Discuss the Witcher III and its wiki, share tips, discuss expansions and DLC!
Wiki: Visit the Witcher 3 Wiki

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 24,184.50
Wiki Edits: 29
The story, the characters etc all points to a great RPG game from the start.

But the fighting feels even more floaty than in a batman game where your character seems to have a life of his own, does not respond well because it is preoriented towards predefined behaviours during the fight...it is not accurate, it feels like there is half an autopilot integrated...

and gathering all freaking flower, picking gazillions of loot that are probably all linked to some crafting system, having to figure out 200 different crafting items / spells....

I just can't...I played 3 hours of this game and the best thing in it is that at least you have an autopilot on your horse so you can do something else in the countless minutes of traveling from point A to B from a quest!

the worst in this is that I am perfectly able to see how this is an awesome game if you have the time and patience for all this open world crap. but...not for me anymore.

I will never be able to play an third person action RPG game that has not been designed by from software as long as others cannot actually understand that there are now new minimum standards to these game that souls have set.

I would prefer to have the witcher 3 put as a movie rather than a game really. I would totally watch this. But i can't play this.

I guess I will have to try salt and sanctuary?
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!

LostMyHeadache

Revived
Savior

Souls: 68,081.50
That opening cutscene, tho!

But yeah ease your Soul with Salt & Sanctuary, I'm deeply hooked!
We're gonna need a bigger signature!

Seriously, can someone please make me a signature?

Nunkuruji

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 7,711.50
If you give it another shot, and want to enjoy the best parts of the game.

Stick to the Main Quest & Monster Contracts, imho the best content.
Skip the other quests, points of interest, crafting, flower picking - that all caters to open world advocates
Forget about potions other than Cat
And don't spec into potions
Maybe make the oils for recipes you happen to find, but not if it gets too tedious
Perhaps play an easier difficulty, since craft/potion buffage would be overlooked
I can see it in your eyes. If you didn't invade, didn't pillage, whatever would you do?
DS3 Phantom Build Guide Doc (non meta SL) (Thread)
DS:Re Phantom Build Guide Draft

LostMyHeadache

Revived
Savior

Nunkuruji wrote:If you give it another shot, and want to enjoy the best parts of the game.

Skip the other quests, points of interest, crafting, flower picking - that all caters to open world advocates
Maybe make the oils for recipes you happen to find, but not if it gets too tedious
Perhaps play an easier difficulty, since craft/potion buffage would be overlooked

Wow....

That's, like, a LOT to ignore...

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 24,184.50
Wiki Edits: 29
LostMyHeadache wrote:
Nunkuruji wrote:If you give it another shot, and want to enjoy the best parts of the game.

Wow....

but it sort of makes sense...either this or I play a last BB run on an arcane build...
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!

LostMyHeadache

Revived
Savior

announakis wrote:
LostMyHeadache wrote:

Wow....

but it sort of makes sense...either this or I play a last BB run on an arcane build...

That's what im doing!

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,285.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
announakis wrote:
LostMyHeadache wrote:

Wow....

I say arcane build. I am loving it, hunter tools, and all. The DLC arcane weapons are so fun.

I would not say that Soulsborne games set a standard for Action RPGs since, one, that is a broad category, and two, not everyone has the same preferences and likes the Souls games as much as everyone on this forum does. I think it's more a case that From didn't set a standard for Action RPGs, but created and popularized a new sub-genre for it, one that games like Lords of the Fallen and Salt & Sanctuary have tried to be as well.

Also, there is a Witcher movie, but I hear it sucks so bad, the writer of the books says it's s**t.
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."

cyseal

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 742.00
Game at the beginning has slow burn. It's so huge that you have to explore and get lost in the world to see it's grandeur.

GodlessCrom

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 10,417.00
Wiki Edits: 13
Witcher 3, and the Witcher series in general, is my favorite game/game series ever. Even moreso than the Soulsborne games. That being said, don't force yourself to play it if you're not into it. I love the series for its storyline, the world it creates, and the characters within it. I also enjoy the gameplay, but no, it is not on the same level as Soulsborne games in that sense. The way it presents its world and story and characters is also plainly different. Not superior necessarily, but just different.

I think they're highly enjoyable, but they are very different from Soulsborne games, despite looking similar on the surface.

If you do want to keep playing then I suggest ignoring all the flowers and loot. Literally, they aren't necessary. You will make enough money to just purchase ingredients from herbalists if you need to. Some of the loot can be useful for selling or tearing it down into crating components but it's not essential.

Concentrate on the main quest and side quests in each area. Don't do every side quest, but I would suggest at least doing some: they are very well-written and quite fun IMO. You can explore the open world as well, which can be fun, but is not necessary.

A lot of people really like Gwent for some reason. If you do, then it can be addicting I guess, but I was not a huge fan.

I actually really like the heavy armor+potions spec, but most people go magic+medium armor I think. Most of my points inevitably get specced into the sword combat tree however.

Appreciate the world and the characters in it. Geralt is a pretty cool character IMO (he's much more than he seems), and the various people he interacts with are often just as interesting, if not more so. Also, trust no one except other Witchers and Triss, and maybe Yennefer. Everyone else is a bastard-coated bastard with bastard filling.
Belphegor ain't my FatherMother

DangerMouse_nz

Casual
Convict

Souls: 346.00
you should keep at it. incredible game. combat is fine.

I've finished the game + the expansion. still some great monster contract quests etc left.