For the PvP nuts! Debate tactics, discuss builds, and set up duels. Play nice.

Mr_Peer

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,284.50
Wiki Edits: 18
I've had my fair share of Souls. I loved DS 1, eventually got tired of DS3 and still play Bloodborne, so I would like your opinion on the only Souls game left for me: Dark Souls 2, specifically the SotfS version on the PS4.

Now, I know that the game itself (PvE) pales in comparison to the other titles. I already wachted a boatload of PvP videos and have realized that the multiplayer is what made the game great. But is it really? And how many still play it? Isn't the game dead by now (especially on the PS4)?
Advice would be greatly appreciated

Agurzil

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 25.00
Bank: 14,185.00
Wiki Edits: 710
There are currently around 3000 players online (on PC) for DS2 SoftS. Not that many, it's about one third of what DS3 has at the moment. The game is pretty dead, but I guess at higher SM tiers pvp is still active at the bridge, probably.

Also, PvE is not as bad as people say, actually it has the longest PvE of all of them, especially the DLC areas are a blast.

Assumeably, there are more people playing on ps4 than on pc, but I don't really know.
Man takes up the sword to protect the small injuries that burdened his heart, on a distant day beyond his memories.
Man wields the sword to die with a smile on his face, on a distant day beyond his dreams.

Mr_Peer

Addicted
First Warden

That's great to know. Thank you.

Xen

Casual
Convict

Souls: 279.00
I play on the PS4 and PvP summon signs and invasions still happen pretty frequently at "the spot" (the bridge in Iron Keep).

If you're willing to throw level/SM based matchmaking there's always the dueling arena, but most people are such a high level it's just wacky. I've always preferred the matchmaking PvP.

Also a tip if you plan to PvP on a character: NEVER lose your souls, make sure you spend them on something you find valuable. In DS2 matchmaking is based on soul memory instead of soul level, so if you lose a lot of souls over a playthrough, you'll start to be outclassed by your invaders who likely have spent all the souls they collected.

Mr_Peer

Addicted
First Warden

Losing souls: Yeah, it's kind of too late for that :P. I indeed noticed that very few people are around for (random) PvP these days. Maybe it will change once I reach 1 million SM and/or the shrine of winter. I decided to start with a quality character,just so I would be able to wield most weapons, and I'm having a blast so far!

On a side note, what weapons would you recommend to use which aren't that commonly seen in the meta world? Currently rocking a Greatlance with a Mail Breaker, but I want to switch/dual wield weapons as much as possible to explore good synergies.