For the PvP nuts! Debate tactics, discuss builds, and set up duels. Play nice.
 provided you are given to opportunity to buff, what do you do?
Total votes : 36
1) I do not buff.
33%
2) I buff my weapon only.
19%
3) I buff myself only (GMB, homing soul masses and other denials)
14%
4) I buff both my weapon and myself.
33%

Plouto777

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 4,982.00
Petehog wrote:
Plouto777 wrote:I don't really care about buffs.
I buff my weapon only when my opponent has buffed and if I have a spell buff available on the character, I don't use resigns and such, the only time I may "buff" on my own is when I use yorgh spear and I'm against elemental damage, then I consume a burr.

Buffs just make fights shorter which is a bad thing for me, I know some people want to be done as soon as possible (don't know why) but I am not one of them.

Totally off topic but I'm curious..since there are very few Yorgh Spear users. Which attack do you like to use out of the Yorgh Spear (1handed r1, 2 handed r1, r2) ? And how do you handle scrappy and fast fighters with the Yorgh spear? Whenever I use it, it seems like it's either hard for me to catch my opponents or they roll and backstab me (provided I'm not wearing Jesters).
Like with every weapon you should alternate between one hand and two hands.
Knowing how to play unlocked is almost a must with this weapon.
ALWAYS use Leo ring
You have to be very unpredictable since this weapon is very easily parried (I think it can also be reaction parried)
I use most attacks but I try to avoid the one handed run attack since it easily misses and gets parried and the one handed second strong attack which may hit an unsuspecting opponent but it is a high risk.
Other than that I use the one hand to control my opponent and two hands to deal the damage.

Light attacks on both modes are hit checks, if the first hit lands follow it up if not stop or you will get backstabbed (unless if they roll towards the first hit)

For one hand:
Strong attack is used to punish people that roll behind you, just unlock and aim back.

Rolling attack is very useful since it comes out surprisingly fast and it can throw of slippery opponents.

Run attack is useful for covering long distances and for hitting people rolling backwards but remember that it is risky since it is easily parried and it has a narrow hitbox.

Also harass them with shield pokes

For two hand:
Strong attack is not used a lot since it consumes a lot of stamina and leaves you vulnerable but I think it is great for two reasons, yorgh spear is one of the longest weapons in the game and it is extremely difficult to get away without knowing the timing to use I-frames on the spin. Due to the nature of yorgh spear you will want your enemies to be always in front of you, this attack helps you control people who are slippery and try to get behind you.
Yorgh spear greatly favors high end since you can get many devastating combos and use the spin2win follow up that nobody expects (keep in mind that it will miss if the target is anywhere but in front of you).
When you use this attack always unlock and turn around while doing it, it messes with people that know the timing.

Rolling attack is amazing again for two reasons, the spears reach makes it difficult to evade and it is great for roll punishes, make somebody roll, roll with them, delay your attack just a little and BOOM you caught them in the roll.

Run/backstep attack is you bread and butter. You want to use it a lot but be careful, it hits multiple times making it even easier to parry.
What to do with this move:
Animation cancel the hell out of it so that your opponent gets confused and does not know what to do; roll?
Parry?stand still and attack?
Classic backstep counter an attack, if the weapon they are using has long recovery they won't be able to avoid the pain train.
Thanks to its knock back it disrupts the opponent's momentum making it frustrating.

So that's your yorgh spear guide, it takes a lot to master this bad boy but once you do, you will be someone to be feared.

If you have the game on ps3 or ps4 we can add each other up and practice together.

Earl_deVille

Souls: 240.00
I hardly ever buff and only will do so with resins, if my opponent buffs first, but not every time...having said that I lose more duels than I win so I probably should buff more....

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 21,179.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Plouto777 wrote:Buffs just make fights shorter which is a bad thing for me, I know some people want to be done as soon as possible (don't know why)

Because they would otherwise lose?
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you once, but then I got a [dark souls] in the knee.
so...
A hoonter must hoont!

mothereternity

Souls: 3,058.00
Bank: 1,263.00
Wiki Edits: 896
If you invade me I'll do whatever i need to to win. In arena I won't buff.
Bound to the FEXUS

Even in darkness we need the light. Forum Rules to guide you thru t2/forum-guidelines/
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,906.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Usually GMB or the better of the regen miracles. Runnibg buffless (including item buffs) is just gimping yourself. All things being equal the appropriately buffed player will win.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

Juli

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,723.50
Depends on the game.

DeS: I used buffing and non-buffing builds, though I leaned towards preferring builds that could use buffs, but were not dependent on them (E.G., dual kat/estoc dex, DBS vit-gouge). Obviously SC was mandatory on every build.

DkS: Almost never used weapon buffs, I thought it was too easy to turtle them out and too hard to re-cast them. I used the Regeneration miracle on most builds, because wow it was a lot of HP for little investment.

