Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki
By lordnoah
Posts Avatar
it removes fire scaling and doesn't make the weapon much better if anything its a waste besides you can get one later
By Cypeq
It removes scaling... so what? you don't have stats at the start of the game anyways.You can change item's infusion anytime is no hassle.You'll find many more gems then before.People posting here have not tried this item I suppose. It offers superior damage until upgrade level +4 and stats like dex/str well over 20 points. So it's the best starting gift as early on you should really work on your health bar to have decent life expectancy.
By Anonymous
Yes it removes the scaling but if you make a deprived starting class with the fire gem gift then proceed to get the broadsword you can pump all your points into vigor, endurance and vitality (if you want to wear armor and not fat roll). This will make the early stages of the game extremely easy because you will do more damage and have more health than any class plus straight swords are OP in dark souls 3. Only downside is you will eventually do little damage in the later stages of the game but by that point you will be able to choose between leveling int/faith or str/dex for w.e build you want. These items are also made so that caster classes don't do massive dmg with their weapons and spells but still deal respectable damage with their weapons.
By lordnoah
Posts Avatar
it removes scaling and does not add any scaling for int or faith, it does add some damage but not enough to pay for the zero scaling in str and dex, it might be useful if you don't plan on investing point in str or dex and have only the basic requirements but the lack of scaling will make even the best weapons obsolete compared to weapons that actually have scaling
By Drake_Bridge_Invader
Posts Avatar
Ever get the early fire longsword in DS2, or enchant the easy to get bastard sword with fire in DS1? I thought this may be really weak, but if it happens to let you turn any decent early weapon into a fire weapon with good bonus damage, it actually may be a decent starting gift.
By Anonymous
Interesting system that is being put into place here. It seems that int builds are the only ones that actually get magical scaling on any weapons that the want. For Fire/Dark damage that is mixed-magic or faith based, you get no extra scaling. Maybe the fire/dark spell buffs are powerful and cheap, and they expect players to use them more often. Then you still have an advantage when you have that existing flat elemental damage, which makes you better at penetrating defenses. But still, int getting magical scaling weapons and faith not?
By Anonymous
Also for those who have stats invested in Pyromancy, Weapons infused with Chaos scale off of int and faith.
By Anonymous
I believe most weapons that you infuse with lightning gets A scaling with faith.
By Anonymous
i got it two times from a regular pitchfork enemy in the Undead Settlement. i dont even have high item discovery but i was quite surprised by the first drop and even more as a nother pitchfork mob dropped one
By Anonymous
id like to start as herald with teh gem, then get a halberd and infuse it with fire. will that be a good thing?
By Cypeq
You can swap infusions freely as long as you have required gem. Unlike ds2 there is no need for in between gem that returns item to normal
By Anonymous
Not really, since it seems to remove scaling entirely from the weapon. It doesnt seem to be like in Dark Souls 2, where Fire Damage scales from Int/Faith
By Anonymous
Chaos infusion is fire damage that scales with Int/Faith, but it comes pretty late in the game. There is an item that removes infusion though, so you could start with Fire and upgrade freely , then remove the fire and swap to chaos without losing your upgrades.
By Anonymous
Is the gem one use only, or do I get to have fire weapons with everything?
By Anonymous
One use infusion
By Anonymous
The village workers in Undead Settlement drop Fire Gem.
By DubDublin
Does the fire damage scale off stats like faith/int like pyromancy? I know the fire clutch ring will increase the damage from fire infused weapons, just hoping I can increase it further...
By Cypeq
No, but in the late game you can obtain chaos infusion that deals fire damage and scales of int/faith.
By Cypeq
It removes scaling... so what? you don't have stats at the start of the game anyways, as a caster you don't want to have str/dex stats for a long long time.You can change item's infusion anytime is no hassle.You'll find many more gems then before.People posting here have not tried this item I suppose. It offers superior damage until upgrade level +4 and stats like dex/str well over 20 points. So it's the best starting gift as early on you should really work on your health bar to have decent life expectancy. It's better than a raw gem until you can buff your weapon with great spells.
By Anonymous
Its great early game but not necessarily better than raw because fire does split damage (has to go thru two defenses). Raw only has to go thru one defense. Raw is pretty amazing on a high base damage weapon like Astora Straight Sword plus you can still use resins/buffs.With that said I do think the Fire Gem is a good starting gift. You can have a Fire infused weapon 10 minutes into the game and there are certain enemies that react to fire damage. Plus you can boost fire damage a bit with the fire clutch ring found early on.You really can't go wrong with Fire or Raw early on. Both are super easy to farm as well. Raw drops off most of the High Wall enemies and Fire drops off the pitchfork guys in Undead Settlement.
By Cypeq
Raw is good buy as flat observable damage goes fire gem still does more on most enemies. Verified up till +5
By Anonymous
What are the best weapons to infuse with fire gems? (Or really any gem that removes scaling but boosts base damage)
By Anonymous
estoc benefits from the fire gem if you're using a strength build
By ArmStorage
Or any kind of small to medium shield with high fire defense, such as Wooden Wargod Shield, it'll boost its fire defense up to 82.8%
By Anonymous
it's good for any infusable weapon that doesn't scale well with your build
By Drake_Bridge_Invader
Posts Avatar
I am finding the fire flamberge, with plenty of attunement to use the longsword special moves the flamberge has, works wonders. Kind of a, do it and don't think about it, easy mode.
By Anonymous
Your best bet is any weapon while your stats are still *****. Once you get stats up you are better off with other infusions.
By Renozuken
I Often use Fire, Deep or Raw gems in early game, when stats are still low and scaling does not has its full potential yet.
The weapons and or shields that i use it on are Weapons/shields that have low scaling themselves and also not that rare, so I can make multiple copies of them.
For an example: I purchase 3 Bastard Swords from Greirat and I infuse one with fire, one with deep and one with raw.
The Raw Basterd Sword will be my mean weapon.
When I encounter enemies that are weak to Fire, then I swap to my Fire Basterd Sword.
When I encounter enemies that are weak to Dark
By Renozuken
Then I use the Dark Bastard Sword.
So I have an effective weapon in different scenario's.
(Sorry for the message below, I accidently pressed submit xD.)