Anything without a home!

thegourd

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 531.00
Bank: 6,893.00
Wiki Edits: 1
Nahztek-Shadowpath wrote:I'm more interested in helping you design it than playing due to my schedule.
I have good ideas when I put my mind to something.

I would even be willing to DM alternately for when you are away. I like the idea of DM more than playing for something like this. It definitely fits my writing style more, as inner monologues aren't really my expertise. But describing how characters feel due to environments and afflictions are pretty fun for me.

Let me know how I can help.

That would be wonderful!

As to
eremHaNeoN wrote:
EldritchImagination wrote:You know guys, I suffer the same problem as Shadow does. I leave for a time, or don't come in when others are, and end up 2-4 pages behind. Our times just get out of sync. I think I'm going to stop too.

I end up 2-4 pages behind sometimes mid-game, just me trying to type in my actions or uploading an image or whatever.

Really I think this is an issue that is easily solved. Set a limit on how far the DM and any one player goes while the other players are either absent or still deciding on actions. In the case they are still there but busy figuring out actions to take, throw in a quick post like "still here, typing out my next action kthxbye" (that probably only applies to me though) while other actions that would necessitate the other players knowing what's going on, stop when you've gone too far. If you're doing something that does NOT require the knowledge of other players that it is happening, make that clear somehow and go on until you're done.

Getting a few pages behind should be no big deal. Shadow's problem the other night was being over a dozen pages behind of things happening that were quite loopy to say the least. I think you've been keeping up and contributing to the game at the pace you're at just fine, let's not prematurely pull the plug on the game because one player bowed out for having a lot more things on their plate and having to keep up with, not just a couple pages but with a whole chapter's-length worth of **** going on.

That's all I have, was there a different post?

thegourd

Hollowed
Redeemer

In the event of people joining, I've made the initial cutscene: (music linked)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uPTgDkb5yc
"The Age of Fire has ended.
Darkness reigns supreme, the world corrupted and rotting beneath its foul touch.
Yet there are some who shall never feel its chill."
- unkown

Lightning flashes in the night, winds howling and tugging at your cloak, biting deep into your flesh with teeth of broken glass. You raise an arm, shielding your eyes, alien footsteps shrouded in the shriek of tempestuous gusts. Then, mist rushes in, biting with acidic cold, the stones cracking underfoot, your armor crumbling and flaking away like dust beneath careful brush. From the mire of wind and mist a figure becomes clear, a shadow wrought in the shape of a man, his eyes two coals that blaze with furious light, his fingers wreathed in seething vapor. His lips move, casting light and fog into the gloom; his words lost in the clamor. Then, he is upon you, lightning rippling along his arms, mist curling from his body.

He slashes, throwing your weapon out wide, his fist narrowly missing your heart as you twist aside, feeling its passing pull upon you, deadly force dissipating into the shadows. You are granted not a breath's respite as he surges in, hands blurred into long streaks of pewter and tar that smash against your upraised forearms, battering through your guard.

Your ancient heart races, terror rushing through your veins, and in desperation you throw yourself into that hailstorm of steel and mist, slamming your sword against his neck, watching in horror as it shatters like glass. He does not smile, does not wince, only fixes a dark stare upon you, his eyes boring into yours.

Then the frenetic world turns black, serene , and silent.
And all is calm...
Forevermore

eremHaNeoN

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 3,410.00
Wiki Edits: 41
thegourd wrote:That's all I have, was there a different post?

p15943062/anyone-up-for-a-jjjjolly-text-based-adventure/#p15943062
Through Dark Souls of futures past. The speed runner longs to see. One boosts between a pair of binos. Parry Walk with Me.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

thegourd

Hollowed
Redeemer

Ah, good points all; specifically I do think scenery would help, I've been looking into DnD maps since they tend to be pretty close to what I need; permanent death was going to be amended just a little farther into the campaign... I think dice will help, but I can't necessarily allow players to do that, its easy to cheat; I would use them for certain attack probabilites though, like parrying and such. Additionally, I will start keeping track of poison and bleed (+others), it would have been game changing in many cases. I also like your idea of four estus to be divided as need be, and the starting SL of 70 rather than a starting hp. That should help the game a lot, so thank you for the insight! Hopefully we can rally some more players...

eremHaNeoN

Insomniac
Sinner

Looking for damage calculators, here is one I found on this website: https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/D ... Calculator

Except... how the **** do you even use it?! I don't know how to input anything in there. Time to ask around...
Through Dark Souls of futures past. The speed runner longs to see. One boosts between a pair of binos. Parry Walk with Me.

thegourd

Hollowed
Redeemer

eremHaNeoN wrote:Looking for damage calculators, here is one I found on this website: https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/D ... Calculator

Except... how the **** do you even use it?! I don't know how to input anything in there. Time to ask around...

Looks like you open it with google drive (there's a hyperlink above it) then make a copy

eremHaNeoN

Insomniac
Sinner

I tried that and then... nothing. I couldn't even interact with the document. I don't even know what stats you're supposed to input in that one line at the top. It's very unclear.

