Comments posted to our Bloodborne Wiki

FextraBot

Town Crier
Souls: 0.00
These are cross-posted comments on a wiki page. You can visit the page here.  Read Wiki Page

I was under the impression that the bosses we kill which have the words "Nightmare Slain" after they die are the 'true' Great Ones, so to speak, and the rest are kin, ascended humans, children of the great ones, etc. For example:
- When we kill the Moon Presence, the Nightmare Slain message appears immediately.
- When we kill Mergo's Wet nurse, the Nightmare Slain message doesn't appear until later, when the baby stops crying. The baby is Mergo, the real Great One. If we use the music box before Mergo dies, it laughs a little.
- When we kill the Orphan of Kos, the "Prey Slaughtered" message appears and then we go back to Kos(or some say Kosm)'s corpse and a black thing disappears during a cinematic and the Nightmare Slain message appears. So the Great One was Kos, not the Orphan.
- No other bosses have the "Nightmare Slain" message after them. So I don't think they're Great Ones.

Thoughts?
My point in the OP was that the Amygdala, Rom, Ebrietas, and the others are just stuff that only exist because of the Great Ones. The Augur of Ebrietas states she was abandoned, I assume by her parent, which meant she never entered the nightmares, which kept her from ascending. Mergo, on the other hand, wasn't abandoned, had the Nightmare of Mensis to himself, had a wet nurse to take care of him, and became a real Great One. Same thing happens to the player after he ascends. He's ascended, but not abandoned, as the doll's taking care of him in the Hunter's Dream.
Also, note how none of the (legit)Great Ones I've mentioned don't exist outside a nightmare/dream realm. Including the player character.
I thought Ebrietas was a Great One who has been left behind. Anyone can clear this up for me?

PurpleLamb

Souls: 80.00
Wiki Edits: 6
It is all but confirmed that the baby is Mergo and the great one we fight is actually just the infants wet nurse meaning Mergo's wet nurse was most likely female as a wet nurse is like a second mother who does everything a mother would do to their own child even breast feed them. So Mergo isn't technically a great one or even a boss in actuality, she is the protector of Mergo who dies shortly after the child's wet nurse dies. So we killed a baby and her wet nurse.... THANKS FROMSOFT!?
Guys what that guy above me said is 100% true. You only get the nightmare slain if you killed a great one within their own nightmare. The reason why that doesnt happen with amygdala is because the frontier and nightmare of mensis are the same nightmare with the same creator, the wet nurse. And what are you guys talking about? The trophy/achievement clearly states ebrietas is a great one
Guys what that guy above me said is 100% true. You only get the nightmare slain if you killed a great one within their own nightmare. The reason why that doesnt happen with amygdala is because the frontier and nightmare of mensis are the same nightmare with the same creator, the wet nurse. And what are you guys talking about? The trophy/achievement clearly states ebrietas is a great one
The trophies call a lot of things Great Ones. For example, Rom is called a Great One yet the kin coldblood(which we get from killing him) says he was the brethren of the Great Ones, i.e. kin, and not a Great One herself. Also, she gets a 'Prey Slaughtered' message even though we fight her in what looks like a dream realm. Maybe the Japanese translation of the words 'kin' and 'Great One' might clear things up?

PurpleLamb

It is all but confirmed that the baby is Mergo and the great one we fight is actually just the infants wet nurse meaning Mergo's wet nurse was most likely female as a wet nurse is like a second mother who does everything a mother would do to their own child even breast feed them. So Mergo isn't technically a great one or even a boss in actuality, she is the protector of Mergo who dies shortly after the child's wet nurse dies. So we killed a baby and her wet nurse.... THANKS FROMSOFT!?
Ebrietas is not ascended though, so perhaps she is not a true Great One? Or maybe there's a hierachy of Great Ones, some are powerful enough to create Nightmare/Dream realms like the Moon Presence, Mergo, and Kos, others are lesser Great Ones like the Amygdala, Rom, and Ebrietas. Perhaps Ebrietas would've achieved greater power if she'd ascended? And then there's Formeless Oedon, only mentioned and hinted at. I wonder, if there is a Bloodborne sequel, we might get to learn more about Oedon, could poitentially be the most powerful Great One?

PurpleLamb

PurpleLamb

really makes you think of whats the difference between a nightmare and a great one?
I believe Nightmare is more to refer to a Great One which powers or rules a Nightmare Realm, thus the Moon Presence, Kos, and Mergo.

Mergo rules the Nightmare of Mensis, the Moon Presence rules the Hunter's Dream (and perhaps dream Yarnham), and Kos rules the Hunter's Nightmare.

PurpleLamb

really makes you think of whats the difference between a nightmare and a great one?
Amygdala
Why no "The Reborn One"?If Celestial Emissary can be then it can be too.
The one reborn isn't a great one at all, it's just the remains the bodies in yaharghul summoned into one being by the Bell maidens.
The main of mensis should be on this list as it is a great one, it is stated to be so in the living string's description.
But this is showing the Great Ones you can fight.
Technically, Rom is kind of a Great One. She just became vacuous after "ascending" through eyes granted by the Great Ones, as shown by Micolash's dialogue. Yes, Rom is not a true Great one, but perhaps some type of hyper-evolved Kin.
Technically, Rom is kind of a Great One. She just became vacuous after "ascending" through eyes granted by the Great Ones, as shown by Micolash's dialogue. Yes, Rom is not a true Great one, but perhaps some type of hyper-evolved Kin.
yeah, rom is definitely not a great one.
The brain of Mensis is a shogoth not a great one, correct me if I'm wrong.
Every great one has tentacle like body parts
Rom his tail
Ebrietas the tentacle queen
Amygdala the beard tentacle on the lesser one
Moon presence the back things
Mergo we doenst saw it yet
Kos looks grotesque

Another thing Rom has thousands of eyes his head and the two segments without the flowers have many eyes
H.P Lovecraft much?
I agree the one reborn should be here
The one Reborn is just flesh that combined power Ranger style to kill you, summoned by the flaming Bell *****es. However, Great Ones are old as *****, unique, and of varying species, or a human that has gained enough insight to be on the elevated plane of a great one (Rom and yourself after slaying the moon presence)
Should list the Orphan of Kos here now that the Old Hunters has been released.
Orphan of Kos isn't the great one in the Hunters Nightmare; you get prey slaughtered message when defeating Orphan of Kos. The black humanoid mist (which I can only assume is Kos herself) when attacked creates the message Nightmare Slain.
Or is it the Orphan of Kosm?
I loled
Or is it the Orphan of Kosm?
some say so.
I loled
Are you sure Rom is a Great One? There seems to be evidence suggesting that Rom was once human, and thus a Kin. Micholash suggests that Rom was transformed, Rom's behavior and appearance suggest she is young, like an infant, similar to the Celestial Larvae. The thing it drops also suggests Rom being a Kin.
Why is the nurse a great one she has nothing like any great one
Deez nuts
But anyways the bosses are hard.
Swag
Sorry I had to