open for a two-hit combo.

Speedrunners also go for the backstab basically whenever she does a giant jump. I find this strategy very risky, but it's possible.

Finally, and I hesitate to bring this up, but you can cheese the fight with Astora's Greatsword's weapon art. It tanks through her hits and, if you extend it with a strong attack, you'll knock her off her feet, and you can follow it up with a charged strong attack which knocks her off her feet.

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 2,209.00
Don't forget Gael's summon sign is always left of the stairs leading to the boss, even without ember.
https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

Seravian

Souls: 77.00
I feel you, Friede's Blackflame phase is one **** of a fight.

The best advice I have, personally, would be to step back, take a breath, put the game down or do other things in the game for a bit, then try again.

Like the guy before me mentioned, summoning Gael is pretty helpful. I found him to be a decent distraction for her, to get some backstabs in.

Also, Carthus Bloodring can be helpful for rolling if you are having trouble avoiding her combos.

Worked for me anyway.

penniwise

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 618.00
I actually really like this fight, not sure why. But just like pretty much all fights in BB and DS3, rolling/dodging/timing will do it. Random straight sword, then one, maybe 2 hits with lightning buff (phase 3) then dodge/roll or backup depending on situation. I've never used a shield in this fight, well I've never used a shield in any fight really.

take a break, come back with a set number of embers to use till your next break (10 maybe). summon gael for distraction in phase 3 and work on timing. soon you will be farming her for metals, its still a really active area

IgnusKnavery

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,552.00
PyroMage wrote:Thanks both for the advice. I know I was being overly dramatic - but the game can do that to you!

I tend to block Blackfame when she launches into her slash/spin attacks that go on forever. I guess you're saying keep dodging these instead, which presumably takes two or three rolls, backwards?

Yeah maybe 1000hp is not enough. Sounds like a respec may be in order...

No it IS in order. If you tell us your level, class, and what your focused on, we can help you with your build. It sounds like magic though. And yes, spreading your points too thin will completely ruin the experience. It'll make it very difficult to make progress.
“I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 24,184.50
Wiki Edits: 29
Achtpuntzes wrote:u should dodge instead of block. i never used a sheild at Friede.

I would say it is always the case tbh

I know that I had a hard time with my sorcery build against her back in the days and I ended up passing her using only my good old bandit knife and carthus rouge...as a mage...because bleed is the answer to everything in DkS3 PvE (apart from a few exceptional bosses.

TSMP is right: do something else though. then come back to it with a new perspective.
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!