For the PvP nuts! Debate tactics, discuss builds, and set up duels. Play nice.

Petehog

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,510.00
I’m about to stir the hornet’s nest and I foresee a flame war but I wanted to bring up a question and a debate. My question and debate revolves around backstabs. How do you deal with an opponent whose ability to backstab exceeds your ability to evade a backstab? I think ultimately when it comes to backstabs, it’s a game of who has the advantage. Does his ability to backstab exceed your ability to evade a backstab? Contrary to popular belief (and I’m about to really ruffle some feathers), you can't evade backstabs. Not against someone who's actually good at it. Why then is it criticized when a player takes precautionary measures to don the Jester’s outfit? People will often criticize my prolific use of the Jester’s outfit.So I guess my question really comes down to a few things. First…..is it true that it is untrue that you can evade all backstabs? I’m under the firm belief and notion that some players are just so good at backstabs (they memorized every movement of the weapon and they know when you are open) or there is insurmountable lag (hence the backstab) wherein a backstab is actually…undodgeable. It basically comes down to one of two factors. Or both. It’s either his skill in backstabs is greater than your ability to evade it. Or you’ve got lag and he’ll get you. But in any case, what is your defense against it other than using a Jester’s outfit yourself?

-Written by a Jester with a Syan's halberd and a penchant for backstabbing (a former backstabee)

XuitusTheGreat

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 1,794.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 21
Just play your game and ignore what other players say

Unless you are in a tournament do whatever you want

Why do other players care? Sour Grapes and the idea of a "best" chest piece bothers them.

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Nunkuruji

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 6,796.50
The only thing I don't like about it is that it is still too well budgeted defensively for its weight. Whether backstab negation or reduction is in the game or not is up to From, and I don't worry about that.
I can see it in your eyes. If you didn't invade, didn't pillage, whatever would you do?
Phantom Build Guide Doc (non meta SL) (Thread)
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 43,666.50
Wiki Edits: 561
Well, that's fine. It'd be folly to say it's impossible for someone to be so good at backstabbing only to imply that you just aren't good enough at dodging backstabs.

In my own experience, I sometimes run into people who will do nothing but fish for backstabs if you aren't wearing a Jester's chest, Ironclad chest, or Gower's Ring. And you know what? I think it's stupid that backstabs have been so OP throughout the series that they've been a central part of the pvp metagames since Demon's Souls, and the only reason they weren't in Bloodborne is because they made it virtually impossible to pull off. So go ahead and wear that Jester's armor, I would too if I wasn't more concerned about dying for my fashion.

Praise-the-sun

Revived
Savior

Souls: 10,840.50
It's not that those players are so good at backstabbing, it's that you're just so wide open. You're using a halberd, a weapon with one of the longest recovery times.

Things to do?
-Keep your distance as much as possible, you're a halberd user, that's your strength.
-If they backstab fish, do a 2 handed R2(Spin attack)
-Don't do a jester, no one likes a jester. I mean I couldn't care less what your wear, but people will treat you differently.

Keep your back to the wall!!!! Good luck pete.

NPC_invader

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: Locked
Bank: Locked
Wiki Edits: 10
My defense consist in not looking like a clown when I duel. It helps.

Petehog

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,510.00
Praise-the-sun wrote:It's not that those players are so good at backstabbing, it's that you're just so wide open. You're using a halberd, a weapon with one of the longest recovery times.

Things to do?
-Keep your distance as much as possible, you're a halberd user, that's your strength.
-If they backstab fish, do a 2 handed R2(Spin attack)
-Don't do a jester, no one likes a jester. I mean I couldn't care less what your wear, but people will treat you differently.

Keep your back to the wall!!!! Good luck pete.

That's the thing. You're not understanding what I'm saying.

What I'm trying to say is this. Backstabs are undodgeable. I'm saying this from both sides. As a person who used to get backstabbed..but also now..as someone who does backstabs. People will tell me that I don't know how to dodge backstabs..only to get backstabbed by me. If they can't dodge me and I can't dodge them then aren't backstabs almost undodgeable? Also if you add back protection to the Syan's halberd, it becomes an extremely effective weapon.

LostMyHeadache

Revived
Savior

Souls: 68,002.50
Someone should host a Jester's set only tournament!
We're gonna need a bigger signature!

Seriously, can someone please make me a signature?

Wolfenstein

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,029.00
Backstabs in Dark Souls 2? Dude, try it and get combo'd by the tracking of a Longsword or a Warped Blade. I mean, well, you can try and use those weapons if you'd like.

Jesters is crap. Its a baaaaad armor. Backstabs are super-nerfed in Dark 2 to the point where two-handed combos are gonna deal more damage on average.
If you wear Jesters, your defenses take a solid hit, which'll make you more vulnerable to to combos, which are more dangerous than backstabs to begin with in Dark 2.

Backstabs are bad, Jesters is bad.

Leave that bad armor behind and start looking gooood with some Lucatiel armor.

XuitusTheGreat

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 1,794.50
Wiki Edits: 21
Wolfenstein wrote:start looking gooood with some Lucatiel armor.

Drakekeeper or go home

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon