The place to discuss Dark Souls II

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Casual
Convict

Souls: 548.00
I'm working on the tail end of my first dark souls 3 playthrough I might do the ng+ run now or might wait not sure yet.... but I do wish to FINISH dark souls 2 at some point.

But I'm wondering I've had mixed responses to magic in this game... some points it helps and other it ends up being more of a pain than it helps.... is a pure melee build reliable? Like pure str/dex? at least enough dex to power stance some of the bigger weapons...
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 43,687.50
Wiki Edits: 561
Of course pure melee is reliable. Just make sure to keep multiple weapons upgraded during a playthrough, because they will break. Strike damage weapons like the Mace or Great Club will be more effective against the many armored enemies you'll find.

If you want the easiest easy mode, I'd suggest going Int+Fth hexer and getting really familiar with Felkin. Dark Orb from the Sunset Staff pretty much mows everything down, especially when you have 120 or so casts from multiple stacks of the spell. There are at least three other merchants with hexes for sale, so if you're keeping up on your shopping you'll have to worry about your staff breaking long before your spells run out.

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Casual
Convict

Yeah I just I dunno cause I wanna clear the dlcs too and everything I find says the stuff there has a lot of magic resist... so yeah definitly thinking of lots of melee

Probably the most I'll ever raise dex too (Unless I need more for something else) would be into the 30s to powerstance the Majestic Greatsword when I find it but stre is my planned main damage stat...

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Casual
Convict

Another random interest question mostly so I know if its worth grinding the sun medals for it, the Sun Sword I keep hearing online that its got a good moveset and such, and its a good weapon, would it still be such with a pure melee build since it scales off int/faith? Or would another straight sword be more useful. It doesn't seem to deal split damage just never used it in one of the games before
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 43,687.50
Wiki Edits: 561
The Sunlight Straight Sword does not scale off int/fth, it's pure str/dex unless you infuse it with something else. You're probably thinking of the Fume Knight Sword, which has the same moveset but also has dark damage. Although, contrary to popular belief, the Fume Knight Sword is much more of a Dexterity weapon than a dark weapon. The innate dark damage just makes it really sweet with dark resins, is all.

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Casual
Convict

Ah okay, I must have misread the wiki page, or missed a note somewhere, thanks definitly going to have to look into the sun sword then...which means getting to harvest valley asap...

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Casual
Convict

fifteen sun medals down from last giant, pursuer, dragon rider, old dragonslayer and skeleton lords.... now I'm getting zero summons anywhere should I move on? I'm sitting at a soul memory of about 187000 so I might have leveld out of the average summon range here...

I'm using the white sign soul stone at the moment as its my only big summon item

DestroyingProduction

Souls: 63.00
You should move on.That's pretty high for low level area where you are now.Go to the Iron keep.A lot of people get stuck on a boss there so you should try it.

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Casual
Convict

Thanks managed to get them, but I'm definitly going to do co-op more in the future, its really useful to earn souls....I mean no lord souls period and I've got great stats

Dark_Phantom_Reaper

Casual
Convict

Okay, small question since I'm at the point in the game where I've got a few item find pieces of gear with me, the gold serpent ring +1, jester's hat, travelling merchant hat, prisoners tatters so far

How does item finding work? Best thats been figured out? Cause I read some places that like the ring and jester's hat work against the prisoner's tatters and vice versa so wearing all three actually lowers the stat....and osme places say that they all work together...