Mr_Peer

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,302.50
Wiki Edits: 18
By the way, I'm still interested and I'll make a character ASAP, like around 15-16 o clock tomorrow (GMT+1). I'm thinking of some jolly, bearded alcoholic with a big axe and an even bigger stash of booze.

eremHaNeoN

Insomniac
Sinner

I'm prepping a renewed Gai Ping Anneus, and stats for Tony. Have to leave for a while now though, so... uh, brb!

eremHaNeoN

Insomniac
Sinner

Some suggestions from Shadowpath he posted in the other thread:

Nahztek-Shadowpath wrote:Finally had a chance to read all that.. lol.

I think you covered most things I would add in terms of refining it. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any major improvements that it needs beyond what you mentioned. But I would really like to help with this. I would rather help keep it going and help improve it rather than play it due to my obsessive compulsive psychology.
If further down the line we could get multiple games and multiple DMs, I would surely roll several characters. Easier to get my daily fix that way. And not get stuck in game limbo.

Well here's something. I'm sure the beginning of our quest turned many people away due to all the goofing off. And the fact that it was still in brainstorming stages. Potentially curious people were probably shrugging it off as our own little wanna-be Harmmon's Quest (and I'm fine with that). But to bring in players, there needs to be something they can actually get into and understand.

I mean, how many pages in were we before we even knew what SL we were? And not once did 'thegourd' consider how often I had Affinity on me. He never added it into my damage, or decided when the orbs launched.
and instead of being a nitpicker, I just said screw it and picked up that new miracle (because obviously my Dark wasn't going to get me very far in the game).
I didn't even mention the fact that my damage was split with Dark when he would add my damage. I was like...
Whoa.. what?! Great Soul Dreg did nothing to Gundyr, but my DAGGERS with split Dark damage ripped him up?
Again. I wasn't judging. This was just the gamer in my head. I didn't care at any point becuase we were just messing around.
Then things got crazy. So far behind. Time sequence jumps, red names!, and mimics that turns into players and throws chocolate ninja stars.
And a lot of making up stuff on the fly, which Goblin and myself were just as equally guilty for. But this is what will turn people away, Especially if they have other things that they should probably be doing.

We need rules. Listed on a thread that isn't on the actual game thread. It could also have a thread for character sheets and maybe another for feedback, for discussions just like this.

That's why it would be awesome to have a subforum, but it would an @$$hole move to even ask if all we have is a handful (less) of interested people.

Err, I got more, but got to go for a sec.

Nahztek-Shadowpath wrote:Just adding.
I got some dice today. I needed them anyway down the line and this seemed a good reason to go ahead and get them. Can't remember what thegourd said he was using. But I got a pack with several types.

I can also help with maps, but I do everything on my phone so that's a problem for now. I've been wanting to just get a laptop anyway, so if this can turn into something, I would have an easier time messing with links and pics.

And most importantly. While it needs rules, it would be nice to still implement some craziness. But more in the adventure and less with us just making stuff up. That gives windows for players to interact with the craziness. Yes, I know, erem, it was getting there. Sorry for blowing my brains out all over the wall. Maybe I acted rashly and could have just asked for a pause while we actually figured out what we were doing.
Morning bus rides. Go figure.
(That morning I was too busy trying to look at my phone and I actually got on the wrong bus. It was in front of the one I needed. Realized it of course as soon as it turned.. it only set me back a couple blocks, but enough time to have to wait on my next bus.
Never did that before.. suicide followed)

Nahztek-Shadowpath wrote:How about Phantoms?

That's what was missing. And how you can keep people together for a time or let them branch off and do their own thing if that's what they want to do.

And it can be optional. You have your host character and then you have your Phantom character that can join others in their quest. It's basically a text version of the already implemented online system.
Players could invade too maybe. But must obtain the Red Eye Orb through a covenant.
I think co-op should be open and can be done on the fly. Just not during combat.
It's an idea to play with, and already a big part of DS.

To add to that...

^Speaking of phantoms I had some idea of a "doppelganger" system where you could summon one in specific area (it would be unarmed - essentially a "scout phantom" you control temporarily basically) to run through an area to test out any unseen dangers/instant death traps so everyone can be prepared to dodge through them. I'm guessing this game isn't going to be designed around instant death traps/attacks if perma-death is a mechanic (would like to see what will be further done with that) but if we're also going to stay true to Dark Souls' nature of "SURPRISE, MOTHAF***A!," then, well... a bit out-there a mechanic. If you're just going to DM to make sure we know possible instant death is in the area and not throw a "uh oh you just got ated by the rolling boulder mimic lol" or something then sticking to that is fine too.

Another thing, when there are enemies in the vicinity, more descriptiveness would be good. Something like, I dunno, those enemy cards the Dark Souls board game has (doesn't have to be as detailed in terms of illustration but textually it wouldn't hurt). I fought off some hollow soldiers, or were they just described as hollows? In any case, what were they wearing? In terms of armor, weapons, shields, ...? There were pickaxe hollows, so that's a step up, they carried/attack with pickaxes. Were they wearing any armor or carrying anything else though? Also some random number generator/dice roll for item drops and list of chances of said items dropping is also a good idea. Also a list of different moves and attacks that enemies/bosses can do, if not revealed to us, have them on hand for yourself at least. Bosses based around a mixed array of specific attacks is good - it seemed with Void Gundyr, it was more playing out a cinematic with button prompts than maneuvering around certain attacks until his death. What IS there for Voidtinged Gundyr is cool, but mix his moves up a bit (again maybe using a random number generator/dice roll to decide on what attack[s] he'll do next?) like an actual boss fight would play out.