Comments posted to our Bloodborne Wiki

See man wielding a Yarnham whip, blacked out tricorn, leaping back
Quickly go from a gentleman into a sadistic *** whipper.
Canne du combat was a concept introduced in France in the Victorian Era. Basically men were being taught to use their canes as defensive weapons in the instance of assault, sometimes concealing a sword within the shaft of the cane. The idea was to be safe while still appearing classy, hence it was a practice favored among the bourgeoisie. Though, I don't recall any of their canes transforming into urumi blades, lol.
Although you know if the technology were available at the time, some would have rocked a segmented whip cane. lol

Minuslee

Souls: 205.00
Wiki Edits: 31
Is the serrated on this bugged? The whip always deals slightly less than the cane no matter what i hit.
serrated should be working, depends on the type of enemy you're fighting
Another possible inspiration is Zabimaru, Renji's sword, from Bleach.
...try watching Brotherhood of the Wolf.
The beast cutter is definately from zabimaru
At +10, this has B scaling in Arcane. I increase my Arcane stat in Mugenmonkey, but the dmg doesn't go up...what's the deal?
That applies for when you insert a gem that gives elemental damage. Unless gem says other wise it removes the physical damage and gives you elemental damage but scales with your arcane stat.
The Arcane scaling only works when you have an arcane based bloodgem added to the weapon, in which case the base physical dmg transfers to the elemental variant you use and then scales based on the stat for bonus dmg.

This only works on purely physical weapons and weapons like the tonitrus keep the split dmg when you add the bloodgem

The best bet for a pure arcane build is to pick the weapon you want and only add the req'd str/dex and then dump everything else on arcane. Also you cant mix arcane dmg types well and only one element will keep the base dmg.
Arcane also affects how much of a damage increase your weapon gets while buffed with Fire Paper, Bolt Paper, or the Empty Phantasm Shell.

Revenitor

Casual
Convict

Souls: 50.00
I just wanted to point out that I'm pretty sure ARC does NOT affect elemental buffs (from paper and Phantasm Shell). They each buff 80 damage of their respective element. I'm not an expert on this game, but you can check out the pages on this wiki or ask someone else if you don't believe me, or, heck, just test it out for yourself. If you look at their item details, you'll notice that they don't have scaling. So--while I wish they scaled with Arcane, either with their own scaling changing how much flat damage is added or by adding it the weapon's base damage for that element and letting the weapon scale it with it's own Arcane scaling--they unfortunately do not.
Does serrated and blessed dmg, has both ranged/slow and quick/short options, scales perfectly with dex and really well with arcane, and it's a starting weapon and works right off the bat with any build.

You basically don't "need" anything else

Revenitor

Casual
Convict

IKR! It's my favourite weapon, by far and away. I like using other weapons in my PvE build, but it's hard to justify doing so. It's got great visceral damage, speed, and range, and has the versatility to make it the best weapon against most encounters. I pair it with the Hunter Pistol, Anti-Clockwise, Oedon Writhe, and Blood Rapture for the ultimate parry build. And what you can't cheese with a saw-whip, you can wreck with Blacksky Eye.
Why isn't the normal form (cane) blunt damage that scales with strength (kind of like a club)?
I understand gameplay-wise but I just don't get the hitting people with a stick.
How is it a weapon? I want to like it, and the whipe mode is great, but I can't get over the cane mode. It feels dumb, innefficient, and definetly blunt (except the R2 thrust).

can someone explain
It's not a stick, it's a short blade. Scaling with strength would make no sense on such a small weapon.
If you read the description, the cane form is a "rigid bladed cane." So it's not dealing blunt damage because it's bladed. It doesn't make sense to need some kind of high strength to wield a cane.
I thought the bladed part meant the "hidden" blades for the whip (since they are made of "half" the wideness of the cane, they are sharp). But the weapon does not look sharp (the r2 thrust and the whipe mode do though) like I don't think hitting someone with it would cut. It's just too cilindric to open its way through armor/fur/scales/skin.
Like I understamd hitting people with a steel rigid cane would hurt, but it's far from efficient, speciallt against beasts.

So, the reason is that, despite being too cilindrical (well an hexagon), the sides are sharp enough to slash? I don't fully buy it but Idk I may be too stubborn
It’s called a video game
It’s a sword with a cane handle. Yes, a cane, but a very sharp cane.
Well, it's actually a cane SWORD. So it wouldn't be blunt. Yeah the not sharp end is weird but I've seen it on a few Korean swords that look like a Chinese Jian. I hope that helps.
I don't know why I was expecting otherwise, but I'm surprised this seems to be such a divisive weapon.

I've always found it to be one of the best. Its hit box for the swings is so large that it often hits the weakpoints of larger enemies and although I've read by some that they find its stun low, my experience with whip mode at least is that it's staggered quite a few of the monsters in the game.

I think the problem is that some people don't approach this thing properly. All it takes is a defensive mindset, a sense of spacing, and only targeting enemies sparingly. This thing I feel benefits tremendously off of manual aim. Its untransformed R2, the big poke, is a great attack to combo into from whip form with a transformation attack.

Weapon might benefit a lot from a secondary weapon option to switch to in order to fill in its shortcomings, but the utility of this thing's been consistently amazing to me these last three years.

Revenitor

Casual
Convict

Agreed. I've found that it quickly stuns smaller enemies like a charm. For larger enemies, the trick is to stun them out of harm's way. You can't always stun them in the middle of an attack, but you can often stun them when you R1 spam to punish a whiff. My favourite weapon for sure. Early game, I paired it with Saw Spear (because Saw Spear is good for Church Giants), then I started using the Blades of Mercy, for the ARC damage and the mobility options. I tried pairing with Reiterpallasch, but it just wasn't suited to my SKL/ARC build, being a bit slow, and I didn't use my Hunter Torch or Flamesprayer as much as I thought I would, and I didn't even try using the shields. Beasthunter Saif works great, because, again, mobility options, which the cane (and any normal weapon, I think) lack, which provides some utility against faster enemies. I'm going to try pairing it with the Rakuyo sometime, and I'll see how that goes.
Threaded Cane is amazing! I'm newbee in bloodborne and have try a new game with all three beginner weapon. Threaded Cane's damage maybe lowest among them all but it's whip form have long reach and I can deal with dangerous enemy safely with paitent. cane form is also good just like other sword. even in boss fight Threaded Cane did well for me better than other weapon ^^

Revenitor

Casual
Convict

Yep, and it's got the best viscerals of the three. Not to mention how it's great against both beast and kin, and how it's the best for cheesing. It is, however, bad for speedrunning, as it's largely a weapon of patience, and I don't know how well it would work in PvP. But as a PvE player who takes things slow, it's my favourite weapon, and the best for boss fights.