Discuss Nier as well as the comments posted to our Nier Automata Wiki

FextraBot

Town Crier
Souls: 0.00
These are cross-posted comments on a wiki page. You can visit the page here.  Read Wiki Page

scanning locations I know of:
Forest Castle: Front access point, (just drop down in the direction of the castle)
2S room (bunker)
Resistance camp
Commercial facility: near lift to lunar tear cave
Amusement park behind destroyed stall near clown merch
Pascal's Village on the way to the forrest area
I don't seem to have a 2s room in my bunker
They mean 9s
Found one at the excavated area post goliath battle
Yeah there's one near a dead large machine biped, at the edge of the city ruins center access point.
Another found at the broken overpass by the factory entrance
those scanner spots are dead on, damn someone did a very nice job
Scanner location in the desert cave, go to Desert Camp, enter the desert, stick to the right wall, where you can drop down to the side entrances of the cave, take the upper entrance, keep following the path to the right, past a group of enemies when the camera moves back in standard position, in that hallway use the scanner. (just before an open dead end with a chest)
Found one at the gate between pascal's village and city ruins: tower. Coming from the village it is on the left, interior side.

rebelan

Souls: 50.00
the fast way to get them is in the real chamber where the baby king was living. u take the object and go out doing the same thing when u defeat a2 and teleport again to the real chamber and keep repeting the same process
I feel like it's worth noting to do it on A/B playthroughs, otherwise you get elaborate gadgets
Also I think it's worth noting that I believe "royal" chamber is what was intended. Or whatever, fuk speling.
as of 2019/08, you cannot farm it.. you only get it the first time.
"as of 2019/08, you cannot farm it.. you only get it the first time." This reply is a lie. As of 2020/04 these 'Simple Gadgets' still have a chance to drop from the Forest King's cradle.
Just to remove anyone's doubts, I tested it today (07/27/2020) and still works fine.
On the corrupted PC version don't waste your time farming the City Ruins: Near Factory on the 3rd floor building as nothing spawns except starting the game from the title screen. The gadget drops about once every 10 times at the Forest Zone: Royal Chamber cradle.

ChrisMorray

Souls: 55.00
Wiki Edits: 1
Can confirm that that specific spawn is broken, I got unlucky and it was Gold Ore too. That's okay though because the Forest Castle is easier, all you need to do is run straight towards the cradle, jump outside and use the access point to teleport back to the royal chamber. It resets the item anyway.
This is true and thanks for the advice. I wasted almost a whole day traveling and running between the damaged building's third floor, Engels' saw, the stone arch at the tower, and the baby-king cradle. I found two(!) pathetic simple gadgets the whole day while stacking up industrial amounts of crystal and amber. Then i started a loop that is: travel to Forest Castle: Royal Chamber, defeat the machines, collect the treasure jump out the window, send a wave to the goliaths and run up to Forest Castle: Front and travel back to the Royal Chamber. I collected the remaining 6 simple gadgets in less than an hour.
apparently it works now, just got 2 in 10-15mins
On the corrupted PC version don't waste your time farming the City Ruins: Near Factory on the 3rd floor building as nothing spawns except starting the game from the title screen. The gadget drops about once every 10 times at the Forest Zone: Royal Chamber cradle.