Comments posted to our Dark Souls 2 Wiki
By daboth
The Staff can be aquired by lighting all four fireplaces in Aldia's Keep and defeating the Red Phantoms that appear on each one. The Bone Dragon in the first Hallway will then trigger it's animation and drops Aldia's Key. With this key it is possible to open a door on the way the boss and use a lever that loosens all creatures in the keep. One of the wooden Mimics in the hallway then finally drops the staff!
By Anonymous
Looked today, I cannot find any sconces (except the wall ones which (if possible) I cannot figure out how to light if not spread lit) having said this, I believe SOTFS no longer contains extra creatures as I dont even see any mimics and key is in acid pool now
By Anonymous
I like boys
By Anonymous
Looked today, I cannot find any sconces (except the wall ones which (if possible) I cannot figure out how to light if not spread lit) having said this, I believe SOTFS no longer contains extra creatures as I dont even see any mimics and key is in acid pool now
By Anonymous
There seems to be a lot of confusion in the posts. Let's clarify everything up: 0) Edited the page, Aldia's Keep drop added. 1) There are multiple trapped mimics in Aldia's Keep. Follow daboth's instructions, and you'll find a Branch of Yore AND the staff if you kill them all. 2) No pyromancy, unfortunately. Does fire damage if you bonk things with it, but you'll need a pyro glove in your other hand if you want access to every spell at once. 2.5) It should be noted that some hexes that require the casting tool to be a staff will not work, due to the Black Witch's Staff being listed as a chime. 3) As far as I can recall, it has always dropped from the two enemies listed (casters included). Though it has been such a rare drop, it's been maddening to acquire.
By Anonymous
Not true in Sotfs it now drops branch of yore.
By Anonymous
I like boys
By Phantorang
Posts Avatar
Its a random drop from the spell casters now
By Anonymous
Hey
By Anonymous
no pyro no. Only weaknes is that this staff cant cast pyro :D it would be cool tho
By Anonymous
It says in stats that can spell pyromancy but I tried and it cant. Or what I am doing wrong?
By Anonymous
You'd think it would since it has a fire damage stat.
By Anonymous
Hey
By Anonymous
To the person replying "not true, in Sotfs it now drops branch of yore" in SOTFS, no, you're fake news. There are 2 Mimics that drop from cages after pulling the lever. One drops the fragrant branch of yore (like you and walkthrough state), the other one drops the Black Witch's Staff. I just did this part, and yes I'm playing SOTFS version.
By Anonymous
I need alot of jelping understanding this weapon, the player status tells me it can do 1400 damage, but i can figure out how to do more than 333 damage against a variety of npc enemies
By Anonymous
The 1400 damage is the sum of all scaling cross the four elements. This means that the 1400 is a useless number: instead you should look at how much damage it does for your preferred type of damage output.
By Anonymous
Depends on your play style. 1400 number meaningless. For Sorceries Staff of Amana is much better but it can't cast Hexes. 50+INT nothing can beat staff of wisdom for sorceries but it is useless for a hexer. Sunset Stuff is better for Hexes but does less dmg then BWS if you use it for sorceries. I mean it is up to you. For example Sunset dark infused with dark clutch ring does 545, BWS dark infused 475 at 40 int 30 faith on a same target casting Dark orb. But numbers revers if you cast sorceries with same staves. BWS have better casting speed then Sunset and can be used to cast everything besides Pyro. .
By Anonymous
The 1400 damage you are seeing is the *nominal* damage of actually smacking an enemy with the Staff itself (before resistances are applied). Spells will only have their applicable damage type calculated. The main draw of this Staff is being able to cast Staff and Chime spells with a single Tool. While this isn't particularly helpful for normal Sorceries and Miracles, it comes into its own on a Hexer, who only deals in Dark damage with both spell types.
By Anonymous
Catalysts's strong attack has damage penalty (instead of damage bonus, like normal weapons do), that's why you deal mere 350 damage with 1300+ AR.
