Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

FextraBot

Town Crier
Souls: 0.00
These are cross-posted comments on a wiki page. You can visit the page here.  Read Wiki Page

LoL
How do you upgrade these staves in DS3? Or is it like DS1 style where you don't upgrade them at all?
upgrade required
upgrade at blacksmith
Upgrade at blacksmith.
upgrade your wooden stick at the blacksmith (???????????????)
It's under a different tab in the upgrade menu at the blacksmith
how can we know?
Consensus at the moment seems to be that only the slow casting spells seem to benefit from higher dex and wearing the sage ring. Seems like the soft cap for casting speed increase from dex is rather low when wearing the ring. I noticed between base and 20, but can't tell 30 apart from 20 at all.
Sadly, Miyazaki appears to hate all the nice number details we got in DS2 and removed all the nice magic/dark/lightning damage (and reduced it to just "spell buff") and spell casting speed details from pretty much everything in the game. So, we'll just have to wait until people spend dozens to hundreds of hours testing every combination of variables to see what affects spell casting.

One thing I noticed was that the whole "Dex helps spell casting" thing seems to probably be somewhere around an E scaling, because my base sorcerer and my sorcerer with 30 Dex both cast Heavy Soul Arrow with the sorcerer's staff at pretty much the exact same speed, with maybe 2-5 frames reduced. I don't have video editing software to go frame by frame.

-Edison Trent
Anyone knows which is the best staff for int based builds?
Seems to me like the Court Sorcerer's Staff is the best due to it's INT scaling.
I am taking some notes on my sorc play atm. Notices that as soon as at +4, the basic Sorcerer Staff outscales the Heretic Staff +4 when you get closer to 30 intelligence. The Heretic Staff is excellent for dabblers who do not go beyond 18 int to cast Great Magic Weapon/Great Magic Shield/Great Heavy Soul Arrow. Or pyromancers that have to make a split.

All the staves seem to have some slightly hidden perks/flaws. For example, the Heretic Staff uses more stamina than the Sorcerer Staff. The Sage Crystal Staff uses more FP to do damage. The Witch-Tree Branch is weaker, but marginally faster. My advice is to try them out and decide based on play style. Hopefully, someone will do an in-depth analysis of all the staves, so it will be easier to predict, and not waste resources on what will inevitably become garbage.
But the Coart Sorcerer's Staff has less than half of the Sage's Crystal Staff spell power :S
weapon skill: steady chant, steady chant, steady chant, poison spore...

a single unique ability for staffs. Here I was expecting shockwaves, unique spells, maybe a 'soul ultra greatsword' weapon ability, but nope.
Ya ***** those *******! They didn't give you something that YOU expected and THEY in no way promised!
yea well you should have been used it by now.

Creativity does not go well with magic with From.
Better make more soul arrow clones.
First playthrough - currently at lvl 56 with 59 INT, planning on hitting the mid cap of 60.

Sorcerer's Staff +4 spell buff at 213 -> 215 @ +5
Heretic's Staff +4 Spell buff at 209 -> 211 @ +5

Sage's Crystal staff sorcery buff only applies when Chanted according to the wiki --> but it has a high 130 starting spell buff with a beginning B scaling such as the starting sorcerer staff.
Court Sorcerer's spell buff only starts at 60.

Unless the Court Sorcerer's Staff has a ridiculous scaling and/or
The Sage's Crystal staff scales higher than the sorcerer's staff;

it seems that the starting Sorcerer's Staff is the best one for pure sorcery damage.

As someone has pointed out on the wiki, +4 heretic's comes out ahead in spell buff compared to Sage's Crystal +4 by a small amount (not considering spell chant buff). And since the starting Sorcerer's Staff comes out slightly ahead of heretic's, it seems that the starting Sorcerer's Staff is the clear winner until I can get my hands on the Court Sorcerer's staff to test out the scaling @60 INT.
Ok so I tested heretic, sorc staff, court sorc staff, and sage's crystal staff at 50 int 0 faith and max reinforcement. Heretic:200, Sorc staff: 202, Court sorc staff:202, Crystal staff:187 At 60 int 0 faith Heretic:220, Sorc Staff:226, Court sorc staff:238, Crystal staff:207
So at 50 int court staff and sorc staff do the exact same dmg even with staff buff.
Crystal staff however out shine's in the dmg department with its staff buff by a noticable amount but the ap consumed is pretty noticeable as well. So above 50 int Court sorc staff is overall best for casting most spells.....HOWEVER for spells like Farron Flash Blade the heretics staff length comes into play making it quite valuable. Like swinging a spear like a sword.
Ok so I tested heretic, sorc staff, court sorc staff, and sage's crystal staff at 50 int 0 faith and max reinforcement. Heretic:200, Sorc staff: 202, Court sorc staff:202, Crystal staff:187 At 60 int 0 faith Heretic:220, Sorc Staff:226, Court sorc staff:238, Crystal staff:207
So at 50 int court staff and sorc staff do the exact same dmg even with staff buff.
Crystal staff however out shine's in the dmg department with its staff buff by a noticable amount but the ap consumed is pretty noticeable as well. So above 50 int Court sorc staff is overall best for casting most spells.....HOWEVER for spells like Farron Flash Blade the heretics staff length comes into play making it quite valuable. Like swinging a spear like a sword
What about speed?

I don't believe that they make exact same weapon but different skin on it. There must be a difference between sorc staff and court sorch staff.

May be that diference is casting time? Somebody should test it...

Nozaj_Darkcaster

Souls: 57.00
Maybe it's just me who would love such an item, but i would love to be able to parry with a staff, i would never need a shield again
It would be better then steady chant anyway...
My sorcerer staff ( starting staff ) is showing 120 at base form. is that possibly because i started in sorcerer class?
your stats are a bit above the requirements