Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki
By Anonymous
The bread and butter point-blank Pyromancy nuke. Wakeup combos abound.
By Anonymous
Seems very hard to hit with this, I'm doing some low level pvp with a new guy (to easily get max convent ranks for spells), I want to do some pyro dmg but have limited spell options. Should I push on to fire orb?
By Anonymous
I try a SL20 build with Dark Hand as my main weapon (insane dmg!!!) and pyro on the left.
Now I have to choose between Great Combustion and Fire Orb... Fire Surge could be good too but I prefere to bait some one.

I think with Great Combustion you can bait someone very easy. Play it like you have NO idea what you do and when he's attack you, parry him and punish him! :D
By Anonymous
*****ing terrible range, I understand they were probably afraid of directly porting DS2-era Great Combustion, but the actual effect no longer matches the visuals at all. Seems to also have very few hit-frames, especially compared to DS2, again, this doesn't match the visuals which show the flames lingering for a moment longer.Damage is... ok, I guess? But if you're hitting with this during combat, you're going to be trading for 1~2 hits from the opponent, which unless they're using a broken straight sword will always hurt more than this. Wakeup combo viability is gone because of the low hit-frames and tiny AoE, so you can only really use it in direct combat where it isn't worth it because the damage/range isn't good enough.*****in', Fire Surge is better for wakeup combos, actually scratch that, Fire Surge is better in almost every way.
By Anonymous
10th of June patch buffed this spell and Black Flame.The fire now appears further in front of your character, and the hitbox now more closely matches the visuals. Much better range overall. Much better than it was back on release.
By Anonymous
Yes, it's rather disappointing once you get the better flame ball, but it comes out faster than either of the starting balls and hits harder than the noob ball.Ditch it once you get Flame Arc, but it's handy when it's all you've got.
By Anonymous
Is that naked troll parry spamming you? Light his face on fire!Is that washing pole running attack driving you nuts? Don't cast this spell, use Chaos Orb lava pools for distance.It's not the easiest spell to get the hang of but you can really bait people into it and surprise someone for good damage.
By Anonymous
Seriously, this spell wrecked pontiff for me. I tried using chaos fire orb the first time but it doesn't cast fast enough to send it his way before being infinity combod by him first, but great combustion did the trick for me, and I beat him the first time I tried this spell instead of chaos orb.Great Chaos Fire Orb is amazing against most bosses, but for pontiff I highly suggest this one instead.
By Anonymous
I got a fair bit of use out of this in lower level PvP when I was starting out with my pyromancer, particularly around the cathedral of the deep area when I would get invaded. If you can train someone to look for your fire orbs and such, you can pop one of these quickly in their face and they might not expect it, even walking right into it. Can also function as a substitute for a melee weapon of sorts, although it's usually better to still have a weapon.On top of that, you can also mix it up with combust weapon arte from the pyromancy flame. While the damage is much lower and range even shorter, it comes out even faster, so you can vary your timing even further to throw your opponent off. The speed of it can be really handy for interrupting an opponent who gets close to you.I haven't really been getting use from it in the late game though, particularly since my +10 chaos hand axe does about the same damage with light attacks, and the black flame spell will generally do more damage to people even if I'm not using the dark clutch ring. Might still be useful depending on your build though.
By Anonymous
How is Similar so hard to spell for this guy
By Anonymous
I miss the DS2 version, best roll catcher