By Anonymous
Why this thing have fire damage if it can't cast Pyromancies
By Anonymous
This is one of the staves wielded by Witch of Izalith and her daughters. They used it to cast flame sorceries. When Witch of Izalith failed to create artificial Flame and created Chaos transforming herself and her daughters into demons flame sorceries were lost. Pyromancies ARE descendants of flame sorceries but are different in nature so they cannot be cast with this staff.
By Anonymous
deepest lore
By Anonymous
yea wow
By Anonymous
Because FROMSOFTWARE sucks! after the soul memory system, you keep thinking about the problems of this game?
By Anonymous
Bashing damage
By Anonymous
In case people are wondering, the various resistances enemies have against some types of elemental damage vs others can cause the actual damage to be much lower. The versatility of the weapon is not to be underestimated though. The raw damage posted may be high (in my case, around 1.5k) would only be possible on an enemy with no elemental damage resistance. Even so, One thing i like to do is toss on the clutch rings, and abyss ring, and use hexes to pull, then pummel the enemy to death. Pop a repair, and i'm good to go for next round. The crown of the Iron King keeps my spells up pretty high, so i don't have much to worry about. In a disturbing number of cases, I can do more with a melee swing, than I manage with a Hex!
By Anonymous
Catalysts' strong attack implies a huge damage penalty, that's why you deal something like 350 damage with melee swing having 1250 AR.
By Anonymous
Overrated. This page's text was written by a fanboy, who clearly was writing with one hand on the keyboard and the other on his wang out of excitement for this weapon.
By Anonymous
Okay, but like 1300 AR
By Anonymous
If you're looking for power or casting speed this thing is overrated, but that's not why you'd use this thing and you're looking in the wrong place for that. This thing is a godsend of Hexers who want to make use of both staff and chime based hexes without needing to equip multiple casting tools or swap them mid-combat just to use one spell.

This allows you to mix buffs/utility spells like crazy, so in dark areas you can use Cast Light instead of a torch while also being able to use Miracle buffs like the Replenishment line without needing more than one casting tool. It's a Swiss Army Knife tool, and it seems like a pretty dang good one at that.
By Anonymous
Jesus Christ, what a cringy comment.
By Anonymous
This might be next level cringe, dude is hating a ****ing sorcery catalyst in a videogame. SAD! Seriously though, it's explicitly told that it's an inferior catalyst for sorcery but it fits nicely for casting dark weapon and homeward or other buffs to your weapon and character. Since buffs can't be cast faster or stronger with a different chime or staff, this weapon is useful for that while everything makes it inferior.
By Anonymous
Catalyst's strong attack has a huge damage penalty (something like 1/4 of AR) instead of damage bonus, though,
And no, this staff is REALLY great. Dark version is awesome for hex caster, and magic version is quite good too. Although your sorceries would deal a bit lower damage (compared to Staff of Wisdom), you get a bit of extra cast speed and can cast miracle buffs without swapping catalysts, Also, you dont need 50 int.
By Anonymous
All i read was inferior
By Anonymous
That's exactly what I plan to use it for. I've gotten my melee character all the stats I really want for him at lvl 150, so have been raising my int and just used 5 of the simpleton's spices to lower Greater Magic Weapon to usability. So now when I don't feel like power-stancing 2 +10 dark bandit axes, it's the buffstick in one hand, axe in the other.....as soon as I find the stick, I think I might have sold it to Gavlan like a *.....
By Anonymous
NPC: can use pyromancies too
YOU: cannot
thanks fromsoftware
By Anonymous
I remember being able to use pyromancies with this staff in the non SoTFS version, it might've been patched out because holy crap is that good for a spell caster.
By Anonymous
Listen to me... Y'all are fools. This staff is f***ing epic. It literally casts ALL sorceries, hexes, and miracles. Including those hexes that require chimes. So this + PF = all spells available to be cast.
By Anonymous
Yeah, the versatility and combo possibilities are what make it superior