Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Vahn_Narsamee

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 1,554.00
Wiki Edits: 1
I'm currently reading my Humanities book for college (fantastic course) and we're currently on the Romans.

To the point: In Roman society, responsibility for the family was given to the father. The life and death of the entire family was controlled by the father.

This form of paternal control is known as manus.

Even a son was not allowed to own property or be fully independent unless his father had allowed it (ownership could also be revoked).

Releasing a son (emancipation), was known as releasing him from manus.

A woman could also fall under manus once her father signed her off to marry a man.

I don't know if this has been talked about or mentioned by anyone (I'm sure dn1nd knows this) but it caught my attention.

Any thoughts or comments?

Edit: adding to post, changed title.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

GrinTwist

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 3,807.00
Bank: 2,449.50
Wiki Edits: 699
It seems like the name Manus has several meanings in a few different cultures and languages. I remember in Spanish it translates into "the hand" which might have been used for a bit of inspiration on the design of the boss due to Manus's oversized hand.

I think it's because of how often you find the name in different cultures they were able to use the name itself to their advantage lorewise. Personally though, I had no idea about the Roman meaning behind it.
Currently undergoing a dangerous adventure with a friendly dragon.

Forum Guidelines | Wiki Hub | Article Hub | Wiki Editing Guide
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 39,338.00
Wiki Edits: 114
You're talking about the Roman Manus Marriage practices Right?

A Marriage Cum Manu is Often A Marriage under A Father Selected Groom/Bride. The interesting part is the Cum Manu in a Manus Marriage would roughly translate or be synonymous with the term hand selected.

Nice cultural reference you brought up, it could definitely have significance given Manus' Father role.

In the end his name is all about hands. Which seems fitting since the Dark Wraith From the abyss use Dark Hands to collect humanity.

Shop Icon

Vahn_Narsamee

Obsessed
Commander

I'm glad this post gave some sort of insight! haha.

And yes, I was referring to the role of manus in marriage, but also as a paternal role in general.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 39,338.00
Wiki Edits: 114
Given that Manus' Daughter have Dusks appearance Could Manus have grabbed Dusk to try to marry her through the version of Cum Manu called Usus?

In Usus a man an woman would be considered married if they cohabitated for a year. this marriage could be willing or unwilling and for a woman to get out of it she needed to leave for 3 days and 3 nights. This could have been Manus' attempt to forcefully restart his family with a strong enough soul to withstand the abyss.

Shop Icon

zgillet

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 496.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 9
Remember that his full moniker is Manus, Father of the Abyss. So not only does Manus refer to his prevalent hand, but also his paternal overlook of the Abyss itself.

Byrgenwerth... Byrgenwerth...
Blasphemous murderers... Blood-crazed fiends.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Vahn_Narsamee

Obsessed
Commander

dn1nd wrote:Given that Manus' Daughter have Dusks appearance Could Manus have grabbed Dusk to try to marry her through the version of Cum Manu called Usus?

In Usus a man an woman would be considered married if they cohabitated for a year. this marriage could be willing or unwilling and for a woman to get out of it she needed to leave for 3 days and 3 nights. This could have been Manus' attempt to forcefully restart his family with a strong enough soul to withstand the abyss.

That's actually an interesting perspective when looked at with the perspective of Roman culture.
VIP

JohnnyHarpoon

Revived
Savior

Big Boss

Souls: 178.00
Bank: 15,636.50
Wiki Edits: 22
unrelated to the Roman etymology, but 'Manus' is also essentially a colloquial Hungarian equivalent to 'guy' or 'man'. considering him being referred to a 'primeval man', this comes as no surprise, really.

this is a fun little page, i can't imagine there's much not covered here:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/manus
"We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future."