DkS2: For just about every build I made, I found the amount of power you got out of buffs relative to how many stats they required to be too good to pass on. I typically had points in Faith and Intelligence just to get elemental resistances anyways, so Dark Weapon and SO max duration was easy to get on top of that. Attunement stat could be left at 10, then witch hat + ring gives enough slots for the buffs. They are just very, very powerful for the investment required, not worth foregoing. Vs. opponent with high elemental damage, I replace SO with those elemental resistance burrs, w/e they're called.

Bloodborne: I typically use Blue Elixer, but I don't PvP often in BB. Also I guess BMA counts as a buff? I use that in a couple builds.
This is harsh, please evaluate me.

Petehog

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,510.00
Plouto777 wrote:
Petehog wrote:
Plouto777 wrote:I don't really care about buffs.
I buff my weapon only when my opponent has buffed and if I have a spell buff available on the character, I don't use resigns and such, the only time I may "buff" on my own is when I use yorgh spear and I'm against elemental damage, then I consume a burr.

Buffs just make fights shorter which is a bad thing for me, I know some people want to be done as soon as possible (don't know why) but I am not one of them.

Totally off topic but I'm curious..since there are very few Yorgh Spear users. Which attack do you like to use out of the Yorgh Spear (1handed r1, 2 handed r1, r2) ? And how do you handle scrappy and fast fighters with the Yorgh spear? Whenever I use it, it seems like it's either hard for me to catch my opponents or they roll and backstab me (provided I'm not wearing Jesters).
Like with every weapon you should alternate between one hand and two hands.
Knowing how to play unlocked is almost a must with this weapon.
ALWAYS use Leo ring
You have to be very unpredictable since this weapon is very easily parried (I think it can also be reaction parried)
I use most attacks but I try to avoid the one handed run attack since it easily misses and gets parried and the one handed second strong attack which may hit an unsuspecting opponent but it is a high risk.
Other than that I use the one hand to control my opponent and two hands to deal the damage.

Light attacks on both modes are hit checks, if the first hit lands follow it up if not stop or you will get backstabbed (unless if they roll towards the first hit)

For one hand:
Strong attack is used to punish people that roll behind you, just unlock and aim back.

Rolling attack is very useful since it comes out surprisingly fast and it can throw of slippery opponents.

Run attack is useful for covering long distances and for hitting people rolling backwards but remember that it is risky since it is easily parried and it has a narrow hitbox.

Also harass them with shield pokes

For two hand:
Strong attack is not used a lot since it consumes a lot of stamina and leaves you vulnerable but I think it is great for two reasons, yorgh spear is one of the longest weapons in the game and it is extremely difficult to get away without knowing the timing to use I-frames on the spin. Due to the nature of yorgh spear you will want your enemies to be always in front of you, this attack helps you control people who are slippery and try to get behind you.
Yorgh spear greatly favors high end since you can get many devastating combos and use the spin2win follow up that nobody expects (keep in mind that it will miss if the target is anywhere but in front of you).
When you use this attack always unlock and turn around while doing it, it messes with people that know the timing.

Rolling attack is amazing again for two reasons, the spears reach makes it difficult to evade and it is great for roll punishes, make somebody roll, roll with them, delay your attack just a little and BOOM you caught them in the roll.

Run/backstep attack is you bread and butter. You want to use it a lot but be careful, it hits multiple times making it even easier to parry.
What to do with this move:
Animation cancel the hell out of it so that your opponent gets confused and does not know what to do; roll?
Parry?stand still and attack?
Classic backstep counter an attack, if the weapon they are using has long recovery they won't be able to avoid the pain train.
Thanks to its knock back it disrupts the opponent's momentum making it frustrating.

So that's your yorgh spear guide, it takes a lot to master this bad boy but once you do, you will be someone to be feared.

If you have the game on ps3 or ps4 we can add each other up and practice together.

Holy cow, you've got this weapon down to a science. I'll tinker with it and try what you've mentioned. I'm on PC SOTFS. I actually never used it unlocked but it makes sense that it would be far more effective using it in that way.

Petehog

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,510.00
Here's my two cents.

I think everyone buffs. But the really good ones don't.

Let me elaborate

By default, most people buff.

The ones that don't buff fall into two categories.

a) He doesn't buff but loses to me
b) He doesn't buff but he wins.

If he is in category A. He'll buff after a few rounds.

If he is in category B, well he's in category B.

So pretty much..everyone I've fought..buffs.

Except the good ones or the ones that can kick my *** non-buffing.

Plouto777

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 4,982.00
Petehog wrote:Holy cow, you've got this weapon down to a science. I'll tinker with it and try what you've mentioned. I'm on PC SOTFS. I actually never used it unlocked but it makes sense that it would be far more effective using it in that way.

Don't be afraid to PM me if you have any questions.

DanteWTF

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,361.00
I never buff. I think it makes me a better player gimping myself slightly without it. I allow all other players to do whatever they want because I never want that excuse "you didn't let me buff blah blah." I don't care if anyone buffs, it is in the game for a reason, for advantages. I prefer not to, I have almost 200 videos posted and I think I buffed bleed like once and buffed a ladle with dark once or something haha.