VIP

Castielle

Webmistress
Webmistress

Masochist

Souls: 13,855.00
Wiki Edits: 47132
Was curious what people's initial impressions of the game were, for those that have early access. I'm about 2 hours in and I find the story/plot seems to be intriguing and just about everything else seems to be disappointing. The graphics are worse than ME3 in many cases and the voice acting and lips of characters are all extremely bad! Nier has better voice acting lol. Also, when playing through a mission often dialogue cuts out between characters, there are glitches in dialogue and what the characters are saying doesn't even match what you're seeing in front of you. If this keeps up it may be the worst ME game to date :(

Would love to hear from others.

Cas
Check out our Sekiro Wiki and the awesome Bosses
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon

Elhanan

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 2,181.00
I have been watching streams of HZD - a great game with like QA - but the lip synch appears to be off frequently, and this game is a singular console exclusive. As with past PC games I have played and watched launch, imagine the first patch for the many varied platforms for ME:A will be of help.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 9,440.00
Bank: 503.00
I played for about 3 hours maybe, maybe more. My impressions are that I haven't found a story yet. Sure we ought to help make settlements happen. That's nice and all but there is no plot as far as the trial is concerned. The characters seem okay so far. It seems the quippy Joss Whedon style dialogue only exists if you pick those dialogue options and apparently only for male Ryder. Which is good to know.

The musical score bores me to tears however. None of that cool 80s synth style tracks here. I miss that combat track that sounded close to ripping off the Blade Runner end theme. All we get here is boring orchestral movie sound track fair, and being exceptionally bland at that.

I will say however that other than the hair, which is clearly worse than ME3, the graphics are definitely improved. PBR was the right move, however they seemed to have stuck to plastic looking surfaces for a lot of the Nexus and Hyperion ship interiors, but once you see the tempest or recolor your outfit and armor you can really see that PBR work it's magic.

Particle effects are top tier, I was impressed with Inquisitions vibrant particles but these are vibrant and feel almost tangible.

Eyes still look a little funny because the iris is placed on the rounded surface. If you look at a real iris it is flat inside the clear rounded surface of an eyeball. As well the there is almost no texted work to be had here. The eyes look like a single solid color. But this is an issue almost every game has.

Facial animations are horrible, just really stiff. The face doesn't move enough. I just switch, within minutes of playing ME3 to this game and those facial animations felt a little better actually.

Now the important part, to me at least, combat. All the clunky awkwardness of the trilogy are gone. I haven't played with different weapons yet, but they feel about the same in terms of projectile impact. That is to say, there really isn't any.a tad disappointed with that.

The three powers thing I thought was going to be a huge problem... Until I realized in each game I really only had three powers I consistently used on each class.

In ME3 for example I used:
Vanguard: Charge, Nova and Pull
Adept: Throw, Pull and Stasis. Sometimes warp+cluster grenade detonations against armored targets
Sentinel: Overload, Warp and Throw
Engineer: Overload, Incinerate and Sabatoge
Soldier: Nothing, just guns.
Infiltrator: Tactical cloak. That's it.

I was concerned about biotics being neutered again, however this isn't a problem because biotics get bonus damage to shields this time around and can strip them to get their CC going. This is much better than reducing them to nothing but combos. I miss warp and it weakening armor though.

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Oh and the character creator has barely any customizability and I you can't make your character any more pale than a fairly dark tan. Perhaps it's because I wanted to make my character look more Chinese or Japanese because I couldn't ever make my character look anything but white in the trilogy. So I thought it'd be fun. My character is cut, but she isn't what I had in mind.

Elhanan

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 2,181.00
Personally, no Techno Synth Muzak from the past cabin radios is regarded as a good thing here. But seeing a vid on the hair styles is disappointing, though it reportedly does move now.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 27,018.00
Wiki Edits: 41
Castielle wrote:Was curious what people's initial impressions of the game were, for those that have early access. I'm about 2 hours in and I find the story/plot seems to be intriguing and just about everything else seems to be disappointing. The graphics are worse than ME3 in many cases and the voice acting and lips of characters are all extremely bad! Nier has better voice acting lol. Also, when playing through a mission often dialogue cuts out between characters, there are glitches in dialogue and what the characters are saying doesn't even match what you're seeing in front of you. If this keeps up it may be the worst ME game to date :(

Would love to hear from others.

Cas

Can't say I agree dude. I don't see how the graphics are worse from the footage i've seen. Have you even played me3 recently? I have. You might be referring to art style. which is preference. Not factual. And I really don't get where people are getting the VA complaints. everything seems fine to me. really good even for your allies. Are you sure you are not having a problem with the actual dialogue itself?

The first few hours of the game are rather info dumpy and that isn't done really well. But I mean. same thing in mass effect 1. and they did explicitly state MEA was going to be a lot like ME1. The facial expressions and some animations I can agree with. but those have never been amazing in any bioware game. and they already said they were going to patch some animations and the character creation post launch.

Can't speak on those glitches/bugs as i've not played myself and limited SP footage. All I gotta say is you're 2 hours deep. give it much more time. other than that I think you're just a victim to your own hype if i'm being completely honest.

ME1 was the worst imo. if it didn't have such good writing and some small decisions gameplay wise it would have tanked. There is no way MEA can be called close to that.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
The gameplay is not the point of Bioware RPGs. (Well, it wasn't before EA ruined them.) It's not really the point of RPGs in general, everything else is, the combat is a tool (among others) to move the story forward or for character expression. If the combat is the point, it's probably an action game or a dungeon crawl (and no, I would not call most duengon crawls RPGs by virtue of the lack of RP in the G.) Later ME games forgot that and Bioware decided to make Gears of War in Space, with the non-combat stuff being reserved almost exclusively for on-ship conversations and (very, very formulaic, in large part because of the overall quest design) companion quests. That is a *huge* letdown. ME 1 didn't do it perfect either, but less than 80% of the in game content can be broken down to this exact forumuae (Talk> Travel> Linear Combat Corridor > Maybe Talk> Return) and ME 2 and 3 can't make that claim.

You'll get no argument from me that the actual combat in ME 2 and 3 is better, even if they had to retcon the crap out of the lore and I don't like the restrictions on powers, but it was so not worth what it cost to get.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Elhanan wrote:Personally, no Techno Synth Muzak from the past cabin radios is regarded as a good thing here. But seeing a vid on the hair styles is disappointing, though it reportedly does move now.

Watch on youtube.com

It's not techno though. It has a very specific aethetically quality that ME was going for and ME:A goes for this in nearly every way EXCEPT the music. It's not a cohesive whole.

Also doesn't that track remind you of this?
Watch on youtube.com

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Forum_Pirate wrote:The gameplay is not the point of Bioware RPGs. (Well, it wasn't before EA ruined them.) It's not really the point of RPGs in general, everything else is, the combat is a tool (among others) to move the story forward or for character expression. If the combat is the point, it's probably an action game or a dungeon crawl (and no, I would not call most duengon crawls RPGs by virtue of the lack of RP in the G.) Later ME games forgot that and Bioware decided to make Gears of War in Space, with the non-combat stuff being reserved almost exclusively for on-ship conversations and (very, very formulaic, in large part because of the overall quest design) companion quests. That is a *huge* letdown. ME 1 didn't do it perfect either, but less than 80% of the in game content can be broken down to this exact forumuae (Talk> Travel> Linear Combat Corridor > Maybe Talk> Return) and ME 2 and 3 can't make that claim.

You'll get no argument from me that the actual combat in ME 2 and 3 is better, even if they had to retcon the crap out of the lore and I don't like the restrictions on powers, but it was so not worth what it cost to get.

ME2 continued the Star Trek thing by giving you a lot of options in missions and combat scenarios to resolve conflicts with diplomacy. ME3 did have this really, but you also have to remember to context. You can't really reason with Reapers and Cerberus. Or reaper empower Geth. The story didn't allow the same kind of conflict resolution.

Also I personally wish RPGs that use guns continued the whole Deus Ex 1 and Mass Effect 1 thing where leveling up in a weapon improved it's accuracy and recoil management. ME:A seems to being going back to this somewhat.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
So write a better story, or put more effort into alternate ways to achieve objectives or include a lot more variety in the side quests and companion quests that don't directly involve reapers. I don't really care what the context is, it was a decision that created many low quality "role playing" experiences and if your story necessitates that be what happens your story is broken and needs to be re-written, just the same as if your story necessitated crappy combat mechanics.

I don't think that's how things went though, I'd bet it was the other way around. EA demands gears of war in space, and bioware has to try to salvage the story and core gameplay to fit. 2 was better about it than 3, yes, but definitely worse than 1. Also, Dragon Age 2/Inquisition do exactly the same thing a lot of the time, that's just the direction Bioware has gone in general. (Though they've wisely limited the actual corridors to story missions and major side quests in DA:I, the formulae is unchanged regardless, the quests that don't involve said corridors are rarely if ever anything more than an MMO style fetch/murder quest )
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush