Comments posted to our Bloodborne Wiki
By Anonymous
Only 20 damage? That's a lot lower than the standard hunter pistol. What's the catch to this weapon?
By Anonymous
just use the broken rifle spear for ultimate cheese.
By Anonymous
Not true, you would have to use a bone ash item for every shot to beat the cannons dmg and even then might come up a tad short. Everything has its own situation where it shines. Cannon shines on big boss fights where you want to throw down some real damage from a safe distance.
By Anonymous
Not true, you would have to use a bone ash item for every shot to beat the cannons dmg and even then might come up a tad short. Everything has its own situation where it shines. Cannon shines on big boss fights where you want to throw down some real damage from a safe distance.
By Anonymous
The difference is Ludwig's rifle doesn't scale as good as the blunderbuss, but it has better "base" stats. So if you wanna put points into tinge, the blunderbuss is better. If you just want a "better" shotgun for other builds, this one is better. And for the pistol, you want the Evelyn. To my knowledge it is just strictly better than the hunters pistol.
By Anonymous
Well, since pistols can go really far, there isn't much of a point to a "rifle." It actually makes sense the way the did it.
By Anonymous
By Anonymous
I never thought of guns as a Dmg weapon even the Cannon seems to be a waste.
By Anonymous
The Evelyn is better with more bloodtinge. For lower stats pistol is better.
By Anonymous
279 is laughable. Fighting (unnamed spoilers) kin boss and doing 2500 damage with the cannon with bone marrow ash. On top of getting visceral attacks
By Anonymous
Doesn't the cannon take 10 bullets to fire? Meaning this does more damage than the cannon, but you have to hit more shots, which actually would be better
By Anonymous
By Anonymous
Yea in this game it feels like guns are not intended to be your main source of damage. Just like spells, they feel more like tricks up your sleeve where you can unleash some hurt, but can only do this a limited number of times. Being able to carry only 10x bone marrow ash at a time is a good example.
By Anonymous
Each bullet/projectile deals 20 damage. So, say this shoots 20 individual projectiles, if all of them hit, it'd deal 400 damage.
By Anonymous
Guys, the shotguns in general were not designed for huge and heavy damage, they were designed for staggering opponents and opening up easier viscerals when enemies try to side step you. This has a longer range than the starting shotgun and a decent spray, making it possible for longer range viscerals that would be difficult to pull off on the pistols. I use this shotgun even on high bloodtinge builds just because it's such a useful way to keep people from healing from a distance (and because I use the Evelynn as a side arm, which is the main reason for the high bloodtinge to begin with). For those who are curious, just look at the description. This weapon was clearly designed by the church to hunt down huger, even more abominable beasts than what was seen in the past. Remember that Wendigo boss you fight (Cleric Beast)? Yeah....I sure as hell would not want to get all up and personal with a beast like that if it was real life, so the normal shotgun wouldn't cut it. Now, a longer ranged shotgun with a specialized barrel to fight from a distance, on the other hand....
By B3hr
The OP in this comment is actually me, back before I decided to become more active in helping out on the wiki pages. But my original thoughts on this firearm still stand, and even now this shotgun gets alot of undeserved hate.

Realistically speaking you can make this firearm work even on high bloodtinge builds (28+) because you honestly won't find too many firearms that are as reliable as the Ludwig's Rifle when it comes to hitting targets from a distance.
By Herpderp1
I actually loved this weapon with my Church Hunter character since the spread and range keeps enemy movements a bit under control and more likely to give parries.
By Anonymous
I hate both of them
By Anonymous
Really, then what is your favorite right/left hand weapons. I'm just curious.
By Anonymous
Not really. I'm in Ng+5 and occasionally do pvp here and there and I find both weapons are amazing. Less so in pvp as they are slow but for the actual game? They destroy things very quickly.
By Anonymous
The Anal Mauler
By Anonymous
The weapon seems to work well for staggering for me it you focus on bigger types of enemies, but not recommended for PVP. DEFINITELY not in PVP
By Anonymous
Sounds like someone needs to git gud
By Anonymous
Sounds like someone is dumb replying to a 6 y o comment. More like git glasses you brainlet
By Anonymous
...I was hoping it'd be a legit, long range rifle rather than a narrower cone spread Shotgun and yet despite that, Blunderbuss is just overall better too. I know the advantage of the weapon is supposedly that the base stats are better than the Blunderbuss, but I don't think that's all that noticable when both are upgraded to be honest. I kinda think this thing could use a buff of some sort it's unfortunately by far the least useful firearm imo. It sucks because it's so ***** cool looking, and its not to say it couldn't be made viable...but it just sits in this really awkward place that doesn't really give a blunt advantage as the pistols handle range, damage, and targetting better, and the Blunderbuss as well as even some of the hybrid trick weapons like Rifle Spear handle shotgun situations better with more versatility and even a tiny bit more damage where it counts (up close).
By Anonymous
The reason Ludwig's rifle is so useless is because people use the Shotguns for wide-spread visceral attacks, and pistols for damage or quick-reaction visceral attacks. So Ludwig's Rifle deals more damage, who cares? It also fires slower, making it worse for viscerals, which is the whole point of the Shotguns
By Anonymous
Does anyone noticed that this gun switches the form the barrel is bending itself
By Anonymous
Just look closely by switching a torch to this weapon I only use torches as secondary left weapon
By Anonymous
Actually the whole point of pistols is for visceral attacks. The point of shotguns is to punish dodges and punish healing if anything
By RailBladerX
I understand where you are coming from, but the reason i use the ludwigs rifle is because it allows me to throw on more pressure when people run away to heal, it has more range, and its rather hard to dodge, (it only does like 8 dmg) but still great for keeping people from healing.
By Anonymous
Funny thing, when you have the rifle left handed and have a two handed weapon, it's in its compact form and the barrel is flipped to the top of the gun. But when you switch to it from another left handed weapon, the barrel swings out from the bottom of the gun. Continuity ERROR!
By Anonymous
^ 100% incorrect. Shotguns do nothing against dodging as i-frames negate all. Also shotguns don't have range to punish healing. Shotgun is generally better for visceral because 1) it staggers most enemies even if you get the timing wrong and 2) there's less of a chance that the shot will miss because of an attack animation moving the hitbox (case in point, logarius and his exaggerated wide ups often lead to him to dodge under shots unless you manually aim the shot while unlocked)
By Ne6romancer
Posts Avatar
if u know what you're doing you can stagger scrub healers everytime with this, easier than a pistol
By Anonymous
Do Odd gems add damage to all bullets?
By Anonymous
easily the worst gun in the game
By Anonymous
The creator of Bloodborne has a history of using famous music composer names as references for various npcs and/or weapon & item descriptions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Beethoven was a huge inspiration. However, I also understand Ludwig is a popular name, so it goes both ways.
By Anonymous
Both Shotgun type weapons are better for parrying larger enemies, like bosses. I can parry the Pthumerian Elder with the Ludwig's, but not with the Eveyln.
By Anonymous
Ludwig is a popular name. It's definitely not Beethoven.
By Anonymous
I just had an invader wielding this gun. It did about 2 damage to me...and I was wearing the white church robes, so not exactly tanking it. However, with its longer range and shotgun spread, it staggered me quite a bit, until he finally got a lucky parry on me. Definitely annoying to fight against in PVP, but I wouldn't recommend it against the AI.
By Anonymous
Iv noticed that this good is really good at getting off visceral attacks. just got used to the fire rate and its perfect for easy counters
By Anonymous
does anyone else think that ludwig stands for Ludwig van Beethoven, same year or architecture style, plus saying that they did develop early prototypes of firearms, in the 16th century.
By Anonymous
It is crap the slowest rate of fire not tested only saw weak attack power
By Anonymous
Iv noticed that this good is really good at getting off visceral attacks. just got used to the fire rate and its perfect for easy counters
By Anonymous
Never can get hit with it what kinda bad compared to the Ludwig blade
By Anonymous
Almost All the guns have a bad damage scaling. It might be that the developers just needed to find a way to replace shields in bloodborne.
By Anonymous
It's meant to be an early game damage gun. outclassed In later lvls, but in the short range it's very useful. Do not be quick to pass judgment on weapons in a game with so few
By Anonymous
Agreed
By Anonymous
It doesn't seem to fill enough of a niche to have warranted creating. It has a (slightly) higher base damage than the blunderbuss and poorer scaling, while also requiring a higher bloodtinge to use, which seems self-defeating. More than that, though, the shotguns weren't really made for damage in the first place. They are safer for parries (on enemies with screwy hitboxes, at least) and good for staggering multiple opponents. The only time you will deal any kind of damage with a weapon like this is at point blank range and with a high bloodtinge, but the narrower spread on this weapon means it's worse at that as well. It would have made more since to me if they had flipped the base damage and bld scaling on this and the blunderbuss.
By Anonymous
It's more meant as a mid-range control weapon. Use it to pop a round off to stagger a foe for a few moments, in which time you canget in and start slashing. Also good for people who backstep parry, since the tighter spread puts a better stagger if you miss a parry