Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!

abraksil

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 500.00
Admin note: I'm allowing this post because the developer is hanging out in the community. I hope this is interesting to some of the other users

Hello!
My name is Kuba. I'm an indie game developer. I recently discovered your awesome community and thought that people here might like what I'm working on. I was thinking I could set up a small dev blog thread here where I can post some stuff about my game once a week. So here it goes - Hope you'll like it! :)

It all began with a single drop. Form it two primal forces emerged. Forces of life and death. They fought one another in a futile effort to renounce their allegiance, only to realize that to exist separately is against their nature. From that communion the Soul Tree was born and with it the world as we know it.

Watch on youtube.com

Soulblight is a dark, top-down roguelike luring you to cross the thin line between good and evil. Instead of XP grinding, it introduces a Tainting Mechanics. While traveling through the shattered reality of the Sanctuary, you will receive personality traits based on your choices. These will be the main source of your strength. To harness them, you will have to act accordingly. Becoming an alcoholic means that you will be rewarded for getting drunk, but from that point being sober might prove to be unbearable.​

Features:
  • A unique Taint System designed to encourage role playing.
  • Tons of weapons, armor, and utility items.
  • Dynamic and tactical combat build around stamina management and distance control.
  • Optional stealth approach that complements fighting.
  • Randomly generated, visually breathtaking levels.
  • High difficulty level emphasized by permadeath mechanics.
  • Gameplay­-driven narrative.

Soulblight Live on Kickstarter

And so it's finally October 17th. Just a moment ago I clicked the button to activate our Campaining :) Now Soulblight is Live on Kickstarter

Here's the link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... soulblight

Keep your fingers crossed everybody! :)

Cya Around,
Kuba

Links
Soulblight on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/530930
Last edited by abraksil on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I'm making this roguelike game called Soulblight. Take a look :)
www.mynextgames.com
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 262,712.49
Bank: 7,567.71
Wiki Edits: 19907
This looks quite cute in gameplay and your key artwork is awesome - I'd like to see where you take it :)

Keep us updated when you have something we can try!
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

abraksil

Regular
Battle Tested

Thank you Fexelea for letting me set up my little blog here.Glad you like the art :) I will send your regards to Witek (he's the artist. I'm the programmer :) )
www.mynextgames.com
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 43,165.50
Wiki Edits: 561
Some interesting concepts here. It definitely sounds like something that'd be up my alley, at least from the information shown. Good presentation, on that note.

abraksil

Regular
Battle Tested

Glad to hear that @TSMP :)
Last edited by abraksil on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.mynextgames.com

abraksil

Regular
Battle Tested

It's time for my first update here. I think the best way to start would be by explaining what is the idea behind my game and why I'm doing it.

Video game RPGs are in the strange place right now In my opinion. These days every game with leveling mechanic calls itself ‪RPG‬. We play those games traveling through awesome worlds maxing out our stats and grinding XP on every opportunity. Over the years though it became more mundane than enchanting.

I look with nostalgia at my pen and paper RPGs memories. Back then gaining XP was only part of the fun, becoming our characters was the rest of it. Sometimes role playing stood in a way of solving the quest at hand, but we connected with our characters and they felt more alive that way. Video games are different. We cannot expect players to avoid fighting giant spiders just because their character has arachnophobia. That way they will lose precious loot and XP. They know the game will penalize them for that by becoming more difficult. If we want players to actually role-play the game need to encourage them to express this kind of things. Only Best RPG games menage do it with dialog options and branching story lines. To make it all believable the game need's to have tremendous amount of content. Every single outcome needs to be thought out and scripted. When me and my friends started Soulblightwe simple knew there was no way that we can pule it off. We ware simple too few to do it. We started to look for a different, new way to allow players to express they're characters. And this is how our Taint System came to be. :)

How exactly dose it work you ask? I’ll describe it in my next update :D
Last edited by abraksil on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.mynextgames.com

abraksil

Regular
Battle Tested

So a week has passed and It’s time to shed more light on the enigmatic Taint System I wrote about in a previous post :). Basically the main goal is to integrate actual role playing into character progression. Before entering each level of the Sanctuary you get to choose a taint that represent a certain personality trait. Each taint unlocks a new way of gaining power - a custom mechanic designed to encourage acting like a person with that attribute. Let’s look at few examples:

This method of character progression channels our will to survive into actions in alignment with hero’s personality. The deeper into the Sanctuary you get the more varied taints you’ll be able to acquire. Think of it as if the dungeon itself was a skill tree of a kind. While making a choice you’ll have to be careful as it will shape your personality and experience to come.
www.mynextgames.com

abraksil

Regular
Battle Tested

This week I've decided to share with you a gif so you can notice all these little ambient animations we're adding. Although players rarely notice them while enjoining the game they are very important. Without them environments seem dead and artificial.
www.mynextgames.com

Daos_Strange

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,127.00
Wiki Edits: 2
Interesting concept. What systems can we expect to see a release on?

Shadeon

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 4,194.50
Wiki Edits: 9
Sounds similar to Darkest Dungeon's quirk system. Will you choose from taints based on specific character actions or by preference